IGNORED

Summer mesh jacket - MotoGP 3-in-1?

Jimtrvl917

Jimtrvl917

I'm looking for a mesh jacket that I can wear in the summer months in NJ and environs. I saw that "motorcyclecloseouts.com" has a MotoGP 3-in-1 All Season waterproof jacket available on closeout. I need a true XL, and although someone else had suggested a Hein Gericke, they are cut too small for me. Does anyone have any experience with this jacket, and how does it do in the hot summer heat? I also want to get something that has some armor in the shoulders and elbows, as I don't want my wife to get that insurance money too soon!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/comments/suggestions!

Jimtrvl917

Come on guys... someone must have had some experience with this jacket, or could recommend a different one...

wbrissette

I went with the Vanson mesh shirt for the Texas summers (you can see it here: http://newenough.com/browse/view_product_images/242). The thing I like about it, is I can wear it under my rain gear, so I still have protection.

The downside to this product is that it is stictly a summer jacket, and having lived in NJ myself for a while, you wouldn't get much use out of the Vanson jacket because it is so thin. But if you're looking for a summer only "jacket" and want the airflow and protection, you can't beat the Vanson product.

Wayne

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll definitely look into that one...

Anyone else out there have anything to add?

Look into the Olympia stuff.

I just tried out their mesh pants and they did very well. Just two knee scrapes. I sure wish I had been wearing the jacket but noooooooo. It was safely stowed in the trunk..

Arai helmet did it's job verywell also.

Sure wish that I had been wearing that jacket..

Next time. And every time thereafter!

ATGATT thumbsup.gif

On the mesh jacket front, I've been wearing a Motoport/Cycleport kevlar jacket for about 2 months. It's a bit pricey, but I definitely feel protected in it.

Motoport

I've got that jacket and I've been wearing it for about a year. In cold weather I use my leather coat, but in warm to hot weather I wear the MotoGP jacket. With the rain liner and thermal liner it is actually quite warm, so I could probably wear it in colder weather but I like my leather.

In warm weather I would give it a B. Behind the RT fairing I don't get a whole lot of air so it does get warm. The mesh does flow a fair amount of air, but the holes are small. I also have a Power Trip mesh jacket with bigger holes and it definitely flows more air than the MotoGP. I have the gray color and I think that it is cooler than my black mesh jacket while not moving.

One complaint is that the pocket for the back armor is a nylon-type fabric, not mesh material. That area traps moisture against my shirt so when I get off the bike after my commute home in the afternoon I always have a wet spot on the back of my shirt. That doesn't happen with my Power Trip jacket. I imagine if I were moving faster or in a less humid climate that might not happen.

The sizing runs a bit big.

Overall, I have been happy with it. It is very versatile. I have not tested it in rain. For the motorcycle closeouts price of $120 I think it's a pretty good deal. I paid $200 and I think I have gotten my money's worth.

thumbsup.gif

Mike

ncsonderman

I know that Husker says his MotoGP jacket ran big, but the few I've tried on locally were small.

I recently decided to go with the Rev'it Airflow jacket which also runs small. I got the XXL when I take an XL.

Very high quality and you can find them for fairly cheap if you are patient and look around.

I got mine from Cliff's BMW for $120 shipped, which is a bargain any day! thumbsup.gif

Archived