IGNORED

joint pain

Missouri Bob

Missouri Bob

As I age, I find that “extended” time in the saddle is less comfortable than it had been. Within 100 miles, I start to get dull low-level pain in my leg joints.

Over the past three days, I rode 1250 miles. The level and onset of pain did not change as the days progressed. Last night, the aching in my legs awakened me. It felt much like the build-up of lactic acid I experience when I exercise too much.

Could the joint pain be attributable to lactic acid? If so, how can I reduce that?

Thanks.

Bob

ShovelStrokeEd

No to the lactic acid, that is a muscle thing, not joint.

First thing is to see a doctor or two and find out why. Could be some deterioration within the joints, could be bone spurs, could just be your riding position or the tensions you are applying to maintain that position.

A little ibuprofen before setting out will help with the symptoms but won't fix the cause.

Which joints are we talking about here? Knees? Ankles? Hips? Are you sure it is joints and not tendons? My knees have all sorts of things wrong with them and the biggest problem I encounter when riding is the fact that I maintain my knees at a pretty extreme angle. I counter that by sliding forward and back in my seat to vary that angle a bit, taking my feet off the pegs and just letting them hang for short periods when I'm on a straight section of road and even standing up on the pegs for a bit.

The key is to do all of this stuff before the discomfort sets in. The pain is an indication that something is pissed off. Think of it as a burn. Putting your hand back on the pot handle is not going to make it better. You want to get the pot holder first. You might also try some stretching exercises. Talk to the doctor about those as well.

At first, I thought you were referring to this Deputies find 560 pounds of pot in truck.

Have you tried increasing your water intake? Supposed to help reduce leg cramps... may work here. If nothing else, you'll be taking more frequent "rest stops" and walking around.

I've got a similar situation with my right leg. I'm convinced that the right peg is set-up differently than the left.

Bob: water, ibuprofen, Alleve work for me. I have arthritis in knees and feet, but no problem doing a few hundred miles a day on the RT. It's getting off the bike that hurts.:(

OT do you know Teresa Crush/Warren in Nederland? Tell her hi from Safety Bill.

Missouri Bob

Thanks for the information.

I do change leg positions frequently, and even rest my ankles on the valve covers. It helps, but not enough.

This was not a problem 30 years ago.

Bob

Missouri Bob

OT do you know Teresa Crush/Warren in Nederland? Tell her hi from Safety Bill.

I've met Teresa, but I don't really know her that well. I'll say something if I get the chance.

Missouri Bob

Which joints are we talking about here? Knees? Ankles? Hips? Are you sure it is joints and not tendons?

Talk to the doctor about those as well.

Knees, ankles, and hips. Good question about tendons. Not sure how I would make that determination.

I like my doctor, but she does not like my motorcycling habit.

Bob

Bob:

I have had hip pain for seveal years that seems to be exacerbated by motorcycling. Since I don't plan to give up motorcycles, I do some exercises, with elastic bands for resistance, to strenghten the muscles in my hips and thighs. There are also some stretches for the hip that are pretty effective. This, along with some anti inflammatories on occasion, seems to help control my pain. You might want to ask your doc whether a home exercise program would help and see if you can get a PT referral for a few visits. I suppose you don't have to tell her the pain is caused by sitting on the motorcycle . . . doesn't it bother you sitting on the couch as well?

Bob, Knee pain is the reason I finally traded my RT for a HD Road glide..

When I first got the RT three years ago, everything was fine, could do 500 miles with just a stiff back. The knee pain started about two years ago after a few hundred miles and got progressively worse despite highway pegs, leg stretches, Advil, etc. When it got so it started at 50 miles, I knew I had better start looking for another bike or give up touring.

I looked at Goldwing and BMW LT but they didn't have the freedom of movement the HD gave with the floorboards and highway pegs. The Harley is a beast but it sure is more comfortable for my old body. Have taken two trips (1k & 2k) on it with no pain and eagerly planing for the next trip.

My experience has included knee, back and wrist pain at different times. Wrist pain was a by product of riding the ZZR 1200. I tried every position imaginable, raised the bars 1 3/4 inches etc..reality is if your 6-3 210 pounds and 58 years old it's gonna hurt. On the RT after my second knee surgery it was touch and go for awhile. As time passed so did the pain associated with the Eddie Accaro riding position. I must admit that the bus (aka Road King) remains the most painless ride. Beach bars, Corbin, floor boards and highway pegs provide numerous seating positions. The problem is/was the other options were more fun to ride.

As one who, at age 57, had one knee replaced and now am ready for the second, I know what you mean. My biggest problem is stiffening of joints after being in basically one positon for too long. The bike is fairly taxing, but sitting at my desk or computer can yield the same ache if I sit too long.

I am on Celebrex 200 daily and it only dampens the pain. I was planning on the second replacement this spring, but buying a new GT last fall made me postpone it. To that, I have added Verholen peg extensions and am waiting on a new Corbin that they have raised one inch. (I have 34" inseems) so I must keep my knees relaxed or stretched or moved every so often.

All-day rides have become near impossible; sure I can do it with stops, but pay all night long. At 60, I wonder how much longer I can "tour". Every time they start screaming, I try to recall some of my wild ski ventures to VT and Europe--that's where I spent them! Good luck.

Which joints are we talking about here? Knees? Ankles? Hips? Are you sure it is joints and not tendons?

Talk to the doctor about those as well.

Knees, ankles, and hips. Good question about tendons. Not sure how I would make that determination.

I like my doctor, but she does not like my motorcycling habit.

Bob

You can always find a new doctor. grin.gif

I stick my legs straight out from time to time. Stand up. Put weight on the pegs and lift my butt off the saddle. Let my legs dangle behind me.

Frequent change of position help the most.

Good luck.

A previous doctor of mine recommended glucosamine for arthritic spine issues I was having. It appears to have reduced my back spasm attacks almost to a non-issue. Since I have been taking it twice daily, I can run a few times a week again, which I hadn't been able to do for years. Just breaking into a short run used to cause me pain in my ankles for hours.

If your joint pain is cartilage decay induced, you may wish to consider glucosamine and perhaps chondroitin as well. Ask your doctor for an opinion, but I am a firm believer.

Lots of stretches and back/core strengthening every morning and sometimes evenings have done wonders for me. These where all learned after a micro discectomy on my L4/L5 vertabrae about 2 years ago. I used to think because I worked and played hard that I was strong/in shape. I found out how weak my mid section had become over the years even though I looked relatively in shape. While this doesn't seem to apply to joint pain, you'd be suprised how much it helps on your overall body strength, endurance, and posture in many situations. Dave

I was thniking of making a thread like this myself. Yesterday I did a measly 120 miles on the R-Bike... lots of mountain and canyon, not many straight bits involved. Last night and tonight too, the lower back or I should say the area just below the shoulder blades is still a little stiff and hurts a bit.

I have been trying to learn the Master Yoda Riding Position, but it sure did nothing for yesterday's ride except make me feel like the bike was handling great, as it does, and that I was a master rider..., but I digress.

At 63 I think I am beginning to feel the miles. I have the Road Glide on the market- to trade for a K1200GT... do you think things will get better on the GT?

I sure hope so, I am in love with that bike. I don't mean I think I like it- I can't stop thinking about it, I am obsessed.

What if I sell the Glide and don't like the GT? Man I'll be screwed then! That's not possible is it? Please say no.

What could it be- more exercise? more strength training? more pull back on the bars. Any thoughts welcomed. confused.gif

Archived