IGNORED

Low Oil Light

ndfellow

I only have about 2300 miles on my 2007 RT and I had the first service done at 1000 miles. I've noticed that after riding a longer distance and then coming to a stop that sometimes the "Low Oil Light" comes on. After a restart or sometimes waiting a long time at a stoplight, the system clears itself.

I did and do check the oil every time I get on the bike and the level is just below the middle of the eyeglasss.

Just curious if anyone else has seen this.

I try to keep the oil between the 1/2 & 3/4 and only see the warning <!> not the "oil light" if it goes below 1/4 in the sight glass on my '06 RT.

I get the <!> warning on my '05 after hard acceleration or braking. Then it clears. I suppose the oil is sloshing away from the sensor.

Ignore it. 1000s upon 1000s of BMW owners over the years have been trying, and failing, to figure out how to reliably, repeatedly check the oil level in a boxer motor. What makes BMW think a lowly sensor can do it? crazy.gif

fourteenfour

I took the advice of my BMW mechanic, check it before the ride and ignore it during the ride. Mine likes to come on and off during my ride, usually at downhill stops.

markgoodrich

Duhhhhh, this reminds me of something I've seen on occasion, when I stop: the word "OIL" with a check mark next to it. I look at it while I'm sitting there, then ride off, it goes off, and I forget about it. I did remember once to look at the owners' manual, but couldn't find it.

Am I being told to check the oil? That the oil level is fine? What does a check mark mean in German? confused.gif

I get the <!> warning on my '05 after hard acceleration or braking. Then it clears. I suppose the oil is sloshing away from the sensor.

Should you choose to do the sensor and software upgrade, the oil reading will only be available when stopped. Apparently BMW feels that an accurate oil level reading is not possible while moving - thus the available upgrade for 05 and early 06 RTs.

Duhhhhh, this reminds me of something I've seen on occasion, when I stop: the word "OIL" with a check mark next to it. I look at it while I'm sitting there, then ride off, it goes off, and I forget about it. I did remember once to look at the owners' manual, but couldn't find it.

Am I being told to check the oil? That the oil level is fine? What does a check mark mean in German? confused.gif

It means your oil level is OK and the sensor is operating as it should.

Archived