Quiet pipes

gasser

Any other HD guys on this forum that are impressed with quiet pipes? Before I got my RT, I used to run the loudest pipes I could find on my bikes. The RT convinced me that it's nice to hear the purr of the engine. I have toned down my dresser pipes and hesitating on changing our factory pipes on my softail. Am I becoming a noise Nazi? eek.gif

Probably. The most anti-smoking, self-righteous people are always the ex-smokers. Now that you've overcome the noise addiction, it'll be time to go on a crusade.

"Once I was lost, but now I'm found." Let's all join together and sing Amazing Grace.

I still like playing both sides of the street. I run Sreaming Eagle II pipes on my Softail Deuce. Great sound but not as loud as Vance & Hines and similar products. And, I enjoy the growl (?) of my 1200 RT. It depends on my mood. Now, let's not get into performance characteristics of the two while we're at it!

I just moved to the dark side of the loud pipes. However I did compromise because the Akrapovic that I put on sounds like a formula one car when I rev the engine above 5K RPM. But, if I am gentle on the throttle then the bikes purrs along fairly quietly. It is a nice balance between performance and everyday riding. I like it!

Cheers!

I like your faith metaphor for exhaust pipe noise.

So we've got redemption in the OP, and various degrees of backsliding in the responses.

lmao.giflmao.gif

I had the same experience. Bought a RT and started running with Beemer types, nest thing ya know, I prefer quiet bikes.

Wish somebody would make exhausts for Harleys that increased performance but not the noise. The market demands noise first, better performance is OK but not necessary.

Calvin  (no socks)

I loved the Purr of the Muffler on your bike... I didn't hear it above 5k though....Maybe next spring (Torrey XV. !)

Any other HD guys on this forum that are impressed with quiet pipes? Before I got my RT, I used to run the loudest pipes I could find on my bikes.
Even as a Harley owner, I never understood the fascination with loud pipes - and I don't see how someone could ride an hour or more with loud pipes. I've tried it and I found it fatiguing as hell. I'm not particular impressed with the wet fart of the boxer but once I'm riding, I don't even notice it - and that makes the ride much less mentally taxing.

Or to put it another way, I'm secure with the size of my p**** so I don't need loud pipes. wink.gif

I've had more ladies say to me: "Your bike is so quiet! I love it!!"

Then I usually say: "It's not a Harley."

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Am I becoming a noise Nazi?
No, I think you are just becoming more aware that there are other facets to motorcycling to be enjoyed beyond the 'look at me' narcissism of noisy pipes.

thumbsup.gif

bakerzdosen

My girlfriend - who is completely new to motorcycles - asked me on the ride down to Torrey "It seems to me that Harley's make so much more noise than your bike. Why is that? It's kinda annoying."

I didn't quite know how to answer her. So, I decided to just said that despite physics, some people believe that it makes them safer to ride. And that was that.

I prefer the sounds of XM radio and an IPOD to that of loud pipes. The boss of the family wouldn't let me ride a loud bike anyway. She doesn't like them. lmao.giflmao.gif

I'd say that if anything the loud pipes are more dangerous. I know sometimes when driving in the car and some incredibly loud bike passes me I don't hear it until it's at the drivers door. Then I catch my self jerking to see what the $^@* that noise is!!

beemer_me_up

While riding home from work one evening I was sitting at a red light along side a mini-van with a soccer mom taking her kids to soccer practice. She rolled down her window and thanked me. I asked why she was thanking me. She said your bike is so quite. I find it quite refreshing. The light changed and I rode off thinking how many other people to the loud pipe people aggravate in thier pursuit of looking cool. Just my two cents worth. wave.gif

tom collins

i still have the stock pipes (lightly drilled out) on my harley after about a year and a half. i keep going back and forth on the issue. i would like more rumble and power, but don't want noise headaches either. most folks know that for an investment of about $1,000, you can get about 10-12 more hp and ft lbs of torque. i did see a review of a set of pipes with electric servos so you could have quiet when needed and open then up when practical to do so. i might eventually try those. for those hd riders out there, you know that you can get the feel of loud pipes just by riding behind 2 or 3 other hd riders because at least one of them is sure to have loud pipes.

ironically, i had a z-tech pipe on my RT. it caused the bars to buzz more, so i sold it.

tom collins

04 1150rt

06 fxdwgli

Any other HD guys on this forum that are impressed with quiet pipes? Before I got my RT, I used to run the loudest pipes I could find on my bikes. The RT convinced me that it's nice to hear the purr of the engine. I have toned down my dresser pipes and hesitating on changing our factory pipes on my softail. Am I becoming a noise Nazi? eek.gif

I have an FLHX and when I purchased pipes I was looking for light rumble, yet not loud enough to drown out the stereo. I bought some Rush slip-ons with 1.75" baffles (second smallest), thinking they would be rather quiet. They aren't, but are on the threshold of what I was looking for, so they are keepers. The smaller baffles also enhance low-end TQ, which is far more important to me than peak HP. I like being able to pass a truck quickly by the twist of the wrist and no downshifting.

I find straight pipes obnoxious, and don't understand the mindset of using them. HD's have a charismatic sound when muffled enough to smooth the tone to a moderate rumble, but straight pipes are harsh and obnoxious for my taste. I know of no HD owner that hasn't made some modification to their exhaust system, usually in the form of aftermarket slip-on replacements. That's okay as long as the DB level remains civil, IMO.

My brain thinks I was riding a Harley with straight-pipes last night...does that count?

[story]Last night, my little ole' Civic had a hole in the exhaust, right around the catalytic converter...then, suddenly, when I was half an hour away from home, ready to go into a Bela Fleck concert, it broke, dopeslap.gif and I couldn't hear myself think!

Needless to say, I was endlessly grateful for the dear folks at the parking garage who were (race)car junkies and fixed the exhaust from dragging down with a piece of wire. I saw my concert, and drove home at 11pm, embarrassed to heck and rousing the neighbors! (very glad much of it was downhill! I went into neutral as much as possible to minimize the racket!)[/story]

Needless to say, I've had about all I can stand of the Harley straight-pipe noise lmao.gif already got my dear car in and out of the shop, can't confuse the poor gal's identity! eek.gif

Tom

I hear ya on the pipes. I had SE slip-ons for my 01 Dresser. They were fine--a little rumble. Just enough to let out the sound. Then, I made a huge mistake. I bought a pair of Santee slip-ons because they looked good on the wall of the HD dealer. He insisted that I would need a SE air filter kit and because of that the guy in service convinced me I needed PC III. $1,000 later, I hated the sound--way too loud and it popped like my old M-60 machine gun in Nam. Did I mention my mpg went to hell? I pulled off th pipes after 300 miles, put the SE back on and love the quiet rumble that lets me know what I'm riding but I don't wake up the neighbors.

Just bought a 2007 Softail custom and had the 1,000 mile service done today. I may not do anything with the pipes. This is the curse of my buying a BMW last year--I kind of like the sound of the engine without the noise. At most, I may pop out the baffle plug and put in a lollipop for torque. Just enough rumble but way too quiet to bother anyone.

By the way, did you see the firestorm I caused on another thread about Denver? Talking to these BMW guys about noise is like talking to the Harley guys about Hillary. lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Paul Mihalka

As I work the BMW line in a Harley/BMW/Yamaha/Ducati dealership, many people, mostly ladies, come up to me and tell me how much they like the BMW bikes because they are not loud. I tell them that there are no loud bikes, only loud riders. I explain that all street legal bikes come quiet from the factory. When they hear a loud bike, it is because the owner made it so. They have a hard time believing it.

Woody

You know what they say: Better living through chemistry. As long as it isn't dioxin. BTW, did you see the article in USA Today--this AM or yesterday--about Da Nang and agent orange residue?

baggerchris

Smokey, my 1997 Heritage Softail Classic has a HD touring muffler on it. A little louder than stock but very mellow and nice. I make my partner who has thunder headers ride behind me. One of the things I don't particularly like about HD's in general is the mechanical noise coming from the engine, not out of the pipe. I prefer a quiet engine with little of no tappet/other noise, but I do enjoy a good healthy low pitched Harley rumble. So you can judge for yourself; my wife and I can converse at speed on Smokey without screaming, and that is nice.

As I work the BMW line in a Harley/BMW/Yamaha/Ducati dealership, many people, mostly ladies, come up to me and tell me how much they like the BMW bikes because they are not loud. I tell them that there are no loud bikes, only loud riders. I explain that all street legal bikes come quiet from the factory. When they hear a loud bike, it is because the owner made it so. They have a hard time believing it.
clap.gif
tom collins

chris: they quieted the mech noise a great deal in 06 and were able to fit a slightly louder muffler as standard.

joke: these boys take their noise seriously around here. don't know how they feel about hillary though.

ride well

tom collins

I just spent Saturday in the mountains setting up summer camp for the kids going up there this year. It is quite secluded and very peaceful. There was every kind of bike going up the mountain and all seemed great. About every 30 to 45 minutes the area would be destroyed by someone with obnoxiously loud pipes that would echo for miles in every direction. This went on all day long and I was there for just the day. I feel sorry for the residents who have to deal with this invasion of riders and their overcompensating lust for their inadequate genitalia. It wasn't just V-twins. The sport bikers are just as guilty of this violation of peace and solitude. Too bad they sell those pipes to everyone.

Agent_Orange

Na. Don't get that 'fish-wrapper'.

For some reason, that is one of the problems I don't have from RVN. The guys I know that do have problems related to that.......... well, let's just say it isn't pretty. frown.gif

Loud was fun when I was a little younger. NOTHING sounded better or more intimidating than an 85 V-Max with a Kerker on it! But it gets old, and I hate getting pulled over at 1:00 a.m. getting threatened with tickets, or pissing the neighbors off (I can't blame them). My Z-technic with the baffler in it is not obnoxious loud, and the cops don't look twice at it!

harleyjohn45

my last few harleys have had chromewerks mufflers with all the baffles in them, but now i'm going back to stock on the ultra classic. i believe a stock harley muffler makes a little more noise than a stock bmw muffler. anyway stock is loud enough for me, guess i'm getting old.

I just spent Saturday in the mountains setting up summer camp for the kids going up there this year. It is quite secluded and very peaceful. There was every kind of bike going up the mountain and all seemed great. About every 30 to 45 minutes the area would be destroyed by someone with obnoxiously loud pipes that would echo for miles in every direction. This went on all day long and I was there for just the day. I feel sorry for the residents who have to deal with this invasion of riders and their overcompensating lust for their inadequate genitalia. It wasn't just V-twins. The sport bikers are just as guilty of this violation of peace and solitude. Too bad they sell those pipes to everyone.

They're everywhere anyone wants to go. There will be serious backlash in the future for letting violaters get away with it. Like banning motorcycles.

I was trying to figure out where to retire to lately. I can't think of any spot in the US where I won't have to put up with these inconsiderate/not courteous assholes.

I'm moving to an island I guess. (Damn loud boat motors wink.gif)

... most folks know that for an investment of about $1,000, you can get about 10-12 more hp and ft lbs of torque.
Tom, more noise doesn't guarantee more power - that's just an old myth. The days of more ponies by putting on straight pipes are long gone for bikes like the RT as there's just too much engineering. There was a recent thread with dyno testing of various exhausts on the R12 engine. At best, the performance gains were minimal - in many cases power actually went down. eek.gif

Tom, more noise doesn't guarantee more power - that's just an old myth. eek.gif

So true. It just sounds like more power..... dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

Not that it excuses the noise, but grasslander did pick up 6 hp and 4 lb-ft. with a Remus on his R1200ST (see Hexhead forum).

Harleys usually gain more because they keep the muffler volume on the stock exhaust small for aesthetic reasons. The modern Japanese I-4 superbikes don't gain much though.

Dave

tricklizard

Hello all,

I’m a recent beemer convert, from an 80 HD Superglide with straight pipes. I too have fallen in love with the distinct lack of noise from my 12RT. The only problem is now I have to actually watch the tach. On a charity ride a few weeks ago I stalled the bike several times because I could not hear or feel it over the surrounding HD’s. I love the Harley rumble, but as with anything you can have too much of a good thing. I guess many things change as you get older. I went from loud pipes, brain buckets and tee shirts to armor, full face helmets, and a quiet cruiser

Last summer I was in Whistler in a parking lot with my RT. There was a family from Washington getting into their mini van as they saw me starting the bike. The mother and both girls put their hands over their ears as soon as they saw me put the key in. When the obnoxious overwhelming noise didn't come, they looked shocked. "Oh," said the mother. "You can't even hear your bike." "I know," I said. "I like it that way". "Nice bike," said the little girl. I rode off feeling pretty good.

smirk.gifBeno

tom collins

forgive me my riding brothers for not being specific enough in my earlier post. what i meant to say in regard to hd is that with the right set of pipes (not strait pipes), i realize that you need back pressure, either a rejetted carb or fuel injection adjustment and breather kit, you can pick up good hp and torque on a harely for about a grand. i know that on a bmw, it just gets louder. thanks for calling me on my lack of specificity. i will keep my opinion about whether it is noise or road music to myself.

tom collins

When the obnoxious overwhelming noise didn't come, they looked shocked. "Oh," said the mother. "You can't even hear your bike."

That is my number one comment when I'm out riding and pull next to someone at a stop light. I was really surprised when two younger guys pulled up saying how awesome the bike was that they couldn't hear it.

I was out for a ride last week with a few HD friends. We had just got back on the bikes and fired 'em up when one of the HD guys looks at me and asks," Is it running?" lmao.gif

Anyway, I've heard several guys mention "Throttle management" as the real issue. Some of these loud pipes are not too bad until you grab a handfull of throttle. dopeslap.gif

I really like the sound of a well tuned bike, but sometimes I think that most of those loud bikes are riden by fools just trying to make us all look (and sound) bad.

grasslander

Not that it excuses the noise, but grasslander did pick up 6 hp and 4 lb-ft. with a Remus on his R1200ST (see Hexhead forum).

Harleys usually gain more because they keep the muffler volume on the stock exhaust small for aesthetic reasons. The modern Japanese I-4 superbikes don't gain much though.

Dave

Just got back from Banner Elk, NC. Stayed at the Main Street Inn at Banner Elk (great place to stay BTW) Apologized to the non-motorcycling proprietor for my "loud" (core-in) TUV approved after-market exhaust. He said, what loud? Nice bike! I said, I promise not to make a 7k RPM fly by with the core out. (I save that for the closed course track) wink.gif

I guess many things change as you get older. I went from loud pipes, brain buckets and tee shirts to armor, full face helmets, and a quiet cruiser
I went from loud pipes, brain buckets and tee shirts to armor, full face helmets, and a quiet cruiser

I guess many things change as you get older. I went from loud pipes, brain buckets and tee shirts to armor, full face helmets, and a quiet cruiser

Tends to support the theory of evolution. Your genes are more likely to pass on!

Archived