96 R11RT Transmission Clunking while under power

Mav

Hello Everyone,

My RT transmission is suffering with the dreaded temporary lose of power syndrome which started approximately at 35k miles. Now at 48000m and getting worse, I'm planning to do something about it.

I am aware of the problem and what is causing it. My question is, what are the alternatives? Should I try to source a used 99 and newer transmission or have my existing trans rebuilt? Will a 6 speed from a 1150RT fit and work on my 96? Does anyone know of a competent rebuilder who will do the job right?

Thank you and I really appreciate the members help and advice on this site,

Tim grin.gif

Hello Everyone,

My RT transmission is suffering with the dreaded temporary lose of power syndrome which started approximately at 35k miles. Now at 48000m and getting worse, I'm planning to do something about it.

I am aware of the problem and what is causing it. My question is, what are the alternatives? Should I try to source a used 99 and newer transmission or have my existing trans rebuilt? Will a 6 speed from a 1150RT fit and work on my 96? Does anyone know of a competent rebuilder who will do the job right?

Thank you and I really appreciate the members help and advice on this site,

Tim grin.gif

Tim, a six speed won’t fit (well easily or cheaply anyhow) so that leaves rebuild or repair.. You will have to get some repair quotes but I have seen low mileage late 5 speeds sell for in the $300.00- $400.00 range..

Twisty

I sent my slipping '96 RS transmission to Tom Cutter at the Rubber Chicken Racing Garage. It takes time but his work is excellent. The cost was about $1100.

Its no joke. My hubby sent his failing '94 R1100RS tranny to Tom Cutter (yes, his shop really is known as the Rubber Chicken Racing Garage ). Fortunately, hubby got a "loaner" transmission from a friend while the work was being done.

I think it took about 6 weeks. Cost was closer to $1400. Not sure how badly the thing needed 'fixing.'

P

Hi Tim,

The least expensive route would be to find a good used M97 (late 1997 model year or later) take-out, usually around $500 or so. There is some risk in this of course and it may be a while before a good unit shows up on the market, but when the stars align this can be a viable way to go. The second option is repair which won't be cheap since you will need to have the gear dogs undercut on your current transmission (to prevent a recurrence of the original problem) and perhaps a change from tapered to roller bearings. But if performed by a qualified mechanic you will have a good unit when you're done, perhaps better than new. Third option is a BMW manufactured transmission which will probably be about the same cost as a proper repair of your current unit and be a current M97 model, as well as come with a guarantee. A reman unit will also probably get you back on the road fastest if that is a consideration. Last option is to repair the unit yourself which will cost around $300 for Bruno to machine the gearsets and about another $200-$300 in parts for bearings, seals, and the inevitably damaged shift fork(s). But the self-repair option requires a fair amount of mechanical skill and the proper tools to set up the new shim packs, i.e. doable but definitely not a beginner's job.

Pick your poison depending on your budget, timeframe, and skill set. Whichever way you go you can get a lot of good advice here, and good luck... hope you are back on the road soon.

Hi Tim,

The least expensive route would be to find a good used M97 (late 1997 model year or later) take-out, usually around $500 or so. There is some risk in this of course and it may be a while before a good unit shows up on the market, but when the stars align this can be a viable way to go. The second option is repair which won't be cheap since you will need to have the gear dogs undercut on your current transmission (to prevent a recurrence of the original problem) and perhaps a change from tapered to roller bearings. But if performed by a qualified mechanic you will have a good unit when you're done, perhaps better than new. Third option is a BMW manufactured transmission which will probably be about the same cost as a proper repair of your current unit and be a current M97 model, as well as come with a guarantee. A reman unit will also probably get you back on the road fastest if that is a consideration. Last option is to repair the unit yourself which will cost around $300 for Bruno to machine the gearsets and about another $200-$300 in parts for bearings, seals, and the inevitably damaged shift fork(s). But the self-repair option requires a fair amount of mechanical skill and the proper tools to set up the new shim packs, i.e. doable but definitely not a beginner's job.

Pick your poison depending on your budget, timeframe, and skill set. Whichever way you go you can get a lot of good advice here, and good luck... hope you are back on the road soon.

Smiller,

I really appreciate your effort and time to detail all my options. Fortunately I have two more bikes (03 K12RS and a 74 90S) so, I will not be grounded until I sort out my RT.

I will scour the used parts suppliers for the transmission. Sure wished you lived around Houston, I would buy you a beer or two for you help.

Regards,

Tim

No problem Tim, glad that you have some other rides to fall back on. If you want to go the used transmission route here are some places to start checking (in addition to the 'Classified' section here of course):

www.ibmwr.org/market/

www.beemerboneyard.com

www.engelandmoto.com

plus Ebay, but Ebay prices tend to be very high. You will find the occasional good deal though, set an auto email alert with the correct search term.

2wheelterry

Last fall when I was looking for a replacement 1150 trans, I had several good responses from posting a wanted add on the IBMWR website. EBay also had some items, but at a bit more $.

Guys,

Thank you very much again for the suggestions and web links to start my search. Seems the RT transmissions are temperamental.

2wheelterry what happened to your 1150RT, was the dreaded gear dogs slipping also?

Regards,

Tim thumbsup.gif

Archived