Rain Gear

Plasterman

Plasterman

What brand of rain gear do most people use? Looked at the BMW gear, liked it, but kind of pricey.

Thanks

Tom

I ride in the rain alot during the winter... Here in Oregon, thats November to May. And June 4th I rode 3 1/2 hours in rain. Oxtar gortex boot... socks and feet are always dry

Two piece roadcrafter , always dry, unless I forget to tug the jacket over the pants Bty, roadcrafter outer shell drys quickly

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

+3 on Frog Toggs. They look like s&$t, work great, and are relatively inexpensive. thumbsup.gif

i ended up buy the cheaper bmw rain gear not the gortex stuff. works well yeah kind of pricey but needed it that day unexpected storm. also use oxtar gortex boots feet always dry.

Spidey9534

I have the Tour Master gortex two piece suit. I bought it large enough to go over my motoport airmesh suit. I've used it for more than 10 years and I'm always dry with it. It also doesn't look too bad and has nice 3M reflective tape to improve my visibility to other drivers on those dark rainy days. I've also used it for lots of other outdoor events, football games, soccer, etc.

I'm not sure how the price compares to BMW gear, but you can usually find a sale a couple times a year.

Matts_12GS

Frogg Toggs worked well for me. Especially once I took the time to put them UNDER all my mesh gear.

Under your mesh gear????

What's the advantage? It must be a big hassle to get it there. Why not just slip it over the mesh gear and continue down the road?

GoreTex rain gear for sailors works well for riders. Just be sure they are sized to fit over your riding gear. I like Helley Hansen brand. You can usually find them at considerable discounts in October. If you don't live in sailing country you may need to use the I-net to locate. NorwaySports.com is a good place to start.

From Seattle and riding daily, I spend ALOT of time in the wet.. I just wear my one peice Stich... not a problem yet on my feet, Alpenstars (Gortex lined)

I just slid in and away I go.. rain.. or either of the days of sunshine... grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

texasaggie97

+1 Frogg Toggs

I agree these look like S%#t but they work great and I do not need them very often but if you mess them up who cares they cost $40.00.

+1 on the Frog Toggs. I use the top with a pair of First Gear overpants with a rain liner. Always dry. thumbsup.gif

...with a rain liner? I have some First Gear overpants but I'm not familiar with the rain liner. Is that a First Gear product or something else?

I've tried a number of rain suits (but not frog toggs). I have settled on the BMW Goretex. Great in the rain, and perfect to keep the cold out even when it's not raining. The smartest purchase I have made.

I've had the new Tourmaster Sentinal for a few months and really like it. It has a hoos that store in the neck and goes under your helmet to prevent the rain from running down your back. Spent probrably 180 miles in the rain with it and my clothing was still dry. I think it was around $85 for both peices.

me? I use Frogg Toggs, not too expensive, work well, pack small.

Frog Toggs work ok for some light rain. I've have mine leak in around the top in a driving rain (riding a few hours) but there are few suits that can take that without seeping somewhere. They are a nice low cost alternative that doesn't take alot of room. Be sure and put the hood up and over your head under the helmet or rain will run down the back of your neck.

The pants work great for a windblock on a cold day as well.

+1 on the Frog Toggs. I use the top with a pair of First Gear overpants with a rain liner. Always dry. thumbsup.gif

...with a rain liner? I have some First Gear overpants but I'm not familiar with the rain liner. Is that a First Gear product or something else?

Sorry, its a zip-out insulated liner . Mine are the 'Firstgear HT Overpant 2.0'

I've got a Teknic one piece rain suit. It's never leaked on me yet! One thing I do find is water will puddle in the crotch area so you have give it a little pull every once in a while and drain the puddle or you will eventually get a wet crotch.

The biggest problem is getting it on! It tends to hang up on my shoulder pad when I'm already wet.

I'm not a big fan of the under jacket rain liners. It may work well in warmer temps but almost half my riding season is below 50 f. so you will get cold and the jacket will not dry out to quick.

For what its worth: I recently tried some rain gear from OSI. First the wife and I tried a 2-piece set-up and then sent those back and ordered the one-piece suits. The quality was exceptionally POOR. Open seams, discolored material and very cheap zippers. Some of their stuff looks OK, but I would avoid the rain gear.

Jim VonBaden

I have a set of 2 year old Frog Toggs and they have been great! They are, however, looking a bit ragged. So I ordered a new set, with reflective piping, and they pure suck. Leak like crazy.

One of our local dealers mentioned that they were having quality control issues. Just a warning to buy local so you can return them if they don't hold up.

Jim cool.gif

What brand of rain gear do most people use? Looked at the BMW gear, liked it, but kind of pricey.

I've used a Gortex backpacking set of rain gear for the past 10 years and it works great... Teh jacket and pants stuff into a packet, they are breathable and haven't leaked yet (unless I leave a zipper open). You can find all kinds of styles and prices in any good camping store or catalog..

TinMan.

Archived