IGNORED

Tupperware removal order for RT?

Dean123

Hi,

I tried to find an answer to this most basic question, but was unsuccessful. I need to get at the battery of my '04 RT. I am going to install an accessory power cord. How do I get to the battery? Thanks. Dean

1. Remove the left side tupperware, which requires first removing the seat and the lower tupperware. The only tool required is an Allen wrench. After removing the left-side tupperware you will see the battery slightly to the front and below the seat.

2. Unhook the rubber strap that holds the battery down. There might also be a drain tube (approx 6 mm OD) for you to pull out of the battery. Then, slide the battery out of its tray by pulling it toward the left side of the bike -- the cables should have enough slack to get the battery out this way, unless aftermarket add-ons fastened to the battery terminals have too little slack.

DavidEBSmith

And you need to remove the mirror pod, which you do by striking it from rear to front.

And when you get to the battery, remove the negative cable, which is the one on the left (outer) side, and then you will be able to slide it out and get to the positive cable (and can safely remove the positive cable without danger of sparking to the negatively-grounded frame).

Is it an Allen wrench or Torx on the 2004? Whichever, it will be obvious when you start removing screws.

Tip..... inexpensive electric screwdriver with appropriately sized allen head bit, if you're going to be removing the tupperware more frequently.....

dc thumbsup.gif

Couchrocket

Another tip... the REAR MOST upper screw - ISN'T A SCREW IT IS A QUARTER TURN FASTENER THAT JUST LOOKS LIKE A SCREW. It stays in the Tupperware. Take care not to break it.

MichiganBob

Tip # 3 , I like a thumb ratchet with a 3mm allen socket. Good feel so you can snug but not overtighten.

Bob

And you need to remove the mirror pod, which you do by striking it from rear to front.

And when you get to the battery, remove the negative cable, which is the one on the left (outer) side, and then you will be able to slide it out and get to the positive cable (and can safely remove the positive cable without danger of sparking to the negatively-grounded frame).

Is it an Allen wrench or Torx on the 2004? Whichever, it will be obvious when you start removing screws.

my 2004 uses torx.

2. Unhook the rubber strap that holds the battery down. There might also be a drain tube (approx 6 mm OD) for you to pull out of the battery. Then, slide the battery out of its tray by pulling it toward the left side of the bike -- the cables should have enough slack to get the battery out this way, unless aftermarket add-ons fastened to the battery terminals have too little slack.

Cool... I just learned something. Didn't know it slid out. I thought I'd have to remove both sides and tank just to get to the battery.

Is this type of stuff in the owner's manual?

Archived