IGNORED

Reasons for the red triangle warning light?

Barrie C

Hi everyone,

I have an '01 RT1150 which has started intermittently flashing the red triangle at me!

It seems completely random and just comes on & then stays on until I turn the ignition off for a few seconds. If i then re-start it's fine again.

I had this problem once before and it was related to the brakes - whatever triggered it also cut the servo and I was more or less without braking. It appeared to be a minor fault and was easily rectified.

This time around I can't feel anything wrong with the bike when it happens. Braking is fine, doesn't seem to be running particularly hot and the engine (approaching it's 48K mark) is, if anything, running smoother than ever!

It is due a service very soon but just wondered if anyone had any ideas about what sort of stuff triggers the red triangle?

NB - I've also had problems with RH indicator recently. At first it wouldn't cancel and now it won't work at all (although the hazards work fine on both sides). I thought it might be something to do with this but the indicator fault seems permanent whilst the red triangle is intermittent.

Hi everyone,

I have an '01 RT1150 which has started intermittently flashing the red triangle at me!

It seems completely random and just comes on & then stays on until I turn the ignition off for a few seconds. If i then re-start it's fine again.

I had this problem once before and it was related to the brakes - whatever triggered it also cut the servo and I was more or less without braking. It appeared to be a minor fault and was easily rectified.

This time around I can't feel anything wrong with the bike when it happens. Braking is fine, doesn't seem to be running particularly hot and the engine (approaching it's 48K mark) is, if anything, running smoother than ever!

It is due a service very soon but just wondered if anyone had any ideas about what sort of stuff triggers the red triangle?

NB - I've also had problems with RH indicator recently. At first it wouldn't cancel and now it won't work at all (although the hazards work fine on both sides). I thought it might be something to do with this but the indicator fault seems permanent whilst the red triangle is intermittent.

Barrie, check the operation of your rear tail & brake light.. If you still have the power operation of your brakes it is usually rear light or brake switch related.. If the brake servo motor isn’t continuously running but the warning light stays on then look for rear lighting problems or connector problems (brake switch problem will usually run the servo motor).. Once in a while after I wash (complete wash including under seat) my 1150RT the red triangle warning light will stay on until I ride it a while then do an ign cycle or two..

Twisty

Thanks Twisty,

I think it was a loose connection last time around so sounds like a re-ocurrance of this.

So, if you hit your rear brakes and the servo runs continuously it may be a problem with the brake switch?

Brent

So, if you hit your rear brakes and the servo runs continuously it may be a problem with the brake switch?

Brent

Brent, the servo motor will run when either brake (pedal or lever) is moved (brake switch activated) .. That is normal.. What isn’t normal is for the servo motor to run without either lever being moved..

Twisty

bikerscooby

Could be just low brake fluid (even with fully functioning brakes). That happened to me last weekend, although I was getting alternating flashing light of the triangle and "brake failure" lights. Correcting this got rid of the blinky lights.

Unfortunately to check all 4 brake fluid reservoirs you have to take the bike apart (remove side panels and gas tank). tongue.gif The two wheel circuit reservoirs (under the gas tank) have low fluid sensors so those are most likely the ones to check. I have a 2002 R1150RT-P... if you don't have the super-complicated power assist ABS brakes then this probably doesn't apply to you.

Could be just low brake fluid (even with fully functioning brakes). That happened to me last weekend, although I was getting alternating flashing light of the triangle and "brake failure" lights. Correcting this got rid of the blinky lights.

Unfortunately to check all 4 brake fluid reservoirs you have to take the bike apart (remove side panels and gas tank). tongue.gif The two wheel circuit reservoirs (under the gas tank) have low fluid sensors so those are most likely the ones to check. I have a 2002 R1150RT-P... if you don't have the super-complicated power assist ABS brakes then this probably doesn't apply to you.

Eric, alternately flashing WARNING (red triangle) & ABS lights = low brake fluid.. Steady red triangle on usually means light circuit problems,, or rear bulb burnt out.. If the read triangle is on with the ABS warning light flashing then usually one or both brake circuits are on residual; braking (no ABS function)..

Twisty

Archived