IGNORED

R1200ST FRONT WHEEL REMOVAL

Silver_Point_1

Silver_Point_1

Ok, I have a '05 R1200ST that I am getting ready to put new tires on. I went and bought a "Pro Motion" combination hex tool (19, 22, 24mm) to remove the front wheel. The 22mm hex is too big for the axel. Do I have to get the "BMW 36 3 691 hexagon socket 22mm flats" tool frown.gif or will something else work. If I have to get the tool how much can I except to pay.

Thanks

Mike

Try this. It's technically (I think?) a shower head removal tool (about $2 at a hardware store) but it fits the front axle.

160943962-S.jpg

duckbubbles

Mike, the axle is 22mm. Perhaps you can file the 22mm portion of the tool you have a tad to make it fit. Maybe there is something like a burr that is preventing it from inserting.

Frank

Try this. It's technically (I think?) a shower head removal tool (about $2 at a hardware store) but it fits the front axle.

160943962-S.jpg

Thanks. wave.gif....Just bought one at Green Thumb Nursery in the plumbing section but paid a lot more than you....$2.39 plus tax....Same company (Taiwan) manufactured it too.. smile.gif...Fits very well... thumbsup.gif

Phil.........Redbrick

I think it has been mentioned before, but the hex end of a Craftsman 13/16 Spark Plug Socket will work if you use a long extension and approach it from the left side of the bike.

Fran

Silver_Point_1

Thanks for the info. I ended up going to my local Cycle Gear store. They had a different brand (Motrax)of combo Axel Wrench. That one fit just fine.

smile.gif Thanks again,

Mike

bakerzdosen
Ok, I have a '05 R1200ST that I am getting ready to put new tires on. I went and bought a "Pro Motion" combination hex tool (19, 22, 24mm) to remove the front wheel. The 22mm hex is too big for the axel. Do I have to get the "BMW 36 3 691 hexagon socket 22mm flats" tool frown.gif or will something else work. If I have to get the tool how much can I except to pay.
Just FYI, Motion Pro had a bad batch of 22mm hex tools go out. They're aware of the problem and will get you a new one if you contact them. I can't remember where I saw it (either an old thread here or advrider or some other board), but if you bought this one, you can contact them and get a replacement. Personally, I haven't bothered because my local shop ground the 22mm down for me (just a tad) so it now works. I should contact them, but alas, it works. dopeslap.gif

I suppose this is a dopey question but: do they not give enough of a tool kit anymore to enable the removal of the wheels? blush.gif

No dopey questions here and no they do not give you a tool kit anymore with the new bikes. I recommend you build one yourself. Many of us have had to go through this exercise with the newer hexheads BMW's.

Archived