IGNORED

does the high idle lever have two positions?

vtr1000

Hey guys, I can only seem to find one position for the high idle lever on my 02 1150rt. I bought the bike used and I thought I read somewhere the lever has two positions? I can only pull it up one notch and it seems like it has some room to come up more but it wont budge. My other question is, how does this lever work?,does it open the thottles or is there some kind of enrichment that takes place from the ECM and if so where does this lever's cable attach too? Thanks everyone.

There are two positions of "choke" on, the place you can move it and it stays and the second position is where you can move it past the first and hold it there (it won't stay in the second postion by itself). The cable from the lever attaches to the throttle cable junction box and simply opens the throttle slightly. The ECU doesn't get any feedback from the "choke" (which is just a fast idle adjustment).

The ECU doesn't get any feedback from the "choke" (which is just a fast idle adjustment).

Exactly. And the reason is pretty simple. The ECU already "knows" (via various sensors) if the motor is cold and needs starting enrichment. There is no need for the so-called "choke" lever to tell it that. It will add enrichment as needed, automatically.

BigGalloot

It sounds like you are pulling it up to use it. Just to be certain, you push it down to use it and pull it up for normal riding.

I can only pull it up one notch and it seems like it has some room to come up more but it wont budge.
It sounds like you are pulling it up to use it. Just to be certain, you push it down to use it and pull it up for normal riding.

I can only pull it up one notch and it seems like it has some room to come up more but it wont budge.

Ed, the 02 RT comes up for fast idle.. Up to first notch is normal fast idle.. Up a little more (must be held there though) gives a little higher fast idle yet for real cold starts..

Twisty

Ed, the 02 RT comes up for fast idle.. Up to first notch is normal fast idle.. Up a little more (must be held there though) gives a little higher fast idle yet for real cold starts..

Twisty

In other words, try pushing the idle lever down to see if you have it in the first detent already. You might have it in the 1st fast idle already.

Thanks everyone, I didn't realize you have to hold the lever up in the second position,I thought it was a detent. that makes me feel better.

Archived