IGNORED

Michelin Anakee and Continental TKC-80 life

Firefight911

Firefight911

As I will be taking the new GSA to the UNrally this fall, I am trying to figure out what kind of mileage can be expected from the Anakee and the TKC-80.

Any feedback would be appreciated on overall wear, etc. I am especially interested in the wear on the last 1/3 of the tread so I can plan ahead for the required on the road tire change.

TIA!! wave.gifwave.gif

I just did 4000 miles with Anakee V rated tires on the KTM(2 up). Looks like they have 2000 left in em. I think they stick as good as any street/sport tire I've ever used.

Scott (Kaneman's friend at Torrey that threw a final drive on his GS) had TKC's and they were cooked with about 4000 on em.

I can't imagine riding across the country on highways with TKCs. But I haven't tried it either.

Whip

BTW....I'm only gonna say this once.....take the ST.

Paul Mihalka

With my new/used GS I have no personal experience yet. It came with Anakees but I don't know at what mileage they were mounted. After extensive reading at ADVRIDER consensus seems to be that Tourances last longer than Anakees and Avon Distanzia beats them both. I'll try them.

Firefight911
Scott (Kaneman's friend at Torrey that threw a final drive on his GS) had TKC's and they were cooked with about 4000 on em.

I can't imagine riding across the country on highways with TKCs. But I haven't tried it either.

Whip

I forgot that Scott had those on there!! That is definitely good news with the Anakee.

And I am only going to tell you once, the TKC's won't fit on the ST!!! lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Whip

I forgot that Scott had those on there!! That is definitely good news with the Anakee.

And I am only going to tell you once, the TKC's won't fit on the ST!!! lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

If your taking the GSA I wouldn't worry about how long the tires last.....it's the rest of the bike I would be worried about. There!!! I said it.....I promise I won't say it again.................Today.

Whip

steve.foote

Phil, I've had both on my 12GS. I'm currently on a new set of TKC-80's. My Michelins lasted about 7500 on the rear and close to 10k on the front. The TKC's won't get near that.

If I were planning a trip like you are, I'd go with the Anakees or Tourance. The only place the TKC's are going to help you is in a serious off-road setting.

Firefight911

Agreed. The TKC's only come in to play if the route happens to end up pulling us to Alaska.

So far I have routed about 5500 miles from the East coast back to home and including Hyder, AK.

Thanks for the info. I am quite impressed with what I am hearing as to the capabilities of the Anakee in performance and now in wear.

Steve, is the wear linear throughout the life or do they tend to wear out faster near the end?

Just want to have an idea as to what I should expect from these tires.

steve.foote

My experience with the Anakees is very linear wear. No suprises at the end. They also have fantastic grip on wet pavement.

My experience with the Anakees is very linear wear. No suprises at the end. They also have fantastic grip on wet pavement.
+1

I'm getting 5 - 6K miles out of a set.

The TKCs are probably the best in the dirt and handle the road extremely well but don't really last that long on the road. If you are a 80/20 or 90/10 road vs dirt rider, the Tourance or Anakee would be a better choice. If you're going to Copper Canyon, I'll take the TKCs any day.

Firefight911

Copper Canyon!!!

That is for next year. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Whip????????????? Wanna???????

My 06 R12GS came with Anakees. I'm on my second set and the bike just turned 14k miles. I got 8600 miles out of the first rear and 12000 out of the original front. I probably could have gotten another thou out of my front. That includes several track days and plenty of hard street riding.

The TKC's will wear a lot faster. They are a great tire, but since I ride street 95% of the time, the Anakees are perfect for me. If and when I start riding more dirt and less street, I'll switch to the TKCs.

So far I have routed about 5500 miles from the East coast back to home and including Hyder, AK.

I must be reading this wrong, does the 5500 miles include stopping in Hyder or is it just CA-WV-CA? Seems like adding in AK would make the total closer to 7500 miles.

Firefight911

I must be reading this wrong, does the 5500 miles include stopping in Hyder or is it just CA-WV-CA? Seems like adding in AK would make the total closer to 7500 miles.

That mileage is ONLY from New York to Hyder and then home to CA.

I'll know the west to east number after Wednesday when Michael (SageRider), Jamie (KMG_365), and I meet to sort out the Pied Piper tour route.

I expect somewhere between 10,000 and 13,000 miles for the whole trip. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Archived