IGNORED

Brake vibes

swilson

I have a high speed vibe I get when applying the front brake at higher speeds. Not a new occurrance, I noticed it when I bought the bike a couple months back. No doubt a warped rotor. I know from other posts on here that it's probably not warped from use but from mishandling during a tire change or other event.

My question is, have you found a inexpensive source for new rotors? I still haven't figured out what brand of crack BMW smokes, but it must be good, since they list a front brake rotor at $210 on the fiche at Max BMW. For that price I could have them laser cut locally, gold plated, and still have enough left to take the wife to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse for dinner. What gives?

I have a high speed vibe I get when applying the front brake at higher speeds. Not a new occurrance, I noticed it when I bought the bike a couple months back. No doubt a warped rotor. I know from other posts on here that it's probably not warped from use but from mishandling during a tire change or other event.

My question is, have you found a inexpensive source for new rotors? I still haven't figured out what brand of crack BMW smokes, but it must be good, since they list a front brake rotor at $210 on the fiche at Max BMW. For that price I could have them laser cut locally, gold plated, and still have enough left to take the wife to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse for dinner. What gives?

Scott, BMW = Bring My Wallet

You might try Beemer Bone Yard..

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/

Twisty

EBC makes them as well. I believe they're around $170 or $190 a piece. My EBC Catalog says they are part numbers MD607LS and MD607RS left and right respectively.

Galfer also makes them. But if you thought BMW was spendy..... eek.gif

You're pretty much backed in a corner my friend. New will be expensive how ever you slice it. I second the recommendation for the used part route.

Ferodo also makes replacement rotors. They are about $160 and come mounted on a new carrier with new bobbins.

Grimeca and Braking also make rotors but the savings isn't that great over OEM.

When comparing prices, realize that the OEM is just the rotor, it doesn't include the bobbins which are a wear item. Many of the aftermarket rotors include the bobbins and carrier.

Braking and EBC are distributed through Parts Unlimited. Ferodo is available from kneedraggers.com among others.

Edit: Just checked and kneedraggers no longer lists BMW on their website, but they still show them in their amazon storefront. (they were the best price I found a few months ago)

beware the hard pads my friends...racing use is different than street use.

these play havoc with stock rotors. dopeslap.gif

mb>

Ferodo also makes replacement rotors. They are about $160 and come mounted on a new carrier with new bobbins.

Grimeca and Braking also make rotors but the savings isn't that great over OEM.

When comparing prices, realize that the OEM is just the rotor, it doesn't include the bobbins which are a wear item. Many of the aftermarket rotors include the bobbins and carrier.

The carrier and bobbins you mention above... are they just for R1100RTs with floating rotors?

Looking at my R1150RT rotors, they seem to be bolted firmly to the wheel with only a wave washer between the rotor and bolt head.

Brake pads can cause this when they get worn way down. My Galfer pads did this. You can check for warping by removing the rotor and laying it on a piece of glass.

• 4 weeks later...

flars, I should have taken your advice sooner.

I bought new rotors... couldn't find them used anywhere, hot item I guess. The Galfer wave rotors were $25/ea cheaper than OEM rotors, so I went with the Galfers. I know, I know... they always recommend new pads with rotor replacement. My pads were at least 60% still, so I kept them. The vibes changed... instead of high speeds, they were now between 20mph and 40 mph. @$#%!

So I -finally- took your advice and bought new pads... and instantly the vibes are gone. I never (ever) would have guessed a pad could cause a condition that presented like a warped rotor.

For kicks I brought the old rotors to my friend's machine shop. He has a slab of granite that is certified flat to some specification... threw the rotors on it and sure enough... they're flat. @#$% again! I wasted nearly $400 on rotors for no reason. Guess I'll try to recover some of my money selling the OEM rotors.

Thanks for the advice on the pads. Wish I had listened sooner.

Oh... and the laying the rotor on glass to see if its warped isn't so great of an idea. I tried it and they did look warped. As my machinist friend proved to me, they're definately flat.

Archived