IGNORED

Lost Alternator?

Vincent

Went for a ride this afternoon, was exiting the freeway and noticed a strange noise, a little smoke, and the smell of burning rubber. Noticed the battery light start to flicker. Turned bike off, back on, rasping or rattling noise. Had it towed home. Pulled alternator cover and all looks fine. Started bike, no noise but battery light stays on even at high RPM. I'm thinking the alternator went bad. I'm going to pull the belt to check alternator spindle motion. Anyone had similar experiance or have any other ideas? confused.gif Thanks in advance!

Before you do that......grab a multimeter and measure the systems voltage. You can do it at the battery or at the accessory plug for more convenience. It should be around 12VDC when the bike is not running, and it should be 14.4VDC while the bike is running (you might have to rev the motor a little to get it up to 14.4).

If the voltage is off, then most likely your voltage regulator went out. By looking at the ETK, it looks like the voltage regulators are replacable (which is amazing.......most newer alternators have them built in). Anyway, definitly check your voltages out first.

The voltage regulator is #2 in the link below.

ETK Link

Thanks OopPEZoO, I'll try that. What I am worried about is what caused enough resistance or friction for the belt to spin and smoke. Also the noise I heard. I'm going to guess heat had something to do with it because it went away when I started it later. Anyone had a simliar experiance please let me know!

Turns out the Alternator is bad. The spindle has up and down motion just shy of 1/8". It must have made noise when hot and no noise when cool. That was one strange noise. Replacing this weekend. Thanks! V.

My bike was making strange noises that would go away when the bike warmed up. The alternator went out because the previous owner had overtightened the belt. I bought a used unit from Beemer Boneyard. They're a little tough to squeeze into position, but the rest was pretty straightforward.

Actually, I also ordered one from Beemer Boneyard. Don't even want to know what one cost new? Thanks.

Archived