IGNORED

Mohawk Trail and (not) Mt Greylock

bmw_keith

Last Saturday, 6/2.

I started out in Dunstable,MA - back roads across Groton and Ayer to Route2 and just kept going. This year I'm definitely going to make this run in the fall. The goal was to go west on Rt2 until North Adams, south on Mt Greylock Rd and Rockwell Rd through Mt Greylock State Reservation, north on 7 and then east on 9 to Brattleboro and then home. Of course that didn't exactly happen. With my new GPS, I'm finding it harder to stay on my routes but that's a good thing.

getting some gas the sun was breaking through

CIMG6165.jpg

My first stop was at this bridge:

CIMG6169.jpg

CIMG6170.jpg

CIMG6171.jpg

obligatory pic of my bike

CIMG6176.jpg

a small trail led me below the bridge

CIMG6177.jpg

CIMG6178.jpg

of course, others had been here as well

CIMG6182.jpg

after breakfast, a short stop to look at Turners Falls. Maybe next time I'll turn off.

CIMG6184.jpg

CIMG6186.jpg

Then came Shelburne Falls. Picturesque small (old mill?) town. Large Dam

CIMG6187.jpg

Can someone explain why the dam is topped with plywood? There is one near my house with the same design.

CIMG6190.jpg

CIMG6191.jpg

I believe they called these rocks, "prehistoric potholes". Very smooth

CIMG6194.jpg

This dam also had a section that could be moved mechanically.

CIMG6195.jpg

downstream

CIMG6197.jpg

CIMG6198.jpg

CIMG6199.jpg

CIMG6200.jpg

A small attraction outside of town. I'll have to bring the kids another time. We've visited train and trolley museum all across the country.

CIMG6201.jpg

CIMG6205.jpg

I like this one. Reminds me of what this whole stretch probably looked like 40 years ago. Is the word "kitsch?"

CIMG6207.jpg

Damn, did I take a wrong turn?

CIMG6208.jpg

View from the Eastern Summit. Hazy that day. Another gift shop not unlike the last one. Boarded up Motel across the street.

CIMG6209.jpg

this could be fun or dangerous or both.

CIMG6212.jpg

looking down toward north adams

CIMG6214.jpg

CIMG6217.jpg

and then finally after getting crossed up on the GPS and ending up on a dirt road (poor RT!), I found this. Apparently there is construction until next year on the road. Maybe I should have bought a GS. Oh well.

CIMG6220.jpg

I turned around, went south on Rt8, nw on 116 and caught up with 2 eventually. A couple of nice shots on the way back.

CIMG6221.jpg

CIMG6222.jpg

On the way back, I just had to stop for some road food. I recommend the potato and cheese pierogi. home made and sauted. Reminds me I haven't made any in a long time. Instead I've ordered from Millie's http://www.milliespierogi.com/

CIMG6224.jpg

As a matter of fact my wife bought me a book titled "Road Food" with a bunch of places that I keep meaning to go, but I just end up find new ones.

CIMG6226.jpg

If the rain stops today. maybe I'll go out again....

Firefight911

Wow!!

Some absolutely beautiful shots of some beautiful places!!

Thanks for taking us along.

Loved the shots from under the bridge. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Nice picture's Keith. Its too bad about missing Greylock, same thing happened to me about a month ago. Keep the storys coming, we are bound to cross paths out there. thumbsup.gif

Pat

Archived