IGNORED

Rear Wheel Turning while on Centre-stand

DonSydney

My rear wheel has started turning while on the stand in neutral.... I've read somewhere that this could indicate a worn clutch slave cylinder.... are there any other likely causes ?

Don

Firefight911

Completely normal.

You are seeing drag transmitted throughout the drivetrain due to oil viscosity, etc.

When you squeeze the clutch, the rotation will probably stop entirely.

ride on with no worries. I'd bet every bike I ever owned did this! thumbsup.gif

+1...

This has been something I initially was shocked to find, but certainly is not enough force to move the bike in anyway... still, unnerving at first -- and yes, my other bikes would do it to varying degrees too.

My rear wheel has started turning while on the stand in neutral.... I've read somewhere that this could indicate a worn clutch slave cylinder.... are there any other likely causes ?

Don

Don, as mentioned above perfectly normal (especially with cold thick gear lube).. The rear wheel turning as you noted has nothing to do with the clutch as the clutch is fully engaged just as if the bike was in gear & going down the road..

What’s happening is there is a series of gears in the transmission that are ALWAYS in mesh with their mating gears on the next shaft over (even in neutral).. One gear of those gear sets is firmly attached to it’s shaft & the other gear just free floats on a bearing on the other shaft.. Due to thick trans gear oil & tight bearing clearances the free floating gears want to drag slightly on their shaft.. If all the gears were the same ratio it would really want to spin the rear wheel in neutral but seeing as all the gear ratios are different they kind of find a happy medium that spins the rear wheel slowly with very little force (you should be able to stop that rear wheel with your foot or very light rear brake application)

Twisty

Actually the slow turning of the rear wheel while on the centre stand is a purposely, BMW engineered, 'convenience' feature. The rpms have been carefully calibrated to coincide with the washing and detailing speed for the wheel of the average bike owner.

A gackle of engineers at BMW are currently engaged to develop a solution to faciltate the turning of the front wheel for the above mentioned purpose. BMW regrets any inconvenience caused in the meantime.

Jurgen

"The rpms have been carefully calibrated to coincide with the washing and detailing speed for the wheel of the average bike owner".

I believe this is not a feature of the GS, since it can void the warranty if you wash one of them (except in California).

Ever see a backhoe working along side of the road with its back wheels up off the ground and one slowly turning? Same thing.

Archived