IGNORED

Mix'in and Match'in Tires

TTM3

Just picked up a "new to me" R1100S that needs a new rear tire. Is there any problem mixing tire brands/models? The originals are Pilot Sports. At 6100 miles, the front has 2 to 3K remaining, but the rear is ready for replacement. Dealer has Metzeler Z-6 Roadtec in stock.

Slartidbartfast

Z6 and pilots have slightly different profiles but a new rear Z6 is still going to be better than a worn-out pilot. I currently have a part-worn Z6 on back and a new pilot road on front - no concerns whatsoever.

Just picked up a "new to me" R1100S that needs a new rear tire. Is there any problem mixing tire brands/models? The originals are Pilot Sports. At 6100 miles, the front has 2 to 3K remaining, but the rear is ready for replacement. Dealer has Metzeler Z-6 Roadtec in stock.

There will be SOME problem, perhaps insignificant, perhaps truly ugly. Do you want to find out the hard way that the combination you choose has a really nasty problem?

Suggest you decide what you want and buy both. Then, if your R1100S is like mine, next time just buy a rear exactly like the one you just wore out.

Parrothead

I run an 880 up front and Bt020 in the rear, no problems and great mileage from both if I don't get to agressive.

Archived