2 way radio incompatibility

daveinatlanta

daveinatlanta

I have a Kenwood TK3131 - primarily based on recommendations from this board. A riding buddy (ElevenFifty on this site) has a Motorola. We rode. Couldn't talk. Silence is not always golden. Anyway, I d/l both manuals and compared frequencies and the issue became clear.

Our channels 1-7 are the same frequency. Beyond that, a conversion table is needed.

Kenwood / Motorola

11/15

8/16

12/17

9/18

13/19

10/20

14/21

15/22

Does anybody know why this is? (Other than that's life...)

So much for standardization.

confused.gif

And the interference channels/quite talk/ sub channels are also different.... dopeslap.gif

I think you are misreading something. There's no way on earth that a Kenwood and Motorola are not using standardized frequencies. My guess is that you had a sub-channel set one one or both of them. The channel numbers are almost certainly the same.

The frequencies should be the same... however, the channel designation is different.

The Kenwood has 15 channels. The Motorola has 22. The challenge is - which is seems you've tackled - is matching up which frequencies Kenwoods 15 channels include.

The two brands should be able to talk on the same frequencies - they just will put them into different channels.

The thing that gets me (I've been radio shopping) is that none of the marketing materials specifically spell out frequencies. As a ham radio guy, I want (nay, DEMAND) exact specs.

As much as I've been eyeing the Kenwood, I'm now leaning towards the Motorola T9500 - $56 at Amazon

Dave, there are 14-channel FRS-only radios. There are 14-channel FRS/GMRS radios in which the first 7 channels are FRS frequencies and the last 7 are GMRS frequencies. And then there are the new 22-channel radios.

Read about them here.

Listen to what kcscout said. The designations are just different. I use an ICOM radio myself and carry a very small, very simple sheet that lists my ICOM channels (frequencies) agains those of a couple other popular models. It's no big deal but yes, it would be nice if channel 5 on one radio was the same as channel 5 on another.

I think you are misreading something. There's no way on earth that a Kenwood and Motorola are not using standardized frequencies. My guess is that you had a sub-channel set one one or both of them. The channel numbers are almost certainly the same.

Dave, I was wrong on the part I've highlighted in red. Sorry for misleading you. frown.gif

daveinatlanta

Thanks to all for the comments and the advice. Fortunately both radios' manuals had a freq/channel chart so I was able to make the conversion table above. Fernando's reference (above) explained the reasons for the differences.

Archived