IGNORED

speedometer error (the other type)

Missouri Bob

Missouri Bob

The other day, I experienced a situation where the ST's speedo indicated a speed LOWER (by almost 20%) than my actual speed. I stopped, and re-booted, and everything returned to normal. Has anyone else seen this?

Bob

• 1 year later...
Missouri Bob

It happened again, twice. When I first noticed the mis-reading, the speedometer was showing about 40 mph when I was actually doing 60-70 mph. I didn't stop and reboot. Over the next few minutes, the speedometer's reading continued to decrease even though my actual speed did not. At an indicated 10 mph, I decided that I had seen enough, stopped the bike, and re-booted. Everything back to normal.

Several hundred miles later, it started again. This time, I momentarily shut off the ignition (while still moving). The speedometer came back, partially. It still showed a reduced speed, although not as bad as before the ignition shut-down. I repeated the shut-down two more times; gaining speedo accuracy each time.

I would like to get this addressed before the warranty expires. Anyone else seen this?

Bob

Jim VonBaden

Yes, and in the cases I am familiar with, the speed sensor had excessive metal particles on them from a possibly failing final drive.

Jim :Cool:

Missouri Bob

Interesting.

As it so happens, I changed the final drive just after returning from the latest trip (when the speedo error was seen). There was a very small amount of metal on the sensor. Just to get more data, I collected the final drive oil in a jar, and left a magnet in the jar to collect anything additional. Nothing.

Don't scare me with that f/d failure stuff! FWIW, mine has 21K on it.

Bob

Yes, and in the cases I am familiar with, the speed sensor had excessive metal particles on them from a possibly failing final drive.

Jim :Cool:

That would be my guess to.

I had a Harley do the same thing, removed the sensor (it's on the tranny on an HD) cleaned the shavings off of it, and solved the problem...

A single faulty speed sensor seems suspicious to me if your ST has ABS installed. The ABS system should have set a code and indicated "brake failure" on the dash if only one sensor's output were questionable.

I don't think you can compare the H-D with the BMW since the H-D does not have ABS.

I may be wrong, but it seems to me the problem resides elsewhere.

My $0.05 (adjusted for inflation) :-)

Missouri Bob

That's a good point. Particularly since failing f/ds are so common :), I would have expected more riders to have experienced the changing speedometer syndrome. The cynic in me says that all will be revealed after the warranty expires.

Bob

Missouri Bob

More data: It started again today after about 30 miles on the highway. Since I cleaned the speed sensor within the last 100 miles, I doubt that it has accumulated any debris.

This appears to be getting worse, and if I am fortunate, will be something I can show the dealer while the ST is still under warranty.

Bob

The same thing happened to my 05 ST when it was still low miles.

The dealer couldn't find anything but asked if it was "sticking"

Once I said the magic words, they replaced the instrument cluster and it went away for good (20,000 miles ago). They had a little trouble with the version of the instrument vs. the software. The new info screen looks a little different but it is better in sunlight and has worked ever since.

Archived