IGNORED

New RT & Member - Need Accessory Advice

TraderRob

I am picking up my new Sand Biege R1200RT this weekend. First BMWer and I am quite excited! Anyway, I am looking for some advice on accessories. Currently, BMW is "giving away" $500 in free accessories with a new bike purchase. So I ask the experts, what BMW accessories should I get?

My first thoughts are the factory tank bag, maybe cylinder covers, highway pegs, possibly top case (more than $500 bucks though- may want to wait). Also, that little radio compartment pocket looks good. Liner bags would be nice, but seem expensive & easily substituted with another brand. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

- Trader

If your going to do long trips,The 49 liter top case is nice,,Around $800 buck,so you well pay $300 bucks,,Ilike my BMW tank bag to,,Easy to take off getting gas,,Thats the only 2 things i got from BMW,The rest is aftermarket..Jim,(jackfrost)Makes a very nice GPS mount for the bike,Just got 1 and i love it,,His a BMWST member,,Injoy the bike,Injoy the ride,,Fall Torrey is coming up in Sept,,Great people,Great Roads,

gettysburg

Some RT owners swear by their tank bag, but I think it's a bad design and of poor quality. When it rains, water is trapped between the outer and inner(waterproof) layers. So where ever you set it down, expect to find a puddle. Also, the top flap opens in such a way that the zippered edge can scratch the instrument panel lense. After a few months, the handle on my bag began to fray. It should cost about $100; not the $300+ BMW is asking. For the money you're paying, the 29L topcase is a better deal and offers more security since it's lockable.

No doubt--tank bag is way overpriced. Also rather large and in-the-way--wanna buy mine? Find a smaller one for less money. 49L topcase is also pricey, but it IS a nice piece of equipment. However, IMHO so is the Givi V46 or 52, for less than 1/2 the cost of the BMW topcase. Sidecase liners will come in handy on trips--I'd get them because they fit the bags. Glove box liner isn't worth 2 cents. The plastic cyl. head "protectors" are way overpriced since they will need replacing after the first tip-over. Get metal guards, or get the tubular crash bars, Touratech or Wunderlich.

Here's my two cents with all of my three weeks of experience that I have on my 2007 RT--

I think that the large top case was the best purchase. I use it without the additional side bags just in case I need/want to lane-share/split. I can fit one helmet and a lot of other stuff or two helmets and less stuff.

The tank bag looked like a good idea but I find it irritating and am looking for another solution--a smaller one--I just don't like having that massive thing in front of me except for long trips (on my long lost K75S--another story).

Think about the mirror cables or some boots or another helmet that you wouldn't otherwise get. Or that cute little flashlight that goes in the utility lid or the beefier toolkit.

Just some thoughts. Enjoy!!

First off, congrats on the new bike. I have a 2007 "Sandy" myself. Hey, I think I just named my bike! I bought my bike mid March and have nearly 5000 miles on it.

Anyway, I did NOT like the look/size of the Beemer tank bag. It is simply too large and in the way. I chose a 12 liter Touratech model:

http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/show.l...61FCC5053CA5257

I like that tank bag ALOT and it's just big enough for the daily stuff. It even has a usefully large map pocket. And, it doubles as a backpack, complete with straps! Great for race track spectating.

As for the trunk, I chose a 28 liter case. I just didn't like the look of the larger trunk/oven BMW sells. I know it's very useful lane-sharing, but...

Lastly, I think if I were to get cylinder protectors I'd opt for the aluminum one's. I spoke with a nice gent at the last tech-daze that said his grenaded on a minor tip-over. I just don't know how much they interfere with lean angle.

That's my take for what it's worth.

No matter which way you go, I think you're going to love it. thumbsup.gif

My 2 cents worth: I'd get the 49L topcase if you do any sort of long riding, or ride two-up. It holds a lot, and goes on/comes off in a flash. I find Givi cases bordering on ugly, and don't match the bike nearly as well (that's all cosmetic, of course, and may not matter to you. Depending on the type of riding you do, you might find that the smaller BMW topcase is too small). I'd also recommend the BMW tank bag (I love mine; I've never found another that goes on/comes off so easily. I don't notice mine at all when I'm riding. I've also never had a water problem in the rain, and mine is always on the bike, which now has 20,000+ miles). I'd also vote for the valve cover protectors for sure. From my experience, the "plastic" ones work just fine in a dead-stop, slow tipover (don't ask how I know).

Thanks for the link. I figured this might have been discussed recently since it was a promotion. I searched, but just didn't find it. Great information.

More good information. I wondered about an aftermarket bag;s ability to fit the RT with that ugly (IMHO) and permanent tank protector on it. Looks like touratech makes one that fits just like the factory tank bag (but smaller) Am I right? Does it hook right into to the tank?

Actually, I answered my own question. Now that I look at the picture close up, it looks like the touratech bag has some straps that go underneath the tank protector and does not simply clip in.

Jeff in VA

Advice on the New RT - get the 49L topcase. It holds a ton of stuff and doesn't look bad for the size. The BMW tank bag is probably a matter of personal taste. I bought it and think it is overpriced. I miss the Big Mak tank bag I had on my 1150RT. Side case liners were a great investment. They make it much easier to pack and are a lot lighter to carry than the cases themselves.

Advice on the new Member - no help here.... wink.gif

As for the trunk, I chose a 28 liter case. I just didn't like the look of the larger trunk/oven BMW sells.

I have to agree here. Think hard and do some 'mental imagery' of what that case is going to look like on your new ride. If you get it, I'm sure it will end up painted to match. I started with the large case and moved to the 28 for aesthetics. The side cases accommodate a full-face helmet. Congrats on your new ride - you made a super choice so enjoy!

Spend the money on the 49L case. I painted mine Piedmont Red to match and it looks great, I ride two up so the back rest is welcomed. All my other accessories were aftermarket. I went with the MV-moturrad cylinder mount. I use a Tourateck Tank Bag. You attach a mount to the plastic frame in the center of the tank ( comes off with 4 screws). The tank bag goes on and off the mount with out touching any paint. The water proof bag is bullet proof( but a pain), I carry cameras so I want no water. I put a piece of Lexan Plexiglass cut to fit on top of the tank bag with Velcro. The bag comes with the female (fuzzy) side sewn on the top for the removable map case. I used the self adhesive male Velcro tape on the Lexan. I put my Zumo GPS and my video camera on RAM mounts mounted to the Lexan top. Works great. You will need more tools if you travel far from home. I use a tourateck under seat bag that fits under the rear tail piece behind the rear seat. It holds torx sockets, 4in extension, small 6 inch breaker bar, allen keys and torx keys and a socket for front axle, 15mm combination wrench (to move the exhaust) , all so I can change a tire on the road. I Have a slime compressor in the radio box along with tire repair rope plugs ( only to get to a place for a new tire). Mirror lanyards, Kathy's case liners, oil filter wrench, a turned down spark plug socket( I am a machinist so that was easy). And if you don't get an aftermarket seat, lmao.gif you won't need any of these accessories because you won't travel far. (Read that PAIN ) lmao.gif I have a shop full of tools, but when I change wheels and tires I use what I have on the bike because on the road that is all I will have.

bmurphypdx

Just another thought re the 49L topcase. It provides much more of a sail in a crosswind than the smaller case. I've found the smaller case and two side cases more than enough for me and my pillion.

If the mirror pops off, it lets is dangle from the mount and hit against the side of the bike instead of the pavement. lmao.gif

Hi, my sand beige is about a month old, my wife's bairitz blue about the same age. Sand Beige IS the fatest color clap.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif.

She got the small top case and I got the big one. The big one holds more, but has a noticeable effect on fuel economy. I don't think we've had the little one out on the road yet. We didn't feel we needed so much more space, but my briefcase wouldn't fit in the side cases, and the little top case is, well, little. I think BMW's liter specs for the cases are exterior. In the big top case my briefcase w/laptop fits great. So think about the largest single item you would like to carry.

We got cylinder head protectors. We installed ourselves. You'll want to learn to pull the fairings at some point anyway. They gave me an open box without instructions, but when my wife's finally showed up two weeks later the closed box had instructions. Make sure you get instructions. You'll want a stubby ratchet set with t-25 and t-30 torx bits. Takes about an hour.

We got a tank bag. She, on the low seat, in the low position thinks it's usable, but annoying. I, on the standard seat in the low position, find it unusable, its in my chest, and awkward. We've both been trying to smash it down some. +1 to those recommending a smaller one.

She got side case protectors and installed herself. They look great and might just work. I can attest that the cylinder head protectors work. Thought I'd set the side stand but I guess it sprang back up. Bike rested on cylinder head and lower side case. No damage at all up front, minor scuffing on side case, wish I'd had those side case protectors on mine. Then there would have been no damage at all.

We were advised to consider an extra key, and we each got one. They give you a plastic spare, and I think it would be ok for a few days. They take about a week to get you a new real key. I don't think it's a necessity, but two keys are better than one.

We also got an accessory socket to cigarette standard converter. Thought we had plans for it, but they are going by the wayside.

I guess to focus, I'd say topcase if you want, cylinder head and side case protectors are very valuable, wait and consider aftermarket for all else.

Thanks for all the wonderful advice. It seems opinions are split on just about everything from the top case to the tank bag. I picked up the bike today and am please with my purchase. I still wasn't settled on any particular accessory, so I just applied the the promotion as credit to the purchase price. The dealer gave me the entire BMW accessory catalog to peruse in my free time, "just in case" I want something later. Could be dangerous smile.gif He also mentioned all the wonderful after market stuff out there which, it seems, this discussion group will be a great resource. I also had a question about break in which I will post in another thread.

Thanks again, I guess I am finally a member of the club! Even if a newbie (FNG for all you military types). Looking forward toward the journey.

- Trader

I picked up a used RT (was the dealers own) I got a credit for the top case, I didn't like the looks of the bike with it on and have a large duffel that fits nicely on the rack. I did purchase the BMW tank bag, I like it, the only drawback I find with it is when I turn the handlebars to full lock left it changes the radion station. I ordered a pair of "high grade steel" cylinder head protectors. They made by Verholen. I ordered them online from A&S cycles. They are backordered, when I get them I tell you what I think of them. They certainly sound sturdier than plastic ones. My bike had a lot of dealer installed accessories, (one of the reason's I bought it). It also has barbacks, highway pegs, and a z-technik windsheild. I'm 6' and find on the highway I have the windsheild almost all the way up so I'm sure the stock shield would have been too low. I still haven't made up my mind about the seat.

Hi, my sand beige is about a month old, my wife's bairitz blue about the same age. Sand Beige IS the fatest color clap.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif.

I did not know the made a Sand Beige RT,,Till I passed one on my SILVER RT lmao.gif

I did not know the made a Sand Beige RT,,Till I passed one on my SILVER RT lmao.gif

You saved me from having to say it. cool.gif

Side stand foot enlarger (mine is Wunderlich) is a really nice addition. Not only more security when parking on hot asphalt or gravel, but it is much easier to see if fully deployed. The fairing blocks my view of the std side stand, but the large foot is visible. The side stand is a bit tricky to deploy and has been known to retract back to riding position if not careful when employing.

I have the 49L top case and the BMW tank bag. I always use the tank bag and the only issue I have is that standing on the pegs to stretch requires a bit of gymnastics to avoid the bag. The biggist isse with the top case is that is about 10 lbs heavier than I expected. No impact on handling and very functional if a bit too prominant (esthetically).

Give me a break. I was parked, adjusting my mirrors and waiting for you. lmao.gif

Glad to see you made it all right with that sore pinky toe and all. dopeslap.giflmao.gif

Glad to see RT owners have a sense of humor.

Archived