IGNORED

R1200ST owners manual + some questions

dstutz

This past Saturday (June 2) I purchased a used 2005 R1200ST. The bike didn't come with an owners manual so does someone know where I could pick up a cheap printed copy or even download it? I'm *not* asking about the service manual.

What is the oil level check procedure?

Is there a maintenance schedule online anywhere?

Is the ABS really supposed to "pulse" so slowly? It's nothing like in a car.

Are there any adjustments for the telelever? I see some torx screws on top of the forks but I'm averse to just willy-nilly twisting.

Can anyone recommend a decent cover for the bike? I have an aftermarket windscreen (ZTechnik VStream) that is taller than normal so that has to come into play.

Yesterday I hit 3 bars on the gas gauge and the miles to empty thing kicked in (which is cool). Is that number calculated or is it just a static countdown? Also, when I filled up after about 15 miles of riding after the gas light came on, it only took 4 gallons to fill it up. How long can you guys typically go after the gas light comes on? At this rate I would figure 75+ miles.

If any other ST owners want to impart some general knowledge that they think I should know that isn't obvious from operating the bike, feel free. I happened upon being able to turn on the 4-ways by hitting both blinkers at the same time yesterday.

Thanks,

Dave

The maintenance schedule is available online, as a PDF file, from BMW Canada's website. Just select your model from the drop down menu on the left side (inder the "Tour" category), and you'll find three PDF files (brochure, specs, and maintenance schedule). Just convert kms to miles (10,000 kms equates to 6,000 miles etc.).

http://bmw-motorrad.ca/flash_content/index.html

The owners manual is not available online as far as I know. I would think any dealer could order one for you.

bakerzdosen

This past Saturday (June 2) I purchased a used 2005 R1200ST. The bike didn't come with an owners manual so does someone know where I could pick up a cheap printed copy or even download it? I'm *not* asking about the service manual.

I dunno - sorry. If you really want one, you may just have to fork out the $26 or so to buy one

What is the oil level check procedure?

There seems to be 2 schools of thought (that I've seen around here) on that subject (Killer had that info on his site at one point, but I can't find it now. I must have been too distracted by the new mountain man picture). One is to park the bike - after riding it sufficiently to heat the engine oil cooler (maybe 10 to 20 minutes depending on ambient temps) - on the side stand for 5 to 10 minutes, then park it on the center stand for 5 more and read the level. The oil level should be around 1/2 in the sight glass.

The other school is basically "if you see oil in the sight glass, ride it!"

Is there a maintenance schedule online anywhere?

It's probably worth buying Jim VonBaden's Maintenance DVD if you're just starting. It'll give you a general idea as to what maintenance you will want to do and what you don't want to do (if anything) to the bike.

Is the ABS really supposed to "pulse" so slowly? It's nothing like in a car.

Mine pulses slower than any of my cars.

Are there any adjustments for the telelever? I see some torx screws on top of the forks but I'm averse to just willy-nilly twisting.

Good policy. All of the adjustments I've seen are rear shock only. That's mostly due to the nature of telelever from what I understand. Most people have reported that they really like their Öhlin or Wilber aftermarket shocks MUCH better than the stock Showas.

Can anyone recommend a decent cover for the bike? I have an aftermarket windscreen (ZTechnik VStream) that is taller than normal so that has to come into play.

I can't. Phil (1bmwfan) has a nice 1/2 cover that I've seen him travel with, so perhaps he'll chime in.

Yesterday I hit 3 bars on the gas gauge and the miles to empty thing kicked in (which is cool). Is that number calculated or is it just a static countdown? Also, when I filled up after about 15 miles of riding after the gas light came on, it only took 4 gallons to fill it up. How long can you guys typically go after the gas light comes on? At this rate I would figure 75+ miles.

That all depends on the calibration of your gas tank's gauge (a thin strip in the gas tank that "reads" the gas level.) If you're not happy with how it reads (aka, you can go another 50 miles after your readout says "0"), it's a warranty fix at the dealer. Arrive with a near empty tank to make it easier. The easiest way to test this is to just go riding with an extra gallon of gas in a separate container. Then just see how far you can actually go. Remember the intake is on the left side of the bike, so make a left turn if you think your running out. smile.gif I know my tank isn't calibrated correctly as I can typically ride roughly 40-50 miles after my counter reaches "0".

I believe the mileage is calculated. Fill the bike on the center stand and you can "cram" more in the tank. I've personally put about 6 gallons in my tank before, and that wasn't after running out of gas, so I know I had some already in the tank. However, if you're using all that extra air space in the tank, make sure you ride it for a bit before parking it. That gas will expand in the heat.

If any other ST owners want to impart some general knowledge that they think I should know that isn't obvious from operating the bike, feel free. I happened upon being able to turn on the 4-ways by hitting both blinkers at the same time yesterday.

You can always search for "easter eggs" on the site. There aren't a lot, but there are some. I don't actually use any of them, but they're there. They are the same for all Hexhead bikes (r1200rt, r1200r and r1200gs)

Edit: Oh, and by the way... congrats! Welcome to a pretty "exclusive" owners club. It really is a great bike.

Dave welcome aboard; you'll find a lot of good info here. Where in NJ are you ? Did you buy the bike from a dealer ?

Thanks for all the good info guys.

I snapped up the ST from Cross Country in Metuchen. I'm sure you know where it is living in Cranford. It's pretty well decked out with accessories already. The only thing I did was slap on a tank protector and I'm probably going to drill out the rivet and remove the core on the Remus pipe that's on the bike after reading a thread on this site. A friend of mine (who lives in Cranford) works at the dealer so I got a really good price on it and I couldn't refuse.

I'm already getting accustomed to the handling of the bike and am looking forward to putting many, many miles on it. I traded in a 2003 Suzuki SV1000 naked that I put 36,500 miles on in 3 years. I'm liking the new-found seat comfort and supple suspension on the highway.

Dave

Yep, CC BMW is my local dealer, I've bought 2 bikes from them (and test rode a K1200R Sport last week.......). They're good guys. Who do you know there ? I know just about all the guys except for the techs in the back. I didn't know I had a neighbor working there.

PS Let's get a ride together sometime.

Maire is the person I know. She's been there part-time for a around a year. I think officially she's more on the Ducati side of things than BMW but that doesn't stop a salesman from making a commission on anything there smile.gif. She rides a Ducati Monster 600 or an MV Brutale. Her husband has an R1150R.

I'm always up for riding. One of our favorite destinations is the Ship Inn in Milford, NJ. They have the *best* wings. Ask for them extra crispy. After a quick lunch we ride around the roads in PA surrounding Van Sant airport (http://www.vansantairport.com/) which is a popular destination for motorcyclists on the weekends.

Archived