EVO brakes

T__

A suggestion for you people riding the BMW EVO servo assisted brakes..

Next time you are on a deserted road or out in a place with no other vehicles & long coast out zone get the bike up to 60-70 mph then pull the clutch in & turn the ign switch off.. That will leave you with no power assist on your brakes.. You will get eye opening preview of what kind of braking you have without the power assist (in case your system should have a sudden power failure).. That will let you know what it takes to get it to stop & how much foot lever/hand lever pressure you will need (you will need both) .. You don’t want your first experience in stopping without power assist to be in an emergency..

If you do it a few times you will become much more comfortable in stopping without power assist so if it ever happens you can deal with it without panic..

Twisty

JohnBeaven

Very good idea!

I have tried this and while the braking performance was good with no assistance, the extra lever travel was a surprise. The braking power is probably similar to the '92 R100RT I used to own.

Another thing to consider is to have your brake lever adjusted as aout as far as is comfortable. This will further improve the situation if the assiatance should fail.

Yes, I suspect the people riding EVO power assisted bikes that have some sort of an issue and then say they had a complete brake failure, "the bike had no brakes" actually never got into the residual braking range. E.g. - They just didn't squeeze/press hard enough. Short of a catastrophic brake line failure and brake fluid all over everywhere, it's near impossible truly be 'brake-less.'

I don't believe your test simulates my experience at all. In my case the computer in the ABS was convinced one of the wheels had "locked up" and would not brake. Lever pressure alone will not convince the computer it is wrong. I stopped only because the rear brake circuit behaved differently?? My problem never returned after I started braking with the rear first then applied the front brake on my 1200 RT. This technically would not be brake failure as the system is doing exactly what it is designed to do. It did however fail to stop when directed to by the rider. My RTs new owner is quite happy with it, we had a nice conversation today as I sold him some of the "extras" I had accumulated over the last couple of years. thumbsup.gif

A suggestion for you people riding the BMW EVO servo assisted brakes..

Next time you are on a deserted road or out in a place with no other vehicles & long coast out zone get the bike up to 60-70 mph then pull the clutch in & turn the ign switch off.. That will leave you with no power assist on your brakes..

And in the case of my K1200S, no ABS as I found out by locking up the front & started to slide out eek.gif

I was in a slight turn but be careful out there.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2001 R1100RT and am trying to decide whether I install the MOTO Lights or have the dealer do it. I don't know how to tell if I have EVO brakes and that is important because the torque settings differ...

Anyone help?

Thanks

BMWRA 29114 BMWMOA 115083

Yours should be pre-EVO. Quick check is the labeling on the front calipers. If it reads BMW you have EVO. Anything else is pre EVO thumbsup.gif

Archived