IGNORED

A Grueling 58 Track Sessions in 4 Days

David

I thought I'd jot down a few reflections after a grueling riding experience, and what it taught me about a few things.

Over the last 4 days, I did 58 track sessions at Barber Motorsports Park. To put this in perspective, a typical track day is 5-7 sessions. Each session is 20-30 minutes. So to get 58 in, we went hot at 9:00a every day, took 2-3 min breaks between sessions, a 60 minute lunch break (to eat, stretch, and refuel), and then ride again until 5:00p.

Here's what I found:

1) Working out is essential. I've gone into this spring/summer with faithful workouts under my belt and it's really helped.

2) Ibuprofen: 2 at 9:00a and 2 at 1:00p.

3) Keep electrolytes balanced: 1 salt tablet and 1 potassium tablet at 8:00a, 11:00a, and 2:00p. If I'm low on salt I get a headache. If I'm low on potassium, my legs hurt.

4) No carbonated beverages.

5) Just a little caffeine when I get up via coffee.

6) Drink tons of water. I drank some between each session, totaling about 10 bottles during the day, plus another 6 or so during the evening.

7) Any slightest gear issue spread across 58 sessions will drive you freakin' nuts. I had a tiny rock in my boot one time and it hurt my concentration. My shield kept flipping open when I turned my head at high speed. And there was a soft spot in the top of my left boot, which means I have 4-5 bloody sores from so much downshifting.

8) You have to really pay attention to your body. If something hurts, you're doing something wrong--either posture, tension, or how you're locking onto the bike. The minute I sensed a problem, I tried to diagnose it so that it didn't escalate.

9) Eat little, and eat light. I tried to stick with a salad and then small, quick snack when I felt hungry.

10) Finally, it gets tough to ride near the ragged edge and maintain that level of concentration when you get tired in the hot sun toward the end of the day. It was a real mental game--rider against entropy.

It made me realize that I might enjoy some sort of endurance event on the track. Plus, it's a good way to lose weight. I lost 3 lbs. tongue.gif

Here's a shot Mark Davis took from his flag station on the fourth day.

daviddj.jpg

Firefight911

Good info that can translate to the street on long hauls.

Endurance racing was one of my favorite things to do.

Nice stuff David!!!! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Phil, how long would a rider typically stay on the bike? I was trying to be easy on the tires and only went through 2 sets in those 4 days, and of course there is constant refueling. Do they stay on for 2-3 hours with fuel breaks?

I don't know about Phil(he was much more advanced and he's a lot younger/faster than me), but we did about 45 minutes to an hour sessions when endurance racing and we only run at about 90%. Tires and finishing the race were more important than half a second a lap. The races were anywhere from 4 to 8 hours and some times only two of us would ride.

The pit crew(girl friends or other riders) would keep track of the time because I never had any idea how long I had been out on the track. Then they would put out some funky colored pit board and I knew it was time to come in. You really get into your own little world when endurance racing. It's a lot different than sprint races.

BTW....Great job David. I look forward to riden with ya some day.

Whip

Outstanding! Sounds like a lot of work...is the fun balancing out the work involved, or is this one of those situations where the work IS fun?

One more thing I might add to your list, though I have never (and probably will never) come close to putting in the sessions you did, so I may be talking out of my arse...

Warmup/Stretch. I didn't stretch before doing level 4 in April, and I was so sore that night and for the next two days, I could hardly move. I did stretch out (just a little...5 minutes or so) before our track day this past weekend at Pahrump, and I was totally fine that night, and just a little sore the next day.

Do you warmup/stretch? If so, what's the routine, and do you do it before or after you get into your leathers? I did it after getting into leathers, and I wish I had done it before so I could have gotten a deeper stretch.

Also, good tip about the Ibuprofen...take it before you get sore! I usually take it after I am sore, and by then it it probably too little, too late.

Also, what is your workout routine? I work my legs at the gym, but never as much as I work them at the track (gym = 10-20 minutes...track = 100 minutes!!) How do you build up their endurance at the gym (short of hogging the quad killer machine for an hour or two?) More reps? Or more time per rep? (for instance, instead of speeding through each rep, hold onto it for a few seconds until the legs shake, and then release)? Just wondering if there are any tips for this. I keep trying to get myself into track shape, but I keep coming away from track days sore as hell (although less so after stretching!!) thumbsup.gif

Excellent job, David!! cool.gif

"...how long would a rider typically stay on the bike"

We always changed every hour. The bikes usually needed fuel then, and the riders were pretty well done, no matter whether it was a 2 hour, 4 hour, or 6 hour race. The only exception was when we ran a 24 hour. We would put in 4-6 gallons of fuel (depending on the track and the bike). Most riders go 100% all the time - except that passing is a little less 'gotta do it now' during an endurance run. It wasn't unusual for class lap records to be matched or set during an endurance race.

russell_bynum

You realize, of course, that there's a whole bunch of people reading this who wish they could have 4-5 bloody sores on the top of their left boot, right?

smile.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

'Specully from down shifting? GP pattern?

Tried that once, forgot which bike I was riding, peaked second gear and destroyed a transmission whilst pitching myself into the weeds from the locked up rear wheel. Never again, I'll take the inadvertant upshift mid corner thanks very much.

lawnchairboy

I was truly impressed. I had estimated how many MORE sessions you had left when I rolled my tired sore A$$ outta bed around 8 on saturday, after only two days, I was TOAST. I was thinking "baker is going to be tired"...!

Firefight911
Phil, how long would a rider typically stay on the bike? I was trying to be easy on the tires and only went through 2 sets in those 4 days, and of course there is constant refueling. Do they stay on for 2-3 hours with fuel breaks?

One hour tops was how we ran our endurance stuff.

Sometimes less than that if it was noticed that times were falling off, etc.

Racing in July at Willow during an endurance race is tough stuff due to the heat.

Though I never did it and never subscribed to it, there were several racers who plugged in IV's during their off time.

I always ran 2 man teams excepting one endurance race at Road Atlanta prior to the WERA GNFs. We ran 3 there as we were all trying to learn the track.

We typically ran our pace at 95% of sprint with conservative passing approaches.

Lisa, I don't stretch before these things. My workout routine is 2-3 racquetball sessions per week. There are 7 of us who set up games every Friday for the next week. That's for cardio and hand/eye coordination. Plus, it's so fun that I actually do it.

If I'm not in town or can't get a game, it's the weight room at home or the hotel. I pay special attention to leg press, toe raises, back extension, and...drum roll...hip adduction. That last one really helps. I'll do 12 reps at 180 lbs.

Sit-ups and push-ups every day.

Lots of thumb work on the remote. tongue.gif

'Specully from down shifting? GP pattern?

Tried that once, forgot which bike I was riding, peaked second gear and destroyed a transmission whilst pitching myself into the weeds from the locked up rear wheel. Never again, I'll take the inadvertant upshift mid corner thanks very much.

I'm actually fine with street pattern on the track, but I don't want to be the only instructor using it. I'm on a different bike every day, and it's a pain to switch. But mentally we have to switch, anyway, when riding a student bike, which happens.

I still have to think about what pattern I'm using. So far I've only made one significant shifting mistake, but it was a potential doozy. Fortunately I wasn't leaned over.

One hour sounds about right. And that's a whole lot more grueling than one hour of what I was doing, which wasn't solid riding. There is always a little sitting for a few seconds while you wait for a student to come by.

PhillyFlash
Here's a shot Mark Davis took from his flag station on the fourth day.

daviddj.jpg

Great shot! Who was that behind you chasing you down?

Howard, his name is DJ Jackson and he's a very gifted rider. Does a lot with NESBA.

Fortunately Mark got the shot while I was ahead. tongue.gif

John_Hendriksen

David,

You've explained the how and with the distinct possibility that I've missed something in a previous post, I must ask...

Why?

Training? Pure enjoyment?

I'm always curious as to what drives we humans to such lengths...While not as physically taxing, I'm sure, my friends and family cannot understand how I quite happily can spend 12 hours casting a fly rod. Perhaps it is the "be here now" quality we get from the activity, or perhaps something else?

Just wondering.

PS - it's just water weight

You've explained the how and with the distinct possibility that I've missed something in a previous post, I must ask...

Why?

Training? Pure enjoyment?

Well, I've asked myself that same question. I love riding and I love teaching, but it's definitely a job. It may seem glorious to have a semi-truck of race bikes and a semi-truck of gear show up and be all ready for you to ride a track non-stop, but it's really a job that requires tremendous commitment.

But to answer your question specifically, it's just that: teaching (making a difference) and riding.

PS - it's just water weight

Actually, I'm not sure it is, as I've measured the percentage of water.

John_Hendriksen
But to answer your question specifically, it's just that: teaching (making a difference) and riding.

That explains a lot, if you will. Was this session aimed at improving your teaching skills or were you teaching at the session? (or both?)

Again, apologies if I've missed a reference - probably many - to all this. Honestly, it's the passion for activities that I find fascinating. Whether these activities are for self contentment, so to speak, or as you seem to finding in some way, a calling, a passing of knowledge...

Bravo!

russell_bynum

That explains a lot, if you will. Was this session aimed at improving your teaching skills or were you teaching at the session? (or both?)

Again, apologies if I've missed a reference - probably many - to all this. Honestly, it's the passion for activities that I find fascinating. Whether these activities are for self contentment, so to speak, or as you seem to finding in some way, a calling, a passing of knowledge...

Bravo!

David's a new instructor with the California Superbike School, so the primary purpose was teaching.

That does sound very grueling.........but reason for posting is........If thats you on the green bike,you look very relaxed and comfortable.I have an '05 636 and find it delightfully well mannered.Have done several 300+ back to backs,strafing and pegdragging on it.The very best of luck to you!BW

Just wait till David does a full road trip with us! What he failed to mention was that he only did part of the trip, the rest of us were on the road for 35 days, with 17 days of coaching, 7 days of flying, (some of us had 4 days of racing thrown in for pure enjoyment) and that left 7 days off (sort of because we usually had to go to the track to set up on those days) Now that is grueling!

dopeslap.gif Hhahahahahahahha. I just like to tease David a bit because sometimes he gets a little lippy at the school, you know, for a new guy and all!

Despite the fact that coaching is pretty grueling and challenging, I have to say that it is the best job i've ever had and I wouldn't give it up for anything! The rewards of seeing people happy and improving make it all worth while! Plus, we get to ride, be outside and meet many amazing people.....

BTW, the school is always looking for new coaches (if you think you can handle it - tee hee) PM me with any questions or contact the school.

Cheers

Misti

russell_bynum
Just wait till David does a full road trip with us! What he failed to mention was that he only did part of the trip, the rest of us were on the road for 35 days, with 17 days of coaching, 7 days of flying, (some of us had 4 days of racing thrown in for pure enjoyment) and that left 7 days off (sort of because we usually had to go to the track to set up on those days) Now that is grueling!

dopeslap.gif Hhahahahahahahha. I just like to tease David a bit because sometimes he gets a little lippy at the school, you know, for a new guy and all!

Despite the fact that coaching is pretty grueling and challenging, I have to say that it is the best job i've ever had and I wouldn't give it up for anything! The rewards of seeing people happy and improving make it all worth while! Plus, we get to ride, be outside and meet many amazing people.....

BTW, the school is always looking for new coaches (if you think you can handle it - tee hee) PM me with any questions or contact the school.

Cheers

Misti

<hijack>

Congrats on your performance at Infineon a few weeks ago!

When's your next race?

</hijack>

<hijack>

Congrats on your performance at Infineon a few weeks ago!

When's your next race?

</hijack>

Hey thanks! Next race is next weekend at Miller Motorsports Park. I race over the weekend then stay on for a few more days as the superbike school is coaching there the Tues, Wed and Thursday after the AMA races.

Misti

I just like to tease David a bit because sometimes he gets a little lippy at the school, you know, for a new guy and all!

Hah. You deserve all the lip you get. And great PhotoShop job in your avatar, too. tongue.gif

russell_bynum
I just like to tease David a bit because sometimes he gets a little lippy at the school, you know, for a new guy and all!

Hah. You deserve all the lip you get. And great PhotoShop job in your avatar, too. tongue.gif

Don't pay any attention to him, Misti.

And if he gives you too much trouble, you could always just make a bunch of copies of this pic and hand it out to everyone as they register for the school in the mornings...

goober.jpg

grin.gif

I don't think David's going to let you borrow his Tuono anymore for that one, mister!

Misti, another congrats from me for your performance at Infinion!! Woohoo! Hope things go your way at Miller! thumbsup.gif

russell_bynum
I don't think David's going to let you borrow his Tuono anymore for that one, mister!

The fact that I returned it filthy and out of gas probably doesn't help either cool.gif

David sent me an email saying there would be "hell to pay" if I used that photo....seems like we touched a nerve hey Russell? Looks like I have some good leverage with him now, you know, in case he gets lippy again at the schools grin.gif Hehehehheeehe.

Misti

David sent me an email saying there would be "hell to pay" if I used that photo...

I'm curious about just what currency he can demand after that picture goes wide.

Don't pay any attention to him, Misti.

And if he gives you too much trouble, you could always just make a bunch of copies of this pic and hand it out to everyone as they register for the school in the mornings...

goober.jpg

grin.gif

Russell,

Thanks...it is one of my all time fave pics. lmao.gif

russell_bynum
David sent me an email saying there would be "hell to pay" if I used that photo....seems like we touched a nerve hey Russell? Looks like I have some good leverage with him now, you know, in case he gets lippy again at the schools grin.gif Hehehehheeehe.

Misti

Bah.

Just tell him he'll have to catch you first. grin.gif

Thanks...it is one of my all time fave pics.

Always gives me a smile when I see that photo, laughed out loud when I saw the file name! lmao.gif

Archived