IGNORED

Crush Washer

tcshooter

Where do you go to buy your crush washers when your local dealer goes out of business? I will need to do a 6k service within 500 miles and want to get the supplies now so I will be ready. Also can I use the Mobil 1 to replace the BMW Synthetic oil the dealer put in at my last service?

I would go to ascycles.com, maxbmwmotorcycles.com, or chicagobmwmotorcycle.com. They sell 6K mile kits that include the oil, filter, and crush washer. If you need just the crush washer, I would get the measurements and go to an Ace hardware or the like.

I would hold off on synthetic until 12K - but that is just my opinion.

Sorry I should have clarified, my bike has almost 18k miles on it, I had the synthetic oil put in at the 12K service, so I would like to stay with the Syn. stuff. I have looked at the 6k kits from Sierra and Max but they don't sell a syn. version unless I missed it. Which could be the case grin.gif

glwestcott

My local car parts store has 'em. Can't remember the size for sure, but I think 18 mm. May be wrong. I bought a bunch a year or so ago.

Most any auto parts store has them.

Or just reuse the old one. The 'service life' of a BMW bike crush washer is highly underrated! Some people never replace them.

As far as I can recall, I'm still using the original crush washers on my 1996 RT.

Best Wishes, Mark Shuell.

As far as I can recall, I'm still using the original crush washers on my 1996 RT

Not much "crush" left in 11 year old crush washers !!

Many of the crush washers are the same as used on BMW autos. You might want to check with your local car dealership. Crush washers are pretty cheap, even at a dealer wink.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

Nor do they need much "crush". It is simply a gasket. So long as the sealing surfaces are clean, it will do its job. Keep in mind, there is not real pressure except that of a column of oil about 4" high and whatever the crankcase pressure may be. Not at all the same kettle of fish as a spark plug washer which many routinely re-use.

Archived