IGNORED

Richard Logan "Rick" Porter

Les is more

It's with profound sadness that I tell you of the passing of my long time friend, Richard Logan Porter, known to those of you on the board as RickP. Rick passed last Thursday afternoon, one day short of his 55th birthday, after doing one of the two things in life he really enjoyed – landscaping. His other passion was riding. We've been friends for over 41 years and have spent some of that time trading motorcycles back and forth. We were at the '05 El Paseo when I had a head on crash with a red Kia and I was there when he went down while we were attending the '06 El Paseo. This year he was supposed to be with my wife and I as we took a two week, 3700 mile, trip between DC and San Antonio. Cheryl and I were on the last leg to that trip, in a motel near Knoxville, when I was contact by the Montgomery County PD notifying me of his death from natural causes. One of his many qualities is that he made lasting friendships to include several high school buddies who will desperately miss him. For me, I have been his wing-man on numerous rides and will miss him. Rick is not survived by any immediate family but, by his numerous friends.

Lou & Cheryl Knecht

Mod Edit:

RickP

Member #: 7025

Title: Member

Total Posts: 298

Registered on: 10/11/04 11:31 PM

About Me

Bike(s): 04 1150RT

I am very sorry to hear this.

I remember him from El Paseo and enjoyed his company.

Our condolences to you and his friends.

Lone_RT_rider
I am very sorry to hear this.

I remember him from El Paseo and enjoyed his company.

Our condolences to you and his friends.

Me to. What little time I got to talk to Rick was enjoyable. Ride in Peace Rick.......

Shawn

What sad news. I met Rick at El Paseo, right after your mishap. I had the pleasure of talking to him on several other occasions and found him a warm, personable and friendly guy. My sincere condolences to his friends.

Here is a picture of Rick at Un4.

I am saddened by the loss of your dear friend. Although I had not met Richard, the loss is still felt amongst us all. My condolences to his family and friends.

AdventurePoser

Lou, although I did not know your friend, I am greatly saddened by his passing. Grieve now, and then remember with fondness the memories of your friend.

Steve in So Cal

Lou...My family and I send our condolences on the passing of your friend. In the great scheme of things, we all are diminished by the passing of good people.

Les is more

I'm very sorry for your loss, Lou. I just finished reading an e mail very thoughtfully sent to me by Rick's supervisor. It's with profound sadness that I will be adding Rick's name to our "The Ride Home" Forum. Jamie and I enjoyed Rick's company at lunch at the Stanton Unrally. My heart goes out to you.

If you have a picture of Rick that you could share with me by PM or email, I could include it in the memorial post.

Very sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. We get so few good ones in life that it is tragic when they are gone. bncry.gif

TracerBullet

I am saddened by Rick's passing. I first met him at the 05 Unrally. We spent one day, just the two of us, cruising the back roads of West Virginia. Many memories of that weekend come flooding back.

My condolences

<------------------>

Lou, I never met Rick, but the passing of anyone who loved life saddens me. We've all had a bit more than our share of sadness this year, so I understand what you're feeling and my heart and condolences go out to you.

May Rick ride in peace.

That is horrible news. And so young too. I can relate as to your long time friendship. I have several.....as we all age seems like there is more news of this type. Relish in the lasting friendship and I hope you heal over time.

regards, Dave

I am very sorry for your loss.

It sounds like his passing will leave a substantial void in your life.

My condolences lou.I was just remembering chatting with you and Rick at the DC motorcycle show,and Rick telling how you two were lifetime friends.

I know he will be missed by many... bncry.gif

steve.foote

I'm really sorry to hear that, Lou. I was fortunate to have spent time with Rick both on and off the board. He was one of the nicest guys I've ever met.

Paul Mihalka

Lou, my condolences. You lost a close friend. Many of us lost a friend in him. He regularly stopped by me at work and we always had a great conversation. A great friend, and a great riding enthusiast on the road and even on the tracks.

i'M vERY sADDENED by the loss of your friend. I will pray for the repose of his soul and his family and friends.

Best:

I spent a little time talking with Rick, and something about him struck me. I enjoyed him.

RIP, Rick.

Gary and I are sorry to hear of your loss. You were very lucky to have someone in your life as a longtime friend. Try and focus on the great memories of that friendship.

Take care.

Damn, just, damn. I had lots of fun with Rick. I remember when things came together for him at his first riding smart. What a neay guy. Damn, Im sad. bncry.gif

Thanks for the very kind words and thoughts. This has been very hard on both of us but we have been warmed by your comments of Rick. As many have said, he brought a smiling face and happy personality to everything.

The services will be at the Pumphrey funeral home from 12:00 to 2:00 on June 8th. All are welcome.

300 W. Mongtomery Ave

Rockville, Maryland

http://www.pumphreyfuneralhome.com/

Lou and Cheryl

Wow. I can't believe this. Such a bright light and so young to be extinguished so soon. bncry.gif

It was my picture that Ron quoted above and I remember a few of us rode to dinner to some little town and I sat and talked with him at length. His posts here always had a positive exuberance and he was really getting into improving his riding and the whole track thing. Ride on, Rick. You'll be missed.

25152573-L.jpg

Les is more

25152573-M.jpg

Posted by LouK

It's with profound sadness that I tell you of the passing of my long time friend, Richard Logan Porter, known to those of you on the board as RickP. Rick passed last Thursday afternoon, one day short of his 55th birthday, after doing one of the two things in life he really enjoyed – landscaping. His other passion was riding. We've been friends for over 41 years and have spent some of that time trading motorcycles back and forth. We were at the '05 El Paseo when I had a head on crash with a red Kia and I was there when he went down while we were attending the '06 El Paseo. This year he was supposed to be with my wife and I as we took a two week, 3700 mile, trip between DC and San Antonio. Cheryl and I were on the last leg to that trip, in a motel near Knoxville, when I was contact by the Montgomery County PD notifying me of his death from natural causes. One of his many qualities is that he made lasting friendships to include several high school buddies who will desperately miss him. For me, I have been his wing-man on numerous rides and will miss him. Rick is not survived by any immediate family but, by his numerous friends.

Rick's obituary, provided by cherylk

Rick's Obituary

This is what the family submitted to the Washington Post. It includes a guest book for friends to sign.

http://www.legacy.com/WashingtonPost/DeathNotices.asp?Page=Lifestory&PersonId=88680152

The thread

my condolences to you and those who knew him well. frown.gif

bncry.gif just found out he was the fellow down in VA who passed mark and i from the other direction and from whence my signature comes from...he commented on being able to see my belt buckle while we were in the midst of a curve.

he did have a sense of humor, and made a point of meeting me. i'll miss him at the next east coast event.

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)
Damn, just, damn. I had lots of fun with Rick. I remember when things came together for him at his first riding smart. What a neay guy. Damn, Im sad. bncry.gif

Spike,

That's what came immediately to mind for me. We all shared a great time that weekend. I remember when you had him sit on the bike on the center stand and you adjusted his position on the bike, and it was like a light went on.

At the Un in Staunton Sylva and I passed Rick on US-60. We were coming down the mountain. He said Sylva was hanging so far off the back he could practically see her navel, or something like that. He said he got a really good laugh out of the site.

Rick, you will be missed.

Mark

Archived