IGNORED

Trying to decide between Touratech Cylinder Head Guards (Anodized Black)

lthj75

Firefight911

Hands down Touratech!!!

Plastic vs metal.

I have the plastic BMW ones on my ST but would not buy them again. They are fine in a minimalist fall, as in parking lot, but would be poor, at best, in an at speed fall.

Will probably, at some point in time, swap out the ST ones later.

There is a 3rd option; the BMW metal guards for the GS. They also fit and I think look good on the RT.

79356517.jpg

As Limecreek mentioned, another option are the BMW aluminum valve cover guards, which list for $227.00. Very nice, though pricey:

R1200GS_CylCover.jpg

vincentbob

I just traded in my 2005 R1200rt on a 2007 model, but did not order the plastic guards as I have them on the old bike and planned to take them off and fit them to the new bike. I was surprised to see that even though I have never dropped the bike, the plastic guards have chaffed the paint where they rub against the cover. A bit of a waste of time really, I will be Ebaying them and buying the metal guards as fitted on the GS.

even though I have never dropped the bike....A bit of a waste of time really

Had you dropped your bike, you would have a different take on those plastic guards.

If you have the BMW plastic protectors fitted and drop the bike, I am sure the damage would be much less than if none were fitted. However, it seems to me to be defeating the object, if having not dropped the bike, you remove the protectors to be greeted by a 4" line of paint worn off the rocker covers. I agree with the general concensus and recommend Ithj75 fit the Touratech items, I'm going to. Anyone want a second hand pair of BMW protectors?

If you have the BMW plastic protectors fitted and drop the bike, I am sure the damage would be much less than if none were fitted. However, it seems to me to be defeating the object, if having not dropped the bike, you remove the protectors to be greeted by a 4" line of paint worn off the rocker covers. I agree with the general concensus and recommend Ithj75 fit the Touratech items, I'm going to. Anyone want a second hand pair of BMW protectors?

My plastic BMW guards have saved the right cylinder cover twice on my RT (once by the previous owner and once by me).

I would assume the design on the 1200 is not as good as the 1150. There are 2 rubber bumpers on the 1150 guards. Maybe the 1200 lacks them?

It is amazing how well those plastic guards protect the 1150. I can't speak from experience of the 1200, but can't imagine it wouldn't be close to equal.

My plastic BMW guards have saved the right cylinder cover twice on my RT (once by the previous owner and once by me).

I would assume the design on the 1200 is not as good as the 1150. There are 2 rubber bumpers on the 1150 guards. Maybe the 1200 lacks them?

It is amazing how well those plastic guards protect the 1150. I can't speak from experience of the 1200, but can't imagine it wouldn't be close to equal.

The ability of the protectors to protect in the event of an accident is not what I was commenting on. The BMW protectors will of course be better than nothing, and as suggested, have been found to well work in an accident. Having had them fitted to my bike for two years I have found that they have vibrated against the rocker cover and removed the paint, which is what I paid to avoid. I am not planning to fit them to my new bike as I wish to keep the paintwork in good condition.

The ability of the protectors to protect in the event of an accident is not what I was commenting on. The BMW protectors will of course be better than nothing, and as suggested, have been found to well work in an accident. Having had them fitted to my bike for two years I have found that they have vibrated against the rocker cover and removed the paint, which is what I paid to avoid. I am not planning to fit them to my new bike as I wish to keep the paintwork in good condition.

I understand your point, which is why I made the comment that the fitment must be off on the 1200 model.

Are you going to use a different brand/style protector?

156538574-L.jpg

The mule has Touratechs on it and they have been tested 3 times. Love them

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

Did you place that GS on the dirt or ride it?

Looks a little too clean eek.gif

"Looks a little too clean "

From what I read on the TT site, this is one of the benefits that arises from using their guards. Not only do they protect the valve covers, they also cause a low pressure zone to form around the head, which prevents road grime, mud, et al, from being splashed up on the bike. Unfortunately, TT products do not improve the looks of the rider. lmao.gif

Archived