IGNORED

Help Needed with High Idle Cable and Lever Problems

motoleo

Just got my newly purchased 99 R1100RT back from its 6000 mile service ( the previous owner hardly rode it) and tonight I had a problem with the high idle cable and lever. After turning the lever to the cold start position and letting the bike warm up when I went to put the lever back into the normal riding position the outer cable was slack and fell out of the slotted hole and the inner cable was exposed and the idle was very high and I could not get it to normal idle speed. Idle went up to almost 4000 rpm.

It seems like the end of the cable that pulls the high idle has pulled out of position. The only way I could get the cable back to the normal position was to pry off the cap on the fast idle lever and unscrew the large screw head and take the inner cable and push it back into the outer cable to get the idle back to normal. I started it again and this time the idle was normal. I'm afraid to use the fast idle lever until I get the problem corrected but I'm leaving for a 3-day bike weekend and need to get this resolved. I don't have the time to take it back to the mechanic who did the service. I've only had the bike for less than a week.

How do I get to the cable end at the throttle body (what do I need to remove to get in there) and how do I adjust it to properly operate the fast idle?

All help is greatly appreciated.

Couple of things. First, there is not need to let the bike warm up. In fact it is a bad idea to leave the bike unattended and let the bike warm up with the fast idle cable on. It gets hot very quickly and can melt plastic and literally catch fire. Just start it and ride off. Take it a little easy until you have 3 bars on the RID.

Second, the wheel that the fast idle cable turns will sometimes get hung up on a lip in the Bowden box. Then the idle will not go down when you shut the fast idle switch off. You should be able to fix it by simply opening the throttle slightly. That should "unhang" the wheel and allow the fast idle cable to reseat normally. If this little trick does not work, you can simply not use the fast idle cable until you have a chance to get it fixed. Just open the throttle slightly during cold starts. That is all the fast idle cable is doing anyway. DO NOT let this extremely minor issue screw up your trip.

DO NOT let this extremely minor issue screw up your trip.

Thanks Jim. I've only put about 100 miles on the bike and I've never owned an RT before so this is all new to me.

Lenny Seidman

I agree with what Jim is saying about the cable wheel hanging up in the Bowden box. But it is no coincidence that this happened just after a service. They probably (or should have) sync'ed the throttle bodies, and when they did so they left the individual cables from them to the Bowden box too loose. Take it back, make them fix it.

Charles Elms

Just open the throttle slightly during cold starts. That is all the fast idle cable is doing anyway.

+1

Haven't used the 'fast idle' on my 97 RT in the past 5 years. Use the throttle. cool.gif

Archived