IGNORED

Safety course for son

gasser

My son just bought his first bike, Suzuki SV650. I tried to nudge him into a BMW (HD) but his budget wouldn't allow it and he wanted a new bike. He is 23 and ridden to Sutrgis with me several times, in especially nasty weather. His trips have always been on HD's--a different riding style.

I made him promise a few things: great helmet, safety lights front and back, and a good rider course. Is there a really good safety school, anywhere in the US, that Dad and son can attend together. He will go with me. As a parent, I'm having mixed feelings about his buying a bike even though I've done this myself for 40 years. It seems the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Thanks in adbvance, guys. lurker.gif

wrestleantares
My son just bought his first bike, Suzuki SV650. I tried to nudge him into a BMW (HD) but his budget wouldn't allow it and he wanted a new bike.

I think the son outsmarted his old man. The SV650 is a great first bike. It is certainly better than any BMW (with maybe the exception of the 650's)or HD.

Great handling, decent power, and relatively light. No miles of tupperware or chrome to break/scratch if you drop it.

A wonderful first bike. thumbsup.gif

As to safety courses in North Carolina the Community College system hosts the MSF courses, and Harley has their Riders Edge program. I took the MSF course after about 20 years of riding with my wife when she decided she wanted her own bike. It was a fun experience.

I would stay away from the Riders Edge program. It's too close to the brand that sponsors it. They use Buell Blast(?) 500cc for an INTRO class. Inappropriate machine for the course, IMNSHO.

MSF BRC = better, but very basic only. You may want to consider some another class immediately or shortly after.

I would stay away from the Riders Edge program. It's too close to the brand that sponsors it. They use Buell Blast(?) 500cc for an INTRO class. Inappropriate machine for the course, IMNSHO.

The Blast is actually a very good beginner bike - low seating (lower than the Honda Nighthawks used in most MSF classes), easily replaced plastic and although it's a 500cc bike, it feels (and performs) more like a 250. The low seat height goes a long way in inspiring confidence in newbie riders.

If it weren't so overpriced, I'd buy a Blast before I'd buy a scooter if I were looking for a first bike/campus commuter.

The Blast is actually a very good beginner bike

I have no personal experience. It's just that RE has reported several severe accidents, including at least one fatality, (I think it was 3, but I can't confirm that right now) whereas MSF has essentially none in >20 years. They use a similar curriculum.

Well, if you're scouring the nation for a top-rated program, consider Team Oregon Motorcycle Rider Training. It's a national award-winning program. Read about it here.

They're so successful, MSF is trying to sue them. David Hough wrote an article on the trademark infringement lawsuit of MSF vs. Team Oregon. The crux of the law suit revolves around the origin of the material and terminology that MSF uses in their courses.

Hough says that much of the material that MSF uses was actually authored/designed by others, and that MSF repackaged the material to suit their courses.

MSF (a for-profit organization) is miffed that TO (non-profit) is sharing their superior training program with other rider training organizations that are subsequently dumping MSF.

Archived