IGNORED

avon storm

taters

i put a pair of avon storms on my 2004 rt. they have 7,000 miles on them and they have a ton of tread left. i don't know how many more miles i have left but i'll let you all know.

I've been running Me880's for about 85,000 miles ( about 11 pairs) Just ordered the Avons Storms to see what the talk is about. I hope they don't make my thighs look fat.

Keep us posted, I am curious as to how well they last. I have been running Metzler Z6's and have had great luck; I just changed out the front at 18k and the rear is getting close at 12k. With Dunlaps I was lucky to get 6k rear and 9-10k front.

Brent

John Diakonis

Brent you're getting 18k out of the front?! That's unbelievable! And to think with 4500 on mine I started to think how much longer they would last. What tire pressure are you running?

moshe_levy

All-

This talk of tread life is regional - it's like comparing insurance rates between here in Jersey and... well, anywhere else save Beruit.

I replace my Z6s at 12k here commuting in NJ. There's a little tread left - I could probably get 15k out of the front and 13k out of the rear, but it's in for a 12k service anyway, so I get the tires.

I just got back from a 30 day, 22 state cross country tour. The Western states have tarmac which resembles course sandpaper. This is what the Z6s looked like after 7,900 miles in (mostly) Colorado and Montana http://www.mklsportster.com/r1150rt/z6worn.jpg Yes, those are steel threads showing!

Tbad news was I found this on Memorial Day and no shops were open, so we lost a riding day while on the tour. The good news is I discovered this in the parking lot of a Hyatt instead of the hard way on some desolate highway! Lucky!!

Anyway, my point is tire pressure and other variables matter, but if I'm bragging about my tire mileage in a smooth road state, ain't no difference in tire pressure gonna help you in a rough road state....

-MKL

i put a set of storms on after this... 220mi from home... we made it back...

PICT0102.jpg

i got 500 miles on them so far... they feel and handle really good...

now looking for long mileage... we will see...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich [

John,

I run 36 and 40psi. I agree with the other posts that road conditions and riding style make a difference also. If you are riding hard, pounding the twisties, you are going to leave a fair amount of tread stuck to the asphault. I use my bike mainly for commuting now, but try to be aggressive in the corners to get the flat spots to a minimum.

I have no scientific data to back this up, but I believe that the rubber coating that most of the freeways in Phoenix are covered with helps extend tire life. But then again, the heat probably does some damage also.

The pic of that Z6 looks odd. There is not much of a flat spot and the tread is still fairly deep. Seems strange that the belting would show life that.

Brent

Just received my new set of storms, I'll mount them this weekend. keep you posted

You wont be disappointed thumbsup.gif

i put a pair of avon storms on my 2004 rt. they have 7,000 miles on them and they have a ton of tread left. i don't know how many more miles i have left but i'll let you all know.

I just had a set mounted last week and I balanced and installed them today. I have a little more work I want to do to the RT before it gets the OK to return to commuter duty, but I can't wait to try them out

I went from Z6's to Storms about 2-3 months ago (2000 miles since).

Z6's were good tires, Storms seem a step better. Traction is definately improved.

I tend to ride hard so traction is of paramount importance to me. Tread life is a secondary concern.

I only got 7000 out of the Z6's. To early to tell on the Storms.

This place had the best pricing I could find on AVON's. I cannot comment on other brands pricing.

http://www.motorcycleproshop.com/tires.asp

thumbsup.gif

One last comment, the Avons require more effort to corner than the Z6's. The Z6's were easier to flick the bike around.

I decided it was too nice not to ride today so I took them on their maiden voyage. They are definitly a different feel from the Z6. It could be that I just don't have flat spots on my tires anymore, but I think they feel great. I can't wait to get out and thrash them a little bit. I took it easy on them today. Tomorrow it is supposed to be pushing 90 degrees and sunny........i'll see how they hold up

One last comment, the Avons require more effort to corner than the Z6's. The Z6's were easier to flick the bike around.

I'm not so sure I agree. The Avons are a lot easier to initiate a turn. The Metzelers are a more neutral tire, requiring a little more counter steer to get turned but less to straighten up. While the Avons fall into a curve easily it takes either more steering or more throttle to get the bike to straighten back up. It annoyed me a little the first set I ran, now that I've gotten used to them, I kinda like having to really open her up once past the apex. thumbsup.gif

And while the dry traction may be better than the Z6, watch out in the rain. I was hoping the Storms would be better than the Azaros were, but they are only slightly if any improved. Avons are still the worse rain tire I've run.

Avons are still the worse rain tire I've run.

Thats a first I've read that.

same here......Everthing I have read about the Storm has been VERY POSITIVE about wet traction.

Avons are still the worse rain tire I've run.

Thats a first I've read that.

same here......Everthing I have read about the Storm has been VERY POSITIVE about wet traction.

My experience applies to the R1200-RT and not the 1100/1150s, but for me, the Avon Storms handle extremely well in rain ranging from light to extreme.

Well we have a lot of chip sealed roads and on places where they've been worn smooth it's easy to slide either or both ends when wet, even at very moderate lean angles. Granted, I realize these are slick spots, but I don't have near the same problem with Pirelli, Metzeler, Michelin or Dunlop.

Well we have a lot of chip sealed roads and on places where they've been worn smooth it's easy to slide either or both ends when wet, even at very moderate lean angles. Granted, I realize these are slick spots, but I don't have near the same problem with Pirelli, Metzeler, Michelin or Dunlop.

In a similar circumstance at Hill Country this year, of four bikes through the slick spot, the first two slid, the 3rd (on Pilot roads) went down, and the fourth (me) did not slide at all. obviously subjective, but this strech of chipless seal was extremely slick due to light rain and across the entire lane.

I would have hated to be on Z6s going through the torrential downpour on the way back from Hill Country. About an inch of standing water continuously for multiple miles as the rain was coming down faster than the road could drain. Not a single hint of hydroplaning between 65 & 75 MPH.

I just ordered my second set of Storms for the R1150RT.

They've been great in the rain, a little short on life span though. At 5500 miles (mostly loaded, two-up and riding aggressively) they are about spent. Still worth the $$$'s in my opinion. Motorcycle Pro shop has the best price right now, on sale for $20 less than SW Moto shipped.

One thing, they do squirm a little more than normal on a well heated Tar-Snake

My experience applies to the R1200-RT and not the 1100/1150s, but for me, the Avon Storms handle extremely well in rain ranging from light to extreme.
ncsonderman

Ordered mine from Dennis Kirk yesterday after they beat SWMoto's price. Too bad I didn't find a better deal.

My MEZ6's looked like a slick on the left side of both the front and rear when I got back to the BMWRA rally after hitting the Dragon last Saturday. 5,800 miles on them dopeslap.gif

Ordered mine from Dennis Kirk yesterday after they beat SWMoto's price. Too bad I didn't find a better deal.

My MEZ6's looked like a slick on the left side of both the front and rear when I got back to the BMWRA rally after hitting the Dragon last Saturday. 5,800 miles on them dopeslap.gif

How much did they beat the price by?

In a similar circumstance at Hill Country this year, of four bikes through the slick spot, the first two slid, the 3rd (on Pilot roads) went down, and the fourth (me) did not slide at all. obviously subjective, but this strech of chipless seal was extremely slick due to light rain and across the entire lane.

I would have hated to be on Z6s going through the torrential downpour on the way back from Hill Country. About an inch of standing water continuously for multiple miles as the rain was coming down faster than the road could drain. Not a single hint of hydroplaning between 65 & 75 MPH.

And I rode through hurricane feeder bands, 2 up, w/water up to footpegs in places on the Interstate.

Fortunately the wind was only 35-45 mph sideways.

On Z-6's.

No problems with handling/braking, but did slow way down at times.

In regular rain, no problems either.

Like saddles and donkeys, tires are a very subjective item to evaluate IMO.

Best wishes. wave.gif

Archived