IGNORED

Getting Gas, Getting On, Getting Underway

DaveTheAffable

I use center stand when fueling.  

492 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

And when it leans over the mass is centered in the support triangle formed by the two wheels and the stand, just as the mass is centered between the two legs of the centerstand when upright.

Do you have stock suspension?

I wonder if Ohlins cause my bike to sit higher than stock unloaded. That was the case w/ my old GS where I learned to not like the side stand.

As far as being strong like a bull, I'm a spindly 165lbs and have no trouble popping the bike up on the centerstand while straddling the bike.

Which just makes me wonder more why people don't use it and why some people act like it's hard to deploy.

Center stand? What center stand? I took mine off long ago.

ISFA while fueling, I never put the bike on any stand at all. Just stand there holding it in place with my legs/thighs and fuel it.

ISFA while fueling, I never put the bike on any stand at all. Just stand there holding it in place with my legs/thighs and fuel it.

Me too. I'm smirking thinking about all this caution in filling up a motorcycle and then tearing off into the distance on a death-defying machine! smile.gif

Center stand? What center stand? I took mine off long ago.

So what do you do when you need to take the front tire off on the side of the road and you don't have a jack?

Joe Frickin' Friday
I sit on my bike when fueling all the time, never got a crotch full yet.

I've ridden 120K miles so far without a crash, but I still wear a considerable amount of gear.

There's a first time for everything. crazy.gif

What's the fantastic benefit of refueling while sitting on the bike? The risk of overspray is indeed small, and the consequences if/when it does happen are not exactly life-threatening, but it doesn't seem like a risk that I really need to take.

Do you have stock suspension?

Not any more, but it was stable on the side stand with the stockers just like it is with the Wilburs.

Me, after riding for 3 hours I'm very happy to get a$$ off the so-called seat!

First I deploy the side stand, get off pop it up on the center stand and fill it right up, then off the center stand and back to the side stand, mount the bike, pull the side stand in and I'm on my way.

I'll have to try putting it on the center while on the bike. I didn't think it was even possible and I doubt it's possible we my stubby little legs!LOL!

I dismount using the sidestand, but I most always park my GS on its centerstand, mostly because I find it easier to mount the bike using the "left-peg-legover" method (I'm inseam challenged). I always dismount to fuel due to the safety concerns already cited above.

I'll have to try putting it on the center while on the bike. I didn't think it was even possible and I doubt it's possible we my stubby little legs!LOL!

I did this with my Nighthawk. The first time I tried it was the first time I dropped the bike. The second time I tried it was the second (and last) time I dropped the bike. I eventually got the hang of it (putting it up on the center stand, not dropping the bike), but never really felt confident.

Most of the time with the Nighthawk, and all the time with the RT, I'd dismount and pop the bike up standing on the side.

1) put sidestand down;

2) dismount;

3) put bike onto centrestand;

4) fuel;

5) mount bike and rock off centrestand.

I do the same but with two extra steps - before #4 I fish out the nozzle key from my pack and attach it, then remove it and stow it away after completing #4. grin.gif

Not any more, but it was stable on the side stand with the stockers just like it is with the Wilburs.

I guess that's why they put both on the bikes.

I've never dropped a bike due to parking it so I don't plan on changing anything. I suspect you'll also do as you see fit.

W. Mazelin

In thinking a little about this, more often than not, I use the center stand for fueling. When nicewife are on the move, she will let me pick the pump and get into a fueling position, she will then ride up next to me so we can make one pump transaction. I will put both bikes on the center stands, fuel them, check tires for gremlins, maybe check the oil. If the station is rather vacant, we'll leave the bikes by the pump while we drink a Red Bull, top off the Camelbaks, grab a snack, etc. If it's busy, we move on as quickly as possible. When getting underway, she will saddle up and I'll give her a bit of a push to get the bike off the centerstand. She ususally starts it up prior to this, so when both wheels hit the pavement she's ready to roll. I'll follow right behind her; then we're off & riding.

Silver Surfer/AKAButters
IF you totally ignore the fact that on the side stand the bike is leaning over, and on the center stand it is upright.

And when it leans over the mass is centered in the support triangle formed by the two wheels and the stand, just as the mass is centered between the two legs of the centerstand when upright.

As far as being strong like a bull, I'm a spindly 165lbs and have no trouble popping the bike up on the centerstand while straddling the bike. It's really more about timing the step on the centerstand tang with the unloading of the front suspension than it is about strength.

This won't work for me since I already know that the first time I try it I will drop the bike. I guess I will have to get my mind right first.

Archived