IGNORED

Painting scratched rocker covers

eurodat

I know i have read it on the forum at some point but i can't find it anymore.

Is it possible to paint the rocker covers following a mild scuff to them (bike laid down while stationary) rather than buying new ones?

If so, what paint should I use. Mines a twin spark R1150RT by the way.

I just put crash covers over them,Needed them anyway!!!had side bag repainted,It was a bad day,, thumbsup.gif

thumbsup.gif Standard procedure for many riders. A better late than never approach. Also, something to remember when shopping for used bikes - and a point for negotiation of price.

Jerry Johnston

They don't get that hot, I just used Auto paint on mine. I didn't find an exact match so I used Aluminum color with a dull clear coat over it.

The covers are very thick. Use a metal file and feather any deep scratches smooth. Finish up with sand paper. Paint with Krylon Dull aluminum spray paint (Krylon 1403). Be carefull not to apply a thick coat of paint as it will start to create a slight texture. Use several light coats of paint. Let the paint dry and cover with a satin or matte clear coat. Krylon Satin Clearcoat 1313 works great. This combination will give you an almost exact match the the BMW Silver engine paint. Very easy to do. These paints dry very fast and hold up very well. thumbsup.gif

Gail

The covers are very thick. Use a metal file and feather any deep scratches smooth. Finish up with sand paper. Paint with Krylon Dull aluminum spray paint (Krylon 1403). Be carefull not to apply a thick coat of paint as it will start to create a slight texture. Use several light coats of paint. Let the paint dry and cover with a satin or matte clear coat. Krylon Satin Clearcoat 1313 works great. This combination will give you an almost exact match the the BMW Silver engine paint. Very easy to do. These paints dry very fast and hold up very well. thumbsup.gif

Gail

Thanks Gail. Great description. I have searched Google but it doesn't look like I can buy Krylon spray paints here in the UK. I will keep looking thumbsup.gif

Archived