IGNORED

Electrical Question

JiminPA

Hi all,

This may be dumb question, but I have only had my RT (2004 R1150RT) for a week so I am still a newbie (first BMW). The clock on the RID started acting strange. It is cycling through the minutes like if I was pushing the button in to change the time. I am not sure how it started. I noticed it on the ride home after I took the RT to a local dealer (not BMW as they are 3 hours away) for PA state inspection. No reason they should have messed with the clock though.

I can't get it to stop and it keeps doing this when the RT is off. I tried pushing the button to see if it was stuck and it doesn't seem to do anything. Any ideas what else I can check? Do you think I need to be concerned about the battery draining since it keeps doing this with the bike off? I don't know if the clock usually stays on or not when the bike is off. I can pull the fuse to disable the clock, but that disables the windshield adjustment and I am not sure what else. I can't get a service appointment for 3 weeks to get into the shop. It is still under warranty so I don't want to dig too deep myself.

thanks for the help

Jim

Jim,

I don't know how to fix your problem right off, but the clock does in fact stay on when the bike is off. Sounds like a stuck button to me.

The clock actually gets power from two sources, F3 and F4 if I remember right. One powers the entire RID when the bike is one, including the clock, the other is the 'keep alive" voltage when the bike is off. If this is not a stuck button (which it indeed could be), verify you have both voltages going to it.

Hi all,

This may be dumb question, but I have only had my RT (2004 R1150RT) for a week so I am still a newbie (first BMW). The clock on the RID started acting strange. It is cycling through the minutes like if I was pushing the button in to change the time. I am not sure how it started. I noticed it on the ride home after I took the RT to a local dealer (not BMW as they are 3 hours away) for PA state inspection. No reason they should have messed with the clock though.

I can't get it to stop and it keeps doing this when the RT is off. I tried pushing the button to see if it was stuck and it doesn't seem to do anything. Any ideas what else I can check? Do you think I need to be concerned about the battery draining since it keeps doing this with the bike off? I don't know if the clock usually stays on or not when the bike is off. I can pull the fuse to disable the clock, but that disables the windshield adjustment and I am not sure what else. I can't get a service appointment for 3 weeks to get into the shop. It is still under warranty so I don't want to dig too deep myself.

thanks for the help

Jim

Jim, try removing the fuse for the clock (in fuse box) & powering it down for about 30 seconds.. Sometimes a power-off will allow it to function properly when it is re-powered..

Twisty

Archived