IGNORED

Aftermarket shield suggestions

JiminPA

Hi all,

I am looking for suggestions on a new windshield for my R1150RT. I have read about a couple from Cee Bailey, Aeroflow and Z-technique but without trying them its hard to know. I thought perhaps some of you would have a suggestion. By the way I am 5'11" with a 32" inseam. Thanks for the help.

Jim

Alien_Hitchhiker

Jim, as you say, "without trying them its hard to know".

I have tried:

1. OEM tall shield.

2. OEM tall shield with a homemade Laminar Lip type deflector

3. Cee Bailey #2 Euro cut.

1 gave too much buffeting.

2 performed well but detracted from the look (oh vanity!).

3 performs as good as 2 and looks much cleaner.

My impression, from reading various owner opinions of the shields you mention is that all work well when properly sized to the rider. Aeroflow provides the greatest absolute protection. The CB and Z-tech allow a bit more breeze to the arms and shoulders while still providing a quiet bubble for the helmet/head.

I'd love to try them all - then I'd know for sure.

I'm also considering a summer shield for the warm months and a winter shield for the cold ones.

But having said all that, I would buy another Cee Bailey without hesitation.

Laffo IBA#34115

I found the stock windshield absolutely useless and immediately changed to an aeroflow. Very effective except for excessive buffetting at high speeds probably due to it being so thin and flimsy.

I now have a Ztechnik and like it. It has to be raised more to be as effective as the aeroflow but the buffetting is reduced at interstate speeds. There is also more control of the air flow so more air is available in the summer when lowered all the way.

All around I like the Ztechnik better than the Aeroflow for pure form and function and it looks better also (if that matters to you). It is thicker so no spacers are needed for the installation. It is also clearer and does not scratch easily. 6 months now and I only have one little scratch while my Aeroflow was getting very cloudy.

Hope this helps.

Hi all,

I am looking for suggestions on a new windshield for my R1150RT. I have read about a couple from Cee Bailey, Aeroflow and Z-technique but without trying them its hard to know. I thought perhaps some of you would have a suggestion. By the way I am 5'11" with a 32" inseam. Thanks for the help.

Jim

Jim, I am 6’ tall & have an 02 1150RT & so far have run the stock windshield (not so good especially at 90+mph) .. BMW high windshield (better but still lacking) & am now running the Cee Bailey Euro cut +2”.. The Cee Bailey is the best so far as it goes high enough to allow good head buffeting relief & goes just low enough to ride with it all the way down & still get some air over it.. The +2” might be just a little high for me as I never use it all the way up & would like it tilted a little more forward at high speeds.. The Cee Bailey construction seems good with a nice thick cross section that is not flimsy or distorted.. Could probably be a little wider on those 20°f mornings but at most temps above 40°f it seems to cover me enough..

Basically it looks good, seems to do a decent job, & is staying clear.. I don’t have a stock seat so that could have a slight effect on the height as I have no seat jacks & the seat is in the low position.. There might very well be better out there but so far I am fairly happy with the Cee Bailey #2 Eurocut..

Twisty

There was an aeroflow on my bike when I bought it. I like it, but a crack has started to develop near one of the mounting holes. It has since grown to about 2" long.

Last month, while attending the MAYhem.......I had a nice chat with a friendly fellow wearing a pink Aerostitch lmao.gif (I think it was Dave. sorry, I'm horrible with names)

Anyway, he had a ceebailey's shield on his RT and I was VERY impressed. I mentioned the crack in my aeroflow and he said he had the same problem, and that is why he went to the ceebailey's. I would say the ceebaily's has to be at least 2-3X as thick/sturdy as the aeroflow. When mine finally breaks, or I hit the lottery, I will replace the aeroflow with the ceebaily's euro +2 cut

MichiganBob

I'm very pleased with the quality of the Cee Bailey on my 02RT. I got their biggest one at my wife's insistance. She wanted to ride in comfort. She hasn't been on the bike yet. When totally lowered I can see above the shield (as it should be). Great product.

Bob

I'm very pleased with the quality of the Cee Bailey on my 02RT. I got their biggest one at my wife's insistance. She wanted to ride in comfort. She hasn't been on the bike yet. When totally lowered I can see above the shield (as it should be). Great product.

Bob

eek.gif that must be a tall shield. I can still look over mine even at the tallest setting.

Personaly, I prefer to look over the shield and not through it.......even in bad weather. When it is raining, I prefer to lower the shield a little so the wind hitting my helmet is just enough to push the water off of my visor. If I put it all the way up, the water just hangs out and won't go anywhere (even with rain-X).

Mine came with a California Scientific sheild, but I cannot offer an opinion on a comparison to any sheild but the standard one, which the seller threw in the deal. The CS was better in every way, but it has two ports cut into it to make the air flow up behind the sheild apparently. These ports howl something fierce at highway speeds with the sheild high, and CS claims they make it quieter !??

Other than the highway noise, there is a huge pocket behind this sheild that extends over the passenger too. There is no back pressure either (that pushing in your back feeling) - another function of the ports I believe.

Great sheild, thick and heavy, but the noise can get old.

Sure wish I could offer a conparison to this very popular Cee Bailey.

I have been using the areoflow and rarely have to raise it from its lowest postition until I'm on the freeway. 5'9 30" inseem. Even on the freeway I only have to raise it halfway and still peer over the top of the shield without mcu wind or buffeting. I would buy another in a heartbeat as replacement unless I ever try a Z technick and its better but I just have never tried one of those.

There was an aeroflow on my bike when I bought it. I like it, but a crack has started to develop near one of the mounting holes. It has since grown to about 2" long.

Drill a hole at the tip of the crack and it will stop getting longer. About 1/8 inch dia. should do it. Plug the hole with some clear RTV. Did this trick myself long 'go and it worked.

I had an Aeroflow, it was great in cooler temps but too hot in summer due to the width and great aerodynamics. No problems with cracks on mine. Some don't like the windshield flutter due to it being about half as thick as stock. I went to a CB #2 and haven't looked back.

Archived