Crashed Bike Will Not Start

jtolley75

New to the forum, hope someone can help me out. I wrecked my 1998 R1100RT on Saturday morning and now I can't get it to start. Not being completely familiar with BMW's, I was wondering if there is some sort of safety mechanism that prevents the bike from starting after it has been dropped. The bike turns over and the fuel pump primes when I turn on the kill switch with the sidestand up, but it won't fire.

Also, are there any sites out there to find good used parts for these bikes? I have a lot of work ahead of me and any leads would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I can't help with the not starting problem but there are plenty of others here that can.

Used parts can be found at beemerboneyard.com

New to the forum, hope someone can help me out. I wrecked my 1998 R1100RT on Saturday morning and now I can't get it to start. Not being completely familiar with BMW's, I was wondering if there is some sort of safety mechanism that prevents the bike from starting after it has been dropped. The bike turns over and the fuel pump primes when I turn on the kill switch with the sidestand up, but it won't fire.

Also, are there any sites out there to find good used parts for these bikes? I have a lot of work ahead of me and any leads would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Joel, check for fuel pressure (not just pump noise) .. I have a seen a couple of crashed BMW’s that were hit hard enough to break the pump loose inside the fuel tank,, pump would still motor but would just squirt the fuel back into the tank as the plastic pump output pipe was broken off (doesn’t take a real hard hit either)..

Twisty

+1 on Beemer Boneyard

There shouldn't be anything that specificly keeps the the bike from starting after dropping it. I would start checking for fuel and spark. You said you are hearing the fuel pump prime (which is good), but are you getting juice to the spark plugs when you are cranking on it?

What was damaged on the bike? Can you post up some pics.

I would be willing to shoot up your way (you are only a little over an hour away from me) and check it out one day, but I wouldn't be able to do it till at least next weekend

There is no safety shut off switch or anything similar. If it won't start it's crash damage somewhere. As mentioned the fuel delivery system is a good place to start looking.

"Joel, check for fuel pressure (not just pump noise) .. I have a seen a couple of crashed BMW’s that were hit hard enough to break the pump loose inside the fuel tank,, pump would still motor but would just squirt the fuel back into the tank as the plastic pump output pipe was broken off (doesn’t take a real hard hit either).. "

When I hit a deer some years ago that's exactly what happened. The fuel pump plastic output pipe snapped off and the the fuel never left the tank.

Joel check to make sure the side kick stand kill switch has not been torn off. This happened to me on a low side.

Alan

Thanks for the info. I will start the tear down and troubleshooting process this weekend, I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something simple. I will post what I find or any other questions I might come up with.

If the fuel pump issue is the problem, what is the fix for that? Is there a replacement part or does the pump need to be replaced?

If the fuel pump issue is the problem, what is the fix for that? Is there a replacement part or does the pump need to be replaced?

Joel, that would depend on what or where it is broken.. If the pump just pulled out of the hose or mount bracket then it could be a simple reinstallation.. If the plastic outlet pipe is broken off then it will probably need a new pump.. If you just want to see if it will run you can use about any old G.M. high pressure fuel pump & make it work with a little hose routing & bracket bending (temp repair only here) .. You MIGHT even get it to start & idle by pressurizing the tank vent (that will pressurize the fuel tank) enough to force a little fuel pressure to the injectors (won’t run very good above idle with low fuel pressure though)..

The above is assuming the fuel pump is the problem to begin with.. Better than average chance it is though..

Twisty

Finally got the fuel pump out and it was broken. Seems like a design flaw on BMW's part, but I guess I shouldn't be dropping the bike either. Anyway, ordered a replacement from Beemer Boneyard and installed it tonight only to realize I didn't mark the fuel overflow and vapor lines from the tank to the fuel pump plate. Basically, I need to know which hose goes to which item, the overflow and the charcoal canister, or if it even matters which hose connects where. In looking at my repair manual, I read that there is an overflow and a vent, but which one is which, the small hole punched in the reduction insert and the unit attached to the reduction insert inside the tank. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks.

It does matter, but here's how to tell... One vents the inter tank and one drains rain water from around the filler neck. Will the fuel filler door open, blow into each one and observe where the air comes out (a helper can be a help). If the air comes out from the small hole at the bottom of the filler neck, that's the rain water drain hose, and it connects to the other end that goes to daylight directly at the bottom of the bike. The other one is the tank space vent that connects to the charcoal canister's hose.

Getting them backward is a very bad idea because you will end up with rain water in the charcoal canister, which leads to a real mess.

texasaggie97

There is a black cylinder on right side of the bike can fill up with fuel when the bike is laying on its side. If there is fuel in this cylinder the bike will not start. So PM me if this is not clear. I not sure of the name of the part but it is part of the muffler.

There is a black cylinder on right side of the bike can fill up with fuel when the bike is laying on its side. If there is fuel in this cylinder the bike will not start. So PM me if this is not clear. I not sure of the name of the part but it is part of the muffler.
What you are referring to is the charcoal canister that is part of the fuel tank vapor recovery emissions control system.

Some questions, tried the new fuel pump today with no luck.

1. What is the proper orientation of the fuel pump in the tank? I did not mark it when I removed it. I noticed that one edge has a flat spot, is that used to align the pump? Would improper alignment cause the bike to not start?

2. I had the fuel hoses marked, but in my frustration I tried switching lines on the plate. Which fuel hose goes where? I have the vapor line and rainwater line correct.

3. Have not tried the charcoal canister. Would the canister drain by itself or is there a procedure to drain it?

4. I was also trying to start the bike without the fuel door installed, does that make a difference? I installed the door later with no luck.

5. Is there a way to check fuel pressure without a pressure gauge?

Thanks for the help.

Some questions, tried the new fuel pump today with no luck.

1. What is the proper orientation of the fuel pump in the tank? I did not mark it when I removed it. I noticed that one edge has a flat spot, is that used to align the pump? Would improper alignment cause the bike to not start?

2. I had the fuel hoses marked, but in my frustration I tried switching lines on the plate. Which fuel hose goes where? I have the vapor line and rainwater line correct.

3. Have not tried the charcoal canister. Would the canister drain by itself or is there a procedure to drain it?

4. I was also trying to start the bike without the fuel door installed, does that make a difference? I installed the door later with no luck.

5. Is there a way to check fuel pressure without a pressure gauge?

Thanks for the help.

Joel, as long as the fuel pump INLET is submerged below the fuel inside the tank it should pump both fuel flow & pressure regardless of pump orientation.. There should be a flat on the pump & bracket to control pump location..

Off hand I can’t tell you what fuel hose is the pressure hose but if you place both in a jar then power up the pump the pressure line will have quite a squirt with the pump running.. If neither hose has a good solid push of fuel then you have something wrong inside the tank (like the pump wired backwards, or internal hoses pinched, or no power to the pump, or bad pump, etc)

That vapor recovery container should have no effect on your starting as it doesn’t purge until the engine is warm plus you are leaving the fuel tank cap off.. Vapor recovery system being full of fuel has no effect (unless purging at open throttle on a warm engine) but could cause the tank to not vent properly (with the fuel cap open that would have no effect though).. Even worse case full of fuel shouldn’t cause a NO START..

Fuel door being off would have no effect on starting..

You really don’t need to check the fuel pressure with a gauge.. Just make sure you have a lot of flow from the outlet (pressure) line & have decent pressure on that line by holding your finger over the end... If you pinch the end of the pressure line down it should squirt fuel across the shop (as much as or more pressure than your garden hose would have).. Low pressure will cause it to run poorly under power but it should start (or at least try to start) even if the pressure is low..

Twisty

There are two metal tubes attached to the fuel pump mounting plate to which the supply and return fuel hoses are attached, with fuel in the tank I remove one of the hoses from the metal tube and nothing happens, I remove the other hose from the metal tube and fuel comes gushing out. Which tube is the supply side and which tube is the return side? And, should fuel pour out of either tube if the pump and filter are installed properly?

There are two metal tubes attached to the fuel pump mounting plate to which the supply and return fuel hoses are attached, with fuel in the tank I remove one of the hoses from the metal tube and nothing happens, I remove the other hose from the metal tube and fuel comes gushing out. Which tube is the supply side and which tube is the return side? And, should fuel pour out of either tube if the pump and filter are installed properly?
The lower pipe is the high pressure side supplying fuel from the pump to the rest of the bike. The upper pipe is the return line.

Fuel coming out on it's own from gravity is not a reliable indication of what is going on.

First verify the internal plumbing inside the tank. Fuel pickup to pump to filter to lower outlet nipple. Once confirmed, put it all back together.

Next, when the key is turned on (with the tank's electrical connection connected of course) do you hear the pump pressurize?

If so, then put a fuel pressure gauge on the lower outlet from the tank, you should see about 40 PSI. If you do, the problem is elsewhere beyond the tank. If you don't you may still have a bad pump.

When I hit a deer some years ago that's exactly what happened. The fuel pump plastic output pipe snapped off and the the fuel never left the tank.

So what happened to the deer? Venison! Curious minds need to know.

Thanks for all of your help, removed the tank and fuel pump last night and after a little testing in a bucket of gas I found that the fuel pump was wired backwards. With everyones help, everything went back together in about 10 minutes and the bike fired right up after priming the system. Ran a little rough before I realized the right cylinder wasn't firing, pulled the spark plug, reinstalled and the engine ran fine. Thanks again for your help.

So what happened to the deer? Venison! Curious minds need to know.

All I know is she was dead. I came back the next day and it had been removed from the side of the road. Hopefully somebody got some nice meals out of it.

Archived