IGNORED

Stolen motorcycle, High Speed Chase, LEO injured.

Bonkorama

On the news last night. Motorcycle stolen, perp was apprehended, but a LEO was injured, not bad though (thankfully).

But on another high speed chase I watched a couple of weeks ago, it was narrated by a representative from the sheriffs dept I think, and he said something I found interesting; he said most stolen motorcycles perps get away.

Any LEOS here have any idea?

Oh, were talking about Los Angeles again in these two cases.

i would imagine the statistic is true since it's very difficult if not impossible for a car to keep up with todays motorcycles. i friend of mine is a cop in philly and according to him they don't even try to chase down motorcycles. pursuits are dangerous and put many people at risk so is it wise for the cop to put his own life plus the lives of innocent bystanders at risk to pursue somebody???

This horse may be dead. See here.

Yikes! 11 pages.

Horse is dust.

Never mind! - Rosanne Rosannadana

As a funny aside ... I recently saw a bicycle patrol officer writing a ticket to a rider sitting on his Ninja rocket. lmao.gif

I can't even imagine how that played out.

he said most stolen motorcycles perps get away.

Any LEOS here have any idea?

Every stolen bullet bike I chased was faster than my Crown Vic. Same with the FLH.

Arm all citizen with broom sticks and throw them at the front wheel as they zoom by.

Man that would be a great Youtube video.

I can't provide any statistics, but I tend to order officers to terminate most pursuits involving motorcycles, especially sportbikes. Straight-line acceleration and top speed make it nearly impossible for a patrol car to keep up and generally make pursuing too dangerous.

However, we still catch a few of them when they crash or go down dead-end roads, cul-de-sacs, etc.

If the bike gets away (most of the time) and the officer was able to get the license plate, then (you guessed it) the bike is often reported as "stolen" within minutes of the pursuit. I am always truly amazed at these coincidences!

A growing phenomenon in my area is sportbikes without any graphics on custom/altered bodywork painted in a solid color and not showing any license plate. Combine that with a black full-face helmet, a dark visor, and black leathers, and any kind of identification is almost impossible. I stopped one of them on a four-lane in my city and, while I was on the shoulder with him, eight of his buddies screamed past us at what I estimated around 140 mph. It looked like the superbike races at Laguna, only free. We've even found that some of these bikes have VIN's ground off, and their owners claim to have bought them on ebay.

Generally speaking, motorcycle pursuits are bad news. We can't PIT them and we can't spike them; so the most likely outcome is a crash involving either the bike, a pursuing unit, or an uninvolved third party.

My crew caught a guy last month when he took his CBR600RR down a cul-de-sac. Early in the pursuit, he had pulled his helmet off at 90 mph and thrown it to the side of the road. Then, while in hand-cuffs, he declared that this was an unlawful arrest and he would sue everyone: his helmet removal had made the pursuit too dangerous and by policy we were supposed to terminate. You gotta love it!

I made a suggestion to a Los Angeles County Sheriff about all the high speed chases and the manpower to stop them. My idea was to send one Los Angeles Fire Department helicopter with a full load of water. Eventually the fleeing car or motorcycle will be in an open area to safely (For bystanders and fellow motorists) drop a load of water right in front of the speeding vehicle. The wall of water would definately change the offenders driving/riding style instantly. The water would disperse in a few moments allowing LEO's to mop up and arrest the fleeing driver. The Officer thought it was a great idea and almost split his sides laughing and dreaming of watching this take place. I myself would pay money to see a stop like that take place. How much water do those helo's carry at 7 to 8 pounds per gallon? lmao.giflmao.gif

Quote:

My idea was to send one Los Angeles Fire Department helicopter with a full load of water. Eventually the fleeing car or motorcycle will be in an open area to safely (For bystanders and fellow motorists) drop a load of water right in front of the speeding vehicle. The wall of water would definately change the offenders driving/riding style instantly.

Deadly force??????? For what? A traffic violation? A stolen bike?

russell_bynum

For what? How about running from the cops?

Quote:

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I assume you're joking! There are a few Supreme Court decisions that would make that kind of "stop" really bad news for any LE agency that would go that far.

Quote:

Quote:

I assume you're joking! There are a few Supreme Court decisions that would make that kind of "stop" really bad news for any LE agency that would go that far.

perhaps not..

http://www.cnn.com/2007/LAW/04/30/scotus.chase/index.html

I'm glad the Supreme Court ruled in favor of the LEO. Look at every car that nutcase is passing. Any of those cars could have been my family or yours. Stopping a chase and preventing inocent people from being hurt should be paramount. I have a great respect for LEO's everyday they put their lives on the line. On the other hand, I have zero respect for those who flee, run lights and show no regard for human life while running from the law. To answer the question, was I joking about dropping water? The answer is absolutely not. I'm serious about dropping water in front of a vehicle. I would drop it if I was allowed to.

My crew caught a guy last month when he took his CBR600RR down a cul-de-sac. Early in the pursuit, he had pulled his helmet off at 90 mph and thrown it to the side of the road. Then, while in hand-cuffs, he declared that this was an unlawful arrest and he would sue everyone: his helmet removal had made the pursuit too dangerous and by policy we were supposed to terminate. You gotta love it!

Now that is a good one!

I guess this should be called the Blazing Saddles defense.

I've had around 15 bikes evade me while I was in a Crown Vic... not all stolen necessarily, in some cases the rider probably had a warrant or had a weapon and/or dope on him, etc, etc. Anyway, I was only able to keep up with and eventually catch. I think that was due to a combination of lack of riding experience and unfamiliarity with the area.

Now that I ride a GS-P at work I've had one run from me. He got away. Not that he was a better rider... but he was willing to take risks I'm not. Like burning stale red lights (with tons of cross traffic) during rush hour and lane splitting on Hwy 101 at about 101 MPH.

I may get my revenge though... this same guy got away from a fellow motor a week ago... same time of day, same stretch of road... so I may get to got to round 2 with him soon. heh heh.

Actually if it were up to me, I would put a machine gun on top of the LEO cars and let them shoot at fleeing vehicles.

I think the technology that the airforce uses in Apache helicopters where the machine gun points where the pilots eyeballs look would be very effective. The LEO would not have to take his hands off of the wheel at all. The trigger could be mounted on the side of the steering wheel like a cruise control button. grin.gif

I have no tolerance for these idiots engaging in high speed chases to get away from the police.

russell_bynum
Quote:

Quote:

No, I'm not joking.

And Yes...I realize that in today's namby pamby society of pantywastes where nothing is my fault, that would never fly.

In my mind...if I were King of the world, it would be justified.

bakerzdosen
Wait... I thought in your mind you ARE King of the world...

(Sorry Russell, but if you toss up a grapefruit... I just gotta swing. smile.gifwave.gif )

Actually if it were up to me, I would put a machine gun on top of the LEO cars and let them shoot at fleeing vehicles.

I think the technology that the airforce uses in Apache helicopters where the machine gun points where the pilots eyeballs look would be very effective. The LEO would not have to take his hands off of the wheel at all. The trigger could be mounted on the side of the steering wheel like a cruise control button. grin.gif

I have no tolerance for these idiots engaging in high speed chases to get away from the police.

lmao.gif

+1

I like it clap.gif

Heck, I'd even be willing to give up the use of my cruise control button for that since I seldom use it anyway!

I think the machine gun would mount nicely in the bed of my struck since my county judge asked me to please stop transporting my prisoners cuffed and shacked back there.. grin.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday

+1, but with adequate warnings over a PA system or something; give those folks who have caved in to a momentary irrational impulse an opportunity to come to their senses.

Sorry, i've been off the board for a while. Did something happen while i was gone? Is this the law & order/ LEO board now?

What hypocrites! Cops always speed off duty & never get a ticket. it's one of the perks. <my longtime gal is law enforcement>. Then they get high and mighty on the job when they stop you doing 10 over the limit.

Please, stop the LEO ass kissing. I'm not saying I approve of people putting others in danger by excessive speed/erratic lane changing but in almost every case the accidents/deaths that result in chases are the result of the LEO's inability to maintain control of their car at high speed.

To initiate a chase based on a traffic infraction is not justifiable when often the result is a tragedy for someone's family.

This isn't IRAQ, failure to stop is not a killing offense!

sorry for the rant but you guys are over the top with your comments.

Why do you think a water drop is lethal. Your view appears to be in the interest of safety and political correctness to let the fleeing vehicle go. A water drop would just induce one heck of a hydroplane effect similiar to the approved PIT tactics used by LEO's. Letting them go is unaccptable. Everyone would run.

russell_bynum
Wait... I thought in your mind you ARE King of the world...

(Sorry Russell, but if you toss up a grapefruit... I just gotta swing. smile.gifwave.gif )

I guess if the shoe fits....

grin.gif

I beg to differ, I believe this thread is not about LEO arse kissin' more like fleeing idiot arse KICKIN'!! grin.gifgrin.gif

Many of us have teenage sons. Some of them make bad decsions, like a lot of us did back when muscle cars and street drag racing were the rage. None of us or our kids deserve/ deserved to be intentionally injured/ killed by people who wear a badge and get paid with tax dollars.

It is always a matter of judgment, if someone is fleeing the scene of a violent felony, then of course pursue and use whatever means are necessary to apprehend. However, a traffic violation,IMHO, doesn't rise to the bar of warrantying high speed pursuit with it's inherent hazards. Most intelligent/mature officers do not wish to put their lives a risk for such foolishness. They also have families to go home to.

Some of us speed, yes this is true. How many of us instigate high speed chases? Here's another thought. When an LEO sees someone fleeing, how does he know by the offenders tail light that he is NOT fleeing the scene of a crime. I don't think too many felons drive away from crime scenes obeying all traffic laws. So where do you stand on roadblocks and spike strips? If a helicoptor is following a suspect, should he land and let him get away because the offender may be hurt? I'm tired of all the people who protect people breaking the law in fresh pursuit. I want the innocent family driving close by protected, even if it means taking out the suspect to end the chase. Being stupid has its price. Pay up.

...failure to stop is not a killing offense!

When your actions are putting other's lives in danger, you bet it can be.

Many of us have teenage sons. Some of them make bad decsions, like a lot of us did back when muscle cars and street drag racing were the rage. None of us or our kids deserve/ deserved to be intentionally injured/ killed by people who wear a badge and get paid with tax dollars.

It is always a matter of judgment, if someone is fleeing the scene of a violent felony, then of course pursue and use whatever means are necessary to apprehend. However, a traffic violation,IMHO, doesn't rise to the bar of warrantying high speed pursuit with it's inherent hazards. Most intelligent/mature officers do not wish to put their lives a risk for such foolishness. They also have families to go home to.

Stephen,

Tell your son not to run from the police. Tell him to accept responsibility for his choices. Tell him bad choices have consequences that can cost innocent lives including his on and tell him if I try to stop him and he runs from me I will chase him.. thumbsup.gif

russell_bynum

Stephen,

Tell your son not to run from the police. Tell him to accept responsibility for his choices. Tell him bad choices have consequences that can cost innocent lives including his on and tell him if I try to stop him and he runs from me I will chase him.. thumbsup.gif

+1

If I ever ran from the police, my ass would have been so kicked when I got home that I would have wished they had arrested me and thrown me in jail. eek.gif

But...the thought would have never crossed my mind. I sped all the time. Got pulled over quite a bit. NEVER even pondered running. I saw red and blues and thought "sh*t. Busted." and I pulled over. Period.

grasslander
If I ever ran from the police, my ass would have been so kicked when I got home that I would have wished they had arrested me and thrown me in jail. eek.gif

But...the thought would have never crossed my mind. I sped all the time. Got pulled over quite a bit. NEVER even pondered running. I saw red and blues and thought "sh*t. Busted." and I pulled over. Period.

+2

No discussion...

...Sir, here is my insurance, registration, and license. Plus my hands are always where you can see them!

kids racing sport compact cars have been responsible for at least 3 deaths in our relatively small area in the past 12 months.

Our pursuit policy is about 30 pages. Mess up and I'll be held responsible for the actions of the person refusing to stop. I also completely understand the balance between public safety and the need to apprehend an offender. Sometimes the offenders are serious criminals and that's why they were running in the first place, BUT we are not allowed to use information found afterward to justify the pursuit in the first place.

I think California (maybe???) is one of the last places that let's you chase for motor vehicle violations.

It's also no misconception that the bad guys know our resrtaints, therefore they drive even more reckless to force us to stop pursuing.

I try very hard not to do it anymore so when the guy creams your family because of his actions that were "just a motor vehicle violation" don't complain to me, I'll be completely protected for NOT choosing to initiate a pursuit!!

We don't even think about chasing a motorcycle!

Sorry, i've been off the board for a while. Did something happen while i was gone? Is this the law & order/ LEO board now?

What hypocrites! Cops always speed off duty & never get a ticket. it's one of the perks. <my longtime gal is law enforcement>. Then they get high and mighty on the job when they stop you doing 10 over the limit.

Please, stop the LEO ass kissing. I'm not saying I approve of people putting others in danger by excessive speed/erratic lane changing but in almost every case the accidents/deaths that result in chases are the result of the LEO's inability to maintain control of their car at high speed.

To initiate a chase based on a traffic infraction is not justifiable when often the result is a tragedy for someone's family.

This isn't IRAQ, failure to stop is not a killing offense!

sorry for the rant but you guys are over the top with your comments.

Figured that comment would spice things up a bit! lurker.giflurker.gif

Sorry I can't comment too long, I've already spent enough time getting my a** kissed and now I'm late for work. I think I'll run a few red lights and speed to the station so I don't loose any time in the patrol car being high and mighty.

Quote:

Sorry I can't comment too long, I've already spent enough time getting my a** kissed and now I'm late for work. I think I'll run a few red lights and speed to the station so I don't loose any time in the patrol car being high and mighty.

Yeah, same here. Tonight at shift briefing we have to sit around over coffee and donuts discussing new ways to tax motorists and avoid fighting crime.....

Quote:

Yeah, same here. Tonight at shift briefing we have to sit around over coffee and donuts discussing new ways to tax motorists and avoid fighting crime.....

Isn’t it amazing, when someone gets a citation, how often they ask if there’s something better we could be doing like fighting crime? confused.gif

Quote:

Isn’t it amazing, when someone gets a citation, how often they ask if there’s something better we could be doing like fighting crime? confused.gif

Why is that amazing? Just look at what is posted on this board. In one thread, there are comments from LEOs defending stuff like "click it or ticket" campaigns, while in another thread, there are stories of street racers on stolen bikes creating havoc on their community's roads where the LEO just shrugs and says there's nothing they can do about it.

I think a lot of people, myself included, wish that law enforcement agencies would spend more effort finding ways to deal with problems the public really cares about, instead of making excuses and spending their resources on stuff that is easy to enforce but has little benefit to the community.

Dave

Quote:

I think a lot of people, myself included, wish that law enforcement agencies would spend more effort finding ways to deal with problems the public really cares about, instead of making excuses and spending their resources on stuff that is easy to enforce but has little benefit to the community.

Dave

??????????? What are you smoking?????????????

Please share it lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

It's been mentioned before that most officers issue a variety of tickets and "click it or ticket" campaigns are part of the whole. Personally and from experience I know seatbelts help people in crashes and it's a violation of the law not to wear them. I didn't create the laws, the politicians were elected by the general public which probably constitutes some of the people here.

As for better things to do and shrugging off certain illegal activities you mentioned the stolen motorcycles and street racing. We mentioned it before that we are held responsible for the actions of these operators. If we choose to ignore our guidelines we will be subject to prosecution to the fullest extent. We'll be damned by the public for not doing anything about their activities and we'll be damned by the families involved should one of these idiots kill or maim themselves or someone else while we are chasing them. I know the rules and I'll gladly take everyone's condemnation rather than violate a regulation that I know will be used to prosecute me.

Most officers will gladly attempt to go after the "big game" violators, but will not do it if it means facing a lawsuit, getting fired or prosecuted for vehicular manslaughter. The thought of going to jail because you tried to do your job makes me want to twist my head off! The same people who made the seatbelt laws crafted the majority of our rules and regulations which essentially tie our hands when it comes to a variety of topics.

The mother and father of the 24 yoa killed eight weeks ago pondered the thought of their son 1. driving slower and 2. wearing his seatbelt. I know they understand the gravity of these two tickets.

It's been mentioned before that most officers issue a variety of tickets and "click it or ticket" campaigns are part of the whole. Personally and from experience I know seatbelts help people in crashes and it's a violation of the law not to wear them. I didn't create the laws, the politicians were elected by the general public which probably constitutes some of the people here.

As for better things to do and shrugging off certain illegal activities you mentioned the stolen motorcycles and street racing. We mentioned it before that we are held responsible for the actions of these operators. If we choose to ignore our guidelines we will be subject to prosecution to the fullest extent. We'll be damned by the public for not doing anything about their activities and we'll be damned by the families involved should one of these idiots kill or maim themselves or someone else while we are chasing them. I know the rules and I'll gladly take everyone's condemnation rather than violate a regulation that I know will be used to prosecute me.

Most officers will gladly attempt to go after the "big game" violators, but will not do it if it means facing a lawsuit, getting fired or prosecuted for vehicular manslaughter. The thought of going to jail because you tried to do your job makes me want to twist my head off! The same people who made the seatbelt laws crafted the majority of our rules and regulations which essentially tie our hands when it comes to a variety of topics.

Yes, I realize that, and I should have made it clear that the bulk of my criticism is not directed at the individual officers who enforce the law. I think the whole criminal justice system is generally broken in many parts of the country. I blame the leadership & politicians who determine department organization, policies, and priorities. And I blame court systems that have become increasingly preoccupied with the technical aspects of the law and have forgotten what justice means, and here in the Northeast we have some cop hater judges too. The actions of individual LEOs are sometimes a problem too, but for the most part I think you guys are just trying to do a hard job as well as you can.

Having said all that, it still bothers me that every time somebody here points out an obvious road safety issue that isn't being addressed, LEOs jump to offer excuses why they can't do anything about it. If I were in charge, I would take all of the money the department spends writing tickets for things like parking violations, expired inspection stickers, and seat belts, and use that money to hold brainstorming sessions with LEOs and develop creative solutions for tackling the problems which are hard to enforce but have a lot of public visibility.

I think it's important to be doing things that are in the public interest, because you are all public servants, and also because if the general public doesn't think that you are on their side, you won't get their support when you need it.

Dave

P.S. Now that I've gone on and on telling other people how to do their job, it would only be fair if others did the same to me. I'm a former USAF acquisitions officer and current software engineer. So if anybody wants to bitch about defense procurement or software development, feel free to lay it on me.

[ hold brainstorming sessions with LEOs and develop creative solutions for tackling the problems which are hard to enforce but have a lot of public visibility.

I'm just curious how you come to know so surely that this is not being done. My agency is committed to community problem-solving. In the last two years, we have applied a number of resources to, for example, a serious auto-theft problem. By teaming with the prosecutor's office and neighboring agencies and, above all, by reorganizing the way we do business (patrol and detective divisions), we have reduced car thefts, and collateral crime, dramatically. Before making blanket generalizations and voicing assumptions, try visiting your department and ask how they tackle crime problems and what crime prevention strategies they employ.

Well, first I've got to say that I have no complaints with the local police department in my town. I think they're reasonably responsive and effective in dealing with the local nuisance-type problems that come up from time to time, and they have the respect and support of the community.

But I do have an example to share with you. I live in the Boston area, and we recently went through a big surge in the number of murders and shootings starting in 2005 and rising through last year. The response from the Boston PD was basically non-existant; their approach remained the same (reactive) and resources were not redirected to address the problem. Needless to say, the result was a continually growing homicide rate and declining clearance rate. And the mayor and police commissioner would periodically confront the press to say that they were doing what they could with limited resources and (get this...) blaming the press for exacerbating the problem by reporting all the bad news.

Well, eventually the news of what was happening in Boston started to spread around the country and earlier this year the Guardian Angels decided to come up here from New York to do something about it. They were not welcomed by the mayor or police, and we saw press conferences day after day where the mayor and/or police commissioner would ask the Guardian Angels to go home, saying that the Boston PD were already doing all that needed to be done. In the end, the presence of the Guardian Angels, their effectiveness, and the support they received from the public and media embarrassed the Boston police into action. The Boston PD dedicated more resources, started to become more pro-active in their strategies, started coordinating more with federal agencies, and started adopting some of the Angels' tactics like maintaining a deterrent presence via foot patrols and getting involved with the community. In the two months since then, it appears that homicides are on the decline and they're starting to solve some homicide cases again.

Now, let me try to relate this to traffic enforcement. If you drive around the Boston metro area on an average day, you will see a pretty large number of uniformed law enforcement officers, but the majority will either be standing around on construction details, directing traffic at busy intersections, or doling out parking tickets. I believe MA has a law that requires officer(s) present at every construction site, and there are a lot of work sites around here. At some sites, they serve a useful purpose to control traffic, but at most sites they just stand around sipping coffee or sit in their car and read the paper. The police union lobbies to keep this law because it's gravy; the officer gets paid overtime for doing nothing at most sites. We also have a lot of cops directing traffic at busy intersections for 2-3 hours every morning and 2-3 more every afternoon. Why? Because these busy intersections don't have traffic lights. Why don't they have traffic lights? Again because it's a cop gravy train, easy overtime. So every day, we tie up a significant percentage of the trained police officers in the area to do the job of flag men at work details (or in most cases, to do nothing at all) or to serve as human traffic lights. Now, when the average citizen sees so many officers doing non-police work and writing parking tickets, you can imagine the public frustration when the mayor and police commissioner whine that they can't do anything about the homicide problem because they don't have enough officers.

Another example: We get winter storms around here and people are often lazy about clearing all of the snow and/or ice off their vehicles before hitting the road. This can be a hazard when hard chunks of snow and ice come flying off cars on the highway. It's even worse when semi drivers don't clear off the top of their trailers. I've seen some pretty big sheets of snow and ice fly from the top of trailers, causing everybody behind to swerve and brake in panic. Sometimes people get hit in the ensuing melee. I suffered a cracked windshield once when some frozen snow flew off an SUV I was following. Another woman here once had a huge shard of ice from a semi puncture right through her windshield. It used to be that whenever I would see a potentially hazardous amount of snow/ice on the roof of a car or a semi whose trailer top hasn't been cleared, I would call it in. I've spoken to a few state troopers about it and they tell me they can cite drivers for it, but generally don't because it's a hassle and isn't one of their priorities. So I stopped reporting it.

Yet another traffic enforcement example: There is a modular home construction business located in Southern NH that sells a lot across the border in MA. Their homes are transported on trailers in sections, all oversize so they take up more than one lane. They are led and followed by chase vehicles, which typically occupy adjacent lanes to keep traffic away from the trailers and go very slow. The entourage typically blocks 2 or 3 lanes and causes traffic backups. By law in MA, transporting such a load requires some form of approval from the state police, and the state police told me that they will only allow them to transport during certain off-peak hours of the day. Despite this, they almost always hit the road right during the middle of the morning rush hour. They cross the border into MA, then the MA state police respond and get the whole convoy off the road onto the shoulder (where they still typically block the right lane) to wait until rush hour is over. I suspect that this regular nuisance could be avoided with just a little cooperation across the border between the state police departments.

Finally, since you mentioned car theft, I wish that some law enforcement agency around here would pay some attention to car and motorcycle theft. Cars and motorcycles are stolen frequently in the Boston area. A friend and a co-worker have both had bikes stolen in the last year or two, and the police say they don't even try to investigate vehicle thefts anymore because their success rate is low and the insurance covers the loss anyway (???)

Dave

I personally handle all of the road construction detours and details in our town. All of the officers on traffic posts at construction sites are paid for by the contractor, not the police department. These officers are working overtime on their days off.

We also coordinate high traffic intersections and believe me we would LOVE to have traffic lights installed, but once again the GOVERNING bodies find it is much cheaper to have an officer direct traffic for several hours than it is to spend a million dollars on a re-worked and signalized traffic intersection.

We too have to prioritize our responses to calls and appreciate every time someone tries to help us out by calling in what they think we perceive as "minor violations", but if we aren't in the area we cannot and will not risk others lives by attempting a code 3 response to stop a vehicle 10-15 miles away who has ice coming off of their roof. If there is a car in the area and can respond in a reasonable manner then we always jump on the calls and appreciate anytime a citizen helps us out.

I'm not sure about the thefts of MV's in the Boston area, but most of the time it does become a reactionary response by law enforcement. Maybe in larger cities they have the capability to deploy a special auto/mv theft sting operation, but most smaller agencies cannot. Believe it or not the majority of police in the country are made up of the smaller departments. If you think a Federal police force is ok, then maybe it would work better?

In our department manpower is always a problem. Over the years since I started the paperwork associated with any type of police action has tripled due to ever increasing regulations. A simple motor vehicle stop consists of multiple steps, recorded and cross recorded by radio and written procedures. One domestic dispute (which includes an astronomical amount of paperwork that must be completed EVERY TIME) can tie up one or two officers for an entire shift.

I'm always willing to listen to anyone in my Township who may contribute to help speed things along and increase efficiency, but it always comes down to MONEY. In our area alone we have had a near 50-75% increase in calls with a 20-30% increase in manpower. Our work is quickly outstripping our resources. Something's gotta give, quality of service or increase in taxes?

Archived