Securing a 1150RT during overnight lodging

KentuckyBlue

KentuckyBlue

What security precautions would you recommend for an 1150RT while staying overnight at a motel?

Ray

What security precautions would you recommend for an 1150RT while staying overnight at a motel?

Park it next to a bike that people would actually steal! tongue.gif

I usually take the key into the room at night.
LOL - smart *ss

I imagine the 1150 will also allow you to lock the front wheel. You should be able to turn the wheel far left and then turn the key all the way to the left.

Just remember to unlock it before you get on. Otherwise, you could find yourself laying on the ground, right side down.

Paul Mihalka

All I do is lock the steering, and not even that always. I'm pretty much in line with Marty. Never had a problem.

I usually take the key into the room at night.

+1 thumbsup.gif

I've been to 23 different states on my RT.......I've never done more than put it on the center stand, lock the steering column and put a cover over it. The cover is more to keep the dew off than for security.

Aluminum_Butt

I'm with everybody else - I just lock the steering column. BMW's are not stolen very often - relative to Harley's and certain crotch rockets, there's just not a great market for parts.

On top of that, there's not much you can do to stop a determined thief. As I understand it, the most common way to steal a bike is to get a van, four guys, and a sheet of plywood. They lay the plywood next to the bike, tip the bike over onto it, pick the whole thing up, and put it in the van. If you're practiced at it, I'm guessing you could pull that off in less than 60 seconds.

You could chain it to something, but I've been scared off from that because of reports where vandals damaged the lock mechanism so you couldn't get a key in it any more.

I often ask the desk clerk if I can park up under the canopy near the front door. They usually say yes.

I like the idea of using a cover. I once saw a family walk past a group of bikes (not mine) and a little boy asked dad if he'd pick him up so he could sit on one of them. Fortunately, dad said no. But I'll bet it happens. A cover just keeps things "out of sight, and out of mind".

Couchrocket

What everyone else says.

In over 80K miles of touring in the last 6 years or so, never a problem (knock wood).

In order of effectiveness IMO:

Bike cover. Makes even seeing what they might want to steal difficult.

Motel w/ parking in front of your room.

Steering lock. Wouldn't stop a real theif for 10 seconds, but makes me feel like I'm doing something.

Disk lock. Will slow a real thief down another 5 seconds. But at least I could tell my ins. company that I had one on. lmao.gif

Aluminum_Butt

But at least I could tell my ins. company that I had one on.

You can also tell them you had it on when you file a claim to get your rotors replaced because you drove off without removing it. grin.gif

RonStewart
But at least I could tell my ins. company that I had one on.
You can also tell them you had it on when you file a claim to get your rotors replaced because you drove off without removing it. grin.gif
Which is why I use a Xena disc lock with a built-in alarm. At a motel, parked outside your room, it is pretty much fool-proof. Not so good if you are relying on somebody else to hear and respond to the alarm. And trust me, you won't ride off with the lock on the brake rotor.

So what wax or polish works best on a disc lock......?......

Oh WAIT! Sorry wrong obsessive compulsive thread....

I'm sure it would have headed that way given half a chance and enough replies.

lmao.gif

I take in anything that is expensive and not locked onto the bike (Mark's camera bag is usually on my seat). I put it on the centerstand and lock it. I go inside. I try to park in a well lit area where someone would see it if the bike got messed with. I also try not to stay in a real dump or in the sketchier areas of town (I have broken that rule a tmie or two).

That is my entire nighttime security procedure. I do usually take in two of my hard bags-but that is because I can't ever remember which one has the stuff I need in it, and which one I have stuffed dirty clothes and assorted junk into. The one with my rain gear and such stays on the bike almost 100% of the time.

Tuck the RT right in to the bed at sundown, drop a quarter in the vibrator machine, park your sorry self outside the door in a lounge chair and a 12 gauge. It's all good thumbsup.gif

Aluminum_Butt
Tuck the RT right in to the bed at sundown, drop a quarter in the vibrator machine, park your sorry self outside the door in a lounge chair and a 12 gauge. It's all good thumbsup.gif

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Which is why I use a Xena disc lock with a built-in alarm. At a motel, parked outside your room, it is pretty much fool-proof. Not so good if you are relying on somebody else to hear and respond to the alarm. And trust me, you won't ride off with the lock on the brake rotor.

+1 on the Xena. thumbsup.gif The built in alarm on the disk lock is LOUD, although it's a litle hard to unlock it without setting off the alarm (due to the motion sensor).

One night at a motel, after my 1100 tranny disaster, I put a sign on the bike "Take me, I'm yours!".

In the morning there was another BMW parked next to mine. tongue.gif

I normally just lock the ignition / forks, cover, and take all removable items into the room. I also try not to rent rooms where hourly rentals are common.

Couchrocket

You can also tell them you had it on when you file a claim to get your rotors replaced because you drove off without removing it.

I have a nifty "Remove Before Flight" red avation ribbon tag that gets hung from the starter button EVERY time I put the disk lock on. The ribbon lives in the lock case and is "locked to the lock" when it isn't on the bike.

Oh, and you can ride it w/ the lock on, but it is a very short ride. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Lock the steering, put a full cover over it bungeed down and make sure to park it next to an uncovered Harley..... grin.gif

Phil.........Redbrick

DavidEBSmith

Another vote for a bike cover and taking the key. Worked for 155K miles & 10 years. Sometimes if the neighborhood is especially questionable, like the time in Morristown, TN that as I was finishing up checking into the Motel 6, all the carnies showed up to pay their room tabs with fistfuls of ones and change, I'll take the GPS off and lock it in the topcase. But 99% of the time I just cover the bike and there's been no issue.

In fact, I'm not even sure that the ignition switch goes to the LOCK position any more - last time I tried it, it got stuck.

Sad to say, the bad guys don't think as much of your BMW motorcycle as you do.

I was at the Ulysses AGM / National Rally here in Oz last week with 6,000 others. In the first 48 hours 7 Harleys were stolen, all from motel carparks. In fact one was stolen from a motel carpark from between 2 marked Police R1200RTP's while everyone was sleeping. BMW's stolen during the week (to my knowledge) ? Zero.....

As far as the Xena disc lock is concerned.... do this experiment. Lock the disc lock onto the bike.... wait for it to arm..... 'upset' it so it goes off.... and hold your palm over the hole where the noise comes from. IMHO, the bloody thing is of no more use than any other similar (without alarm) lock.

I have never done any more with the BM than lock the steering and throw a cover over it.

Don

Bill_Walker
As far as the Xena disc lock is concerned.... do this experiment. Lock the disc lock onto the bike.... wait for it to arm..... 'upset' it so it goes off.... and hold your palm over the hole where the noise comes from. IMHO, the bloody thing is of no more use than any other similar (without alarm) lock.

+1 on that. I've got one. My buddy bumped my bike, setting off the alarm, and it took both of us a half a minute to figure out it wasn't some bird twittering.

So far, I've just taken my farkles and bags off the bike, locked the steering lock, and let it be. I don't usually cover it as I don't usually feel I have room to pack a cover. No problems yet.

In addition to using a cover I try to park where I can see it. If I can't park it where it is visible from my room I ask to park under the entrance canopy. If that isn't an option I park as close as I can to any entrance or access door, preferably to the front of the establishment. That way there is a lot of foot traffic passing the bike and less time for a thief to work at getting the bike moved.

Ok, I'm a dork. I admit it.

I have one of these: http://www.smarthome.com/7317.html

I used to use it on my driveway (we had a vandal in the neighborhood, this helped me solve the problem).

Anyhow, I first used it as security measure while moving - parked the U-haul trailer full of expensive stuff, put the sensor/ sender unit inside the u-haul pointing at the inside of the door, lock door, back U-haul against wall.

Now if the door opens, the receiver unit (plugged in on my night table in the hotel room) would go off and I'd be steps away. The sender is battery powered.

To use on a bike, just put the sensor/ sender unit on the seat, or on the accessory shelf pointing to the rear and then cover your bike.

If somebody moves the cover, you will be alerted. If the bike is tipped, the sender moves, also alerting (it doesn't know it moved, it thinks the bike or cover moved). A little faulty on a windy night if your cover flaps - bungee it tight.

If the parking area is secluded enough, you could also just put the sender someplace unobtrusive pointing at your bike and know if anybody even breaks the beam. Good for protecting a gaggle of bikes parked together.

I guess this might be a good time to admit that I've got motion sensors for my home alarm in my garage, too...

Sometimes I worry I'm not paranoid enough.

Sometimes I worry I'm not paranoid enough.

Nope. Sounds just about right!

The fact that you didn't mention your laser defense system which is tied into your sensing system proves that you are close to being paranoid enough! tongue.gifthumbsup.gif

Sidmariner

I usually travel with a partner, either my GF or brother.

Our bikes get parked so the front wheels overlap. A big heavy chain lock is strung through the wheels. Our steering locks are engaged.

I then arm my Alarm Guard system, complete with proximity alarm, impact sensor and tilt sensor.

If the weather looks foul I will put a cover on.

This has worked well so far but...

I am in the market for a point-defense weapon, like maybe some sort of electro-shock system. Ideally, it would be tuned to eliminate cats and seagulls. wink.gif

Ray

We just lock the forks and put a cover on it to keep prying hands and fingers off it not to mention kids who want to sit on it.

Steering lock and cover here too.

One night at a motel about 2hrs north of SF on PCH, I bungeed the cover, but found raccoon footprints on my seats the next morning... Determined little buggers! tongue.gif

WyreNut

Ray

Take the key out and walk away. Oh, and I put a cover over it if I am leaving the $1500+ or so worth of accessories on the shelf and bars.

Disk lock. Will slow a real thief down another 5 seconds. But at least I could tell my ins. company that I had one on. lmao.gif

Why? They won't care.

Agent_Orange

What good will the alarm do if the thief unhitches the trailer and drives off?? Door won't open until he gets to where he is going.

Most trailer thieves around here take the whole kit and kaboodle.

What good will the alarm do if the thief unhitches the trailer and drives off?? Door won't open until he gets to where he is going.

Most trailer thieves around here take the whole kit and kaboodle.

If they cut the locking hitch pin or the lock on the trailer tongue, and got the 1000lb+ tongue weight off the ball, they'd disturb the trailer somewhere between that and getting it onto their hitch ball.

Remember the trailer's also backed into a wall, so how do you unhitch it and pivot it and roll it out from behind the truck that's in front of it without jostling it? You could put the tongue on the ground and roll the trailer away from the wall, then pivot the tongue out from under the truck, but that movement's going to set it off.

The "eye" was just perched on a box. It tips, slides, or bobbles, and its field of view moves and it goes off.

The best thing would have been hooking up a lead from the alarm brain to the trailer plug- unplug it and it no longer sees continuity from the tail light bulb and triggers the alarm but I didn't get around to it.

Archived