IGNORED

'05 1200 ST Wheel Removal Required Muffler Removal

Marilyn

I changed my final drive fluid yesterday with help from several local club members. They had done 4 GS's before getting to my ST. I just received my BMW Maintenance DVD the night before (thanks Jim) which was very timely and a great help, and we had the DVD to refer to when there was a question. However, with my ST, we could not get the rear wheel off, without removing

the muffler. The rim of the wheel wouldn't clear the brake rotor. I let the air

out of the tire, to try that before removing the muffler. It just didn't make sense to any of us that BMW would have designed it this way. Surely we were missing something.

Anybody tried removing wheel from an ST, with better success than we had??? confused.gif

Not sure about the ST but on the R1200RT you have to remove the muffler to get the rear tire off. It's only 2 screws and mine came off easily.

duckbubbles

Do you have the owners manual? Removing each wheel is covered in there.

And yes, you have to at least rotate the muffler out of the way. I just take it off since you are only that step away.

Frank

You do not need to completely remove the rear exhaust to change the rear wheel. Loosen the clamp bolt at the catalyser and undo the top mounting bolt, exhaust can now be rotated sideways sufficiently for the rear wheel to come out.

Jim VonBaden
You do not need to completely remove the rear exhaust to change the rear wheel. Loosen the clamp bolt at the catalyser and undo the top mounting bolt, exhaust can now be rotated sideways sufficiently for the rear wheel to come out.

Yup, like this!

my-baby-without-its-back-ti.jpg

Jim cool.gif

Post reinstallation of wheel, be sure to recheck your wheel bolt torques after 50 hour of riding. Several people have noticed that the bolts need a series of 2 tightenings.

After 50 hours of riding, it's time for a new rear tire for me (only exaggerating slightly, am on my 5th rear tire with only 13.8k miles on the odo).

Firefight911
After 50 hours of riding, it's time for a new rear tire for me (only exaggerating slightly, am on my 5th rear tire with only 13.8k miles on the odo).

Uh, perhaps a small tip for ya!!!

Ease off the front brake and let the whole bike move forward, not just the rear wheel in a smoking cloud of rubber smoke!!!

Just a thought!

Either that or you need to stop driving through the construction sites in your area!

dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

duckbubbles

Just curious, aciurczak, what brand and compound tires are you using? I got less than 3000 out of a Michelin Pilot Power rear, that's just not enough for my kind of riding, but I loved the grip.

Frank

I've used the Conti Road Attacks, the Metzeler Z6's, and a few sets of the Pilot Roads. I seem to get similar mileage out of all of them (from 3k to 4k max on the rear, somewhat more on the front). Tire pressures are checked religiously, but riding aggressively two-up for long distances just wipes out tires on the bike. Even 1-up, certain types of riding that I enjoy (long-distance / relatively high speed / avoiding the interstate) seems to burn things up faster than I'd expect. I had a brand-new Pilot Road on the rear before heading to Death Valley at the end of April, 1200 miles later when I got home, the tire was well over half gone. Perfectly even wear, just gone. I'm incredulous when I hear about people getting 8k - 10k on tires on the bike, and wonder what type of riding the bike is used for. Of the ones listed above, my preference is the Pilot Roads. Great dry grip, great wet grip, and even wear pattern from new down to the end. The Z6's don't behave well for me when the tread is nowhere close to gone yet.

My next set will be the new Avon Storms; I've got a pair sitting in the garage to put on after the Cal24 this weekend, which will definitely eat up the other half of that rear tire.

Thanks everyone, I knew I'd get the answer here. At least I'll know next time.

and appreciate the link, Phil; and the photo, Jim.

Archived