IGNORED

KTM 640 LC4?

Gregori

I've stumbled across an "opportunity" to pick up an '02 KTM 640 LC4 (it's a dual sport, but *not* an adventure) for $3700.

It's basically brand new. The story I'm told is that it wasn't even uncrated until just a year ago, was then ridden 400 (street) miles, and then parked in a garage for the intervening year...

Now - I'm getting ready to move, and shouldn't even be considering another bike (and in fact have listed the RT for sale) but this seems like a pretty unique opportunity. I've heard decent reports on the KTM, but haven't done much research.

I know I could probably get a bunch of answers over at Advrider, but I think I'd trust the advice I get here a little more.

So, my questions are these:

I couldn't find much in the way of comps, so does the $3700 seem like a great/fair/poor price?

Is the KTM maintenance intense, or is a gas-n-ride kind of machine?

I seem to recall that they're 80% dirt/20% street, and my cursory look at it seems to support that - but does anyone here have an opinion on the capabilitie in the bush, and how well these things run when used on the street?

Aside form the (dead) battery and dried out fuel lines, I didn't see anything in need of immediate attention, but what would be likely to be problematic on (this) bike from basically sitting unused for 5 years?

I told the guy I'd give him a firm answer by tomorrow, but I'd like to have some data points in my head if (or before) I choose part with the cash.

Thanks all!

ktm.jpgktm1.jpgktm2.jpg

Katoom's are pretty darn bullet proof. All around good bike. The engines have gotten lighter since the LC4. Depends on your intended use. It's a great dual sport. The 640 wouldn't be my first choice for goat trails. I guess you have to decide what your going to do with it.

'02 KTM 640 LC4 for $3700.

I couldn't find much in the way of comps, so does the $3700 seem like a great/fair/poor price?

I seem to recall that they're 80% dirt/20% street, and my cursory look at it seems to support that - but does anyone here have an opinion on the capabilitie in the bush, and how well these things run when used on the street?

Aside form the (dead) battery and dried out fuel lines, I didn't see anything in need of immediate attention, but what would be likely to be problematic on (this) bike from basically sitting unused for 5 years?

Our 2002 Six Day Hard Enduro is mostly the same except green. It was $7800 in 2002.

$3700 seems fair price.

Very serious machine, Top five places in 2001 Paris - Dakar Race.

Motor designed to run hard and not break. If you run the smaller 4 stroke KTMs like 450 & 525 hard for a length of time like you would on the street or a long race, they will break as they were designed more for short burst of speed and max performance. The LC4 is not maintenance intensive but then it weighs 308 pounds instead of 250 like a 450EXC. Designed for long distance racing, not motocross or short enduros.

I don't know about this one, ours towers over my X-Moto which toweres over my R1200RT. Designed to go 80 mph across open desert, not putr putt around town.

Horrible vibration, hard to believe it has a balance shaft. These are "paint shakers". You don't notice it in the desert much but on the street it is just terrible. This is supposedly fixed with the 690 LC4 replacement that is immenent. Tall first gear, lugs in 5th below 60! Take a good look at the dimesions of the forks and suspension stuff and you can tell what this was made for. By the way, fix the battery. I used to have BSA 441 and 500 singles and I can't kick start it!

If that is the original Metzler Karoo DOT knobby, it has only been ridden gently. These things have the torque to need a rear tire in 500-1000 miles of normal use.

This motor is only sold in the US in the 640 Adventure. If you intend to ride it much on the street, make sure you can take the vibration. Maybe I'm old but I can't imagine taking one long distance - the bike will do it but I would fall apart into little pieces.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

So, my questions are these:

$3700 for a 640E (enduro) seems like a pretty good price. I paid $6k for an 02 Adventure with 3000 miles on it.

Maintinence is every 2-3k and most people I know extend it to 5k with expensive oil. Valves are screw type adjusters, but fitted into a tight spot. 2 oil filters on the adventure, and a funky "burping" procedure to get the air out of the frame- I suppose the Enduro is the same?

It's a dirt big dirt bike. When you use them on the street, they're still dirt bikes. Especially if you run knobbies. And yes, they vibrate. I ran mine at 5-5.5k RPM for two days (850 mi total)on the highway coming home from Torrey- there seemed to be a sweet spot there, and it ran like a champ.

To kick start it, you need to put a switch on the headlight so it doesn't suck all the power away from the engine. Mine kicks up pretty easy, expecially if it's warm. (and it's jetted a bit richer than the lean stock setup) Also, the '02 LC4's have a ball bearing main transmission bearing that was upgraded to a roller bearing in 03. It's doable in an afternoon with the travelling tool kit at KTMTalk.com and a suggested update according to the KTM gurus. You don't want that thing to fail and get little metal bits in the engine- and they do fail.

New hoses and a battery and you're golden. I'd worry about the tires though.

Here's some fun: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4044581835245981827&hl=en

Well - I'm an idiot.

I bought it.

So I'm (back) on a dual sport, at least part-time.

But now I have TWO bikes to have to move cross country. (Sigh...)

Now I need to start farkle shopping. I figured the KTM was cheaper than a KLR in one way - the KLR has countless accessories, and I haven't seen much for the KTM.

Grins,

Greg

Bill_Walker
Well - I'm an idiot.

I bought it.

So I'm (back) on a dual sport, at least part-time.

But now I have TWO bikes to have to move cross country. (Sigh...)

Now I need to start farkle shopping. I figured the KTM was cheaper than a KLR in one way - the KLR has countless accessories, and I haven't seen much for the KTM.

Grins,

Greg

So, the RT still hasn't sold?

Hey, I've got an idea! Let's go for a ride! You bring the Katoom, I'll bring my V-Strom, and when we get to a dirt road, we can stop and look at each other and say "OK. NOW what the @#$#@# do we do?" lmao.gif

Well, I can, anyway. I can't recall if there's any dirt riding in your past. There's darn little in mine.

Hehehe - I cut my riding teeth (and quite a few other parts, for that matter) riding dirtbikes as a teen. Mostly singletrack - you have to watch the ground AND your head...

When I was about 17 or 18, I was riding a CR500, probably the fastest dirtbike available at the time. It was "stupid fast" and I was just stupid. I wrung it out for all it was worth. As a dirtbike, it had no speedo, and we didn't have GPS in those days - but I calculated time/distance once, and the bike was clearly capable of sustained speeds *well* over 100.

Of course, fast forward (wink.gif) more than 20 years later, and I've got a little more respect (or fear) for pain. And I haven't had a proper dirtbike in years. My last two dualsports were an F650 (90% road, so that hardly counts) and a Yamaha XT550 (40% road) that I only put MAYBE 2500 miles on during the three years I owned it.

I'd love to get in a final San Diego 'farewell' ride, but I'm not sure if I can make it happen. We'd need to ride SOON, as I'm loading the bike(s) into the back of my Unimog, and shipping the whole lot off by flatbed - very possibly THIS WEEK. (I got a call from the trucking company on Thursday, and they plan on having an empty truck in SoCal this week -- more details on Monday when I touch base with them...)

Bill_Walker
Hehehe - I cut my riding teeth (and quite a few other parts, for that matter) riding dirtbikes as a teen.
Well, so much for you pulling a "ringer" on me! I'm wise to you now!

I'd love to get in a final San Diego 'farewell' ride, but I'm not sure if I can make it happen. We'd need to ride SOON, as I'm loading the bike(s) into the back of my Unimog, and shipping the whole lot off by flatbed - very possibly THIS WEEK. (I got a call from the trucking company on Thursday, and they plan on having an empty truck in SoCal this week -- more details on Monday when I touch base with them...)

Um, wouldn't that make for a pretty tall load? I'd hate to see some truck driver peel your bikes off the 'Mog on a low overhang.

Re the ride, Thu and Fri look bad for me. Otherwise, I'm available.

Archived