IGNORED

Lowest Saddle heights on BMW

LuckyLeif

For future reference, is there a listing of BMW saddle heights for models made over the last dozen years? One of the more common BMW-related questions I get from students is related to saddle height (imagine that!) As I recall most of the R12Croozer line were pretty low. And I think the F650CS was relatively low. But I've never sat on, let alone ridden, any of those bikes. Seems to me that most bikes with sporting pretensions also have standard saddle heights of ~30 inch and up.

Great question.

As one with a vertical challenge problem, I am sensitive to this. (Side Note: what is strange is that I am not that short, but is seems that BMW thinks the "demographic" for their product is somewhat above average in height- go figure)

Obviously the tall bikes have the extra cornering space, but for most of us the last increment of cornering ability is seldom used. In addition, a bike designer could take all this into consideration and give an extra inch or two for flexibility in suiting a customer with no problem. There I feel better now.

But I digress, Google knows all the answers to this. A search with the Model Year and Bike model will usually yield the seat height dimension on a spec sheet. But it would be good to have a single-sheet reference.

For instance did you know the next generation K12GTis almost an inch taller than the previous one?

wrestleantares
Great question.

As one with a vertical challenge problem, I am sensitive to this. (Side Note: what is strange is that I am not that short, but is seems that BMW thinks the "demographic" for their product is somewhat above average in height- go figure)

Average height in Europe is growing (he he) at a quicker rate than the US.

Obviously the tall bikes have the extra cornering space, but for most of us the last increment of cornering ability is seldom used.

I don't want my bikes dumbed down for the lowest common denominator of riding ability - then Harley would get 100% market share. grin.gif

In addition, a bike designer could take all this into consideration and give an extra inch or two for flexibility in suiting a customer with no problem. There I feel better now.

BMW, Honda, Yamaha (ant the others I am sure - those these have models I personally know of) make bikes with adjustable seat height.

I have a 30" inseam, am about 5'8" and have an older LT (before they narrowed and lowered the seat a bit more) - I have no problem operating the bike. I've ridden a GS and V-Strom - still no problem. Sat on a Buell - IT IS TALL - and I have never ridden one, so I cannot compare.

For instance did you know the next generation K12GTis almost an inch taller than the previous one?

Halfway true. The standard seat is as high as the upper setting on the 2003 GT, but a low seat option is available that makes it practically equal to the previous model.

Jim VonBaden

From a local poster on my forum:

One of the more common BMW-related questions I get from students is related to saddle height (imagine that!) I did a little investigation and came up with the following categorization. I'm sure there are a few mistakes, so apologies made here & now. Bike models with * indicate the saddle height when equipped with OEM low saddle. Hope this may be of use to those shopping around.

29.1 1200C

29.3 1200CL

29.5 F650CS*

29.9 R11R

29.9 K100RT*

29.9 K100LT*

30.3 K12RS

30.3 MONTAUK

30.3 R115R

30.3 R12R*

30.3 K12LT

30.3 R850R*

30.7 F650GS

30.7 K1

30.7 R115RT*

30.7 R11RS

30.7 R11RT

30.7 R12ST*

30.7 R12RT*

30.9 F650ST

31.1 F800S

31.1 F800ST

31.1 R115RS

31.1 K12R*

31.3 ROCKSTER

31.5 F650F

31.5 R100R

31.5 R11S

31.5 K11RS

31.8 R100RS

31.9 K75C/S/RT

31.9 R65LS

33.0 R11GS

33.1 R12GS

34.3 F650DAKAR

35 R12GSA

35.4 R115GSA

Jim cool.gif

Jim - I was also the one that posted the list on BMW2. Some of the first posters gave me enough info that I decided to formulate the list myself. Was glad to see that my initial impressions were born out by the data. Beemers get criticised for having few offerings under 30" saddle height, but I think that is true for most/all the mfrs once the cruisers are eliminated. Sporting bikes are going to require some inseam if people want 2 feet flat on the ground. I ride my RT with the saddle in high position becuase it is the most comfortable setting. One heel will be off the ground at stops, but its not an issue. Scott

Jim VonBaden

Jim - I was also the one that posted the list on BMW2. Some of the first posters gave me enough info that I decided to formulate the list myself. Was glad to see that my initial impressions were born out by the data. Beemers get criticised for having few offerings under 30" saddle height, but I think that is true for most/all the mfrs once the cruisers are eliminated. Sporting bikes are going to require some inseam if people want 2 feet flat on the ground. I ride my RT with the saddle in high position becuase it is the most comfortable setting. One heel will be off the ground at stops, but its not an issue. Scott

Sorry Scott, I didn't make the connection with you and ERCScott.

Jim cool.gif

GoGo Gadget

While sitting in San Jose BMW getting my 6k service, I overheard the sales dude say that the F800S/ST are going to have a low chassis option, when combined with the low seat will net a seat height of 29.9"

Archived