IGNORED

Cleaning/washing

bmwdude

Once again, new bike. However, I used ?S100? to clean previous bikes. Is this the standard for BMWs, also? Suggestions? Tips?

ShovelStrokeEd

I'm not a fan of that stuff, seems to leave a film on the bike that kinda dulls the shine.

If the bike is only a bit dusty or has some light rain spooge on it, I'll use Honda Cleaner and Polish on a pair of microfibre towels. One to get the dirt off and then a second for final touchup/polish.

If the thing is truly vile, I'll just run over to the quarter car wash (a misnomer at $1.75) and blast off the heavy stuff, air dry it with a quick 90 mph run down the freeway and then do the Honda Cleaner thing.

I prefer to spend my leisure time riding though, so I have developed a pretty high tolerance for dirt.

confused.gif

Dunno, Mine only gets cleaned when I ride in the rain. dopeslap.gif

Unfortunatly +1

mine only gets cleaned when I'm REALLY REALLY bored, or can't sleep in the middle of the night

confused.gif

Dunno, Mine only gets cleaned when I ride in the rain. dopeslap.gif

Same here. When I lived in sunny SoCal, a weekend washing used to be a regular ritual. Here in Michigan, I'm lucky if I can wash (or rather, keep it clean) for two weeks in a row!

I guess I have low standards...I wash by hand using an unnamed "car wash" liquid, then wax; but only annually.

Works for me!

i usually use S100 then after it drys use a coat of plexis on it as well makes next time easier to get bugs and grime off. but then again i only wash it about once every couple of months or after ridin in the rain as well.

I just use car wash soap in a bucket of water, with a wash mitt. Other than that, I use Plexus fairly regularly on the screen, and plastic parts. Once, or twice, a season I give it a coat of Crystal Glo -- works like a charm, and is very easy to apply with none of that annoying white residue.

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

I use Mother's Gold car wash or equivalent atleast every two weeks followed by Klasse polish, then Klasse sealer every 3-4 months. I touch-up between washing with a California duster and either Mother's or McGuiar's detailing spray. All hoses and rubber bits are treated with Aerospace cleaner followed by Aerospace protectant every 3-4 months. Plastic lenses are treated with McGuiar's Plastic cleaner #17, followed by polish and #18 if needed (Actually, not sure if I have those numbers exactly right) to buff out light scratches. Of course, all of this is done with microfiber towels. I pretty much treat the bike the same as my car.

Oh and in case you are wondering, I find plenty of time to put miles on it having added 9K since March.

Being single ain't all bad.

I use Mother's Gold car wash or equivalent atleast every two weeks followed by Klasse polish, then Klasse sealer every 3-4 months. I touch-up between washing with a California duster and either Mother's or McGuiar's detailing spray. All hoses and rubber bits are treated with Aerospace cleaner followed by Aerospace protectant every 3-4 months. Plastic lenses are treated with McGuiar's Plastic cleaner #17, followed by polish and #18 if needed (Actually, not sure if I have those numbers exactly right) to buff out light scratches. Of course, all of this is done with microfiber towels. I pretty much treat the bike the same as my car.

Oh and in case you are wondering, I find plenty of time to put miles on it having added 9K since March.

Being single ain't all bad.

And I thought I was OCD. But I screwed up and got married.

I have not even been riding much lately here in SW Florida. During May, we had a terrible lovebug season. I took a 125 mile trip, and it took me about 2 hours to clean up the remains of the bugs. They were plastered everywhere from the tupperware to the oil cooler to the windshield. Their remains etch paint. It was even worse for the cars- upon stopping for gas at a convenience store, I could not believe how nasty some of the cars were.

People were getting frustrated waiting in line to get gas, because after folks filled up, they took about 5 minutes or so to clean the windshields of their cars so they could at least see. Thankfully, their short life seems to be over.

Silver Surfer/AKAButters
I have not even been riding much lately here in SW Florida. During May, we had a terrible lovebug season. I took a 125 mile trip, and it took me about 2 hours to clean up the remains of the bugs. They were plastered everywhere from the tupperware to the oil cooler to the windshield. Their remains etch paint. It was even worse for the cars- upon stopping for gas at a convenience store, I could not believe how nasty some of the cars were.

People were getting frustrated waiting in line to get gas, because after folks filled up, they took about 5 minutes or so to clean the windshields of their cars so they could at least see. Thankfully, their short life seems to be over.

Dang! I'd have to move.

I've used the S1000. It does pretty good and is fairly quick. If the bike is really dirty a good hand wash is still needed. But as with most of the other guys on here it doesn't happen often. I know it's not great for the finish but hey, it gives character! i think...

Hose it down, spray with Simple Green or similar product, wait a few minutes, Hose down again,dry, ride.

Mix the Simple Green 50/50 with water. Full strength costs more and occasionally/rarely damages certain finishes, e.g. anodized stuff.

Archived