IGNORED

I am keeping it

LANGeek

I have posted my woes about the R1200RT being too tall for me. I decided to sell it then some of y’all sent me some very good material and ideas about lowering it a bit. Much better then the info I got from the dealer.

I have been doing research on the different products. In doing so I found the Works Performance Shocks is “working on some stuff that will utilize the factory ESA features on the front and rear.” And they claim they can effectively lower the bike at the seat 2”. They say they can do this while improving road handling and performance of the suspension.

Sound good too me. So, what do y’all think?

I think it is amazing that BMW markets a bike that is so clearly targeted to tall buyers without more thought to function for shorter buyers.

I am 6'2" tall and wear 33" inseam pants. The bike feels built for my size. Seat, mirror, bars are perfect. The windshield is too small but I understand that if they made it larger, it might interfere with the vision of a shorter rider.

I can ride with the seat in the normal or tall position and the mirrors are perfect for me. After reading so many complaints about the fantastic mirrors I finally realized that if I lower my head to the position of a 5'10" rider then my hands block the view in the mirror. Perhaps the whole design staff is 5'11" to 6'3" tall? The bike does seems to appeal to a narrower market segment than most models. I do have to say it is perfectly sized for me and an improvement for my size compared to the R1100RT.

...Perhaps the whole design staff is 5'11" to 6'3" tall?

That must be wha those German engineers call normal dopeslap.gif

gettysburg

Good to hear your keeping the RT. thumbsup.gif

I thought about you today when I had to hit the brakes hard, then struggled to keep the bike upright dopeslap.gif

LANGeek:

I am 5'2", 29" inseam and 113 pounds. I love my RT (OK, I have only had it for 3 weeks) The more I ride it the more confident I get on it. It just keeps getting better and better. Any bike I ride that is realistically capable of touring will be somewhat of a struggle for me, but hey, anything worth having should require a little work, right?

There are tons of options out there. Good luck finding what works for you.

St0nkingByte

The seat squishes down over time. I'd swear mine rides an inch lower now than it did when it was new.

St0nkingByte
That could be the best argument ever for not attempting to lose weight! lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Speaking of losing weight. I thought I was a candidate for a custom seat then I dropped 20lbs and now the stock seat seems fine. I still like to lose about 20lbs more, of course I'm sure at some point the rear end becomes too scrawny and a custom seat starts to make sense again, if only I could have that problem!

Archived