IGNORED

is this (leak) a problem?

tgrrdr

it's hard for me to tell where this oil (?) is coming from but I cleaned it off last weekend and it's back in only a few hundred miles. There's not enough to actually drip off onto the ground but as you can see there is enough to attract dirt. Do you think this is a problem? If it is a problem, is it just annoying or is it something that should be fixed immediately?

thanks,

Bill

CIMG0871-s.jpg

full size pic (2 MB file).

ShovelStrokeEd

Well, define problem. Does it require instant repair lest death or dismemeberment occur? Probably not. It is indicative of a failing seal though and that could point to a bearing problem that well could lead to the afore mentioned D&D. I would bring it to the dealer, in its uncleaned state and make arrangements to have it fixed. Have him look at that front pivot bearing as well. Mitterweil, might be a good idea to not stray too far from home.

Dont look good,,Its good you have pictures,,Keep them in you bike file,Never know what a dealer well say these days,I good file with pictures well help down the road deal with BMW NA ,

I would absolutely bring this leak problem back to the dealer for repair under warranty. I have 24k plus miles on my 2006 RT and do not have this oil leak.

Bill,

Any leak, no matter how bad, is a problem. Is you motorcycle still under warranty? If so, get the bike there to get it fixed for $0.00. Well, let me just add also that if you're not under warranty, you need to take it to the dealer anyways to get it fixed.

Will it fail catastrophically? Probably not...but my rule of thumb is that if it could cause me injury or death, I'm not going to chance letting the problem continue...

St0nkingByte
CIMG0871-s.jpg

There's a black plastic cover missing from that joint there on the right side of the picture, thats probably bad.

That's a lot of leak. You definitely have a problem. The mentioned pivot bearing cap is strictly cosmetic, not related to the leak, but it makes one wonder what the history of this particular final drive is.

That's a lot of leak. You definitely have a problem. The mentioned pivot bearing cap is strictly cosmetic, not related to the leak, but it makes one wonder what the history of this particular final drive is.

I had the bike serviced at the end of February and they "renewed the F/D oil" - I assume that it's a coincidence that it started leaking three months and 4,000 miles after it was serviced. I didn't notice anything unusual until I saw the leak last weekend. I cleaned it up to see how bad it was and it was definitely worse yesterday. I don't know if that means the leakage rate is accelerating or if it had just started leaking a day or two before I first noticed it. I've got a service appointment in 10 days and it will be covered under warranty. One thing I didn't notice until today is that some of the oil has gotten on the rotor and I'll have to be careful the brake pads didn't get contaminated.

Thanks for all the replies and I'll update this thread after it's fixed.

Firefight911

If it's on the rotor, it's on the pads!!

Make a note of it and insist on new pads when it is in for warranty work.

Jim VonBaden

I had the bike serviced at the end of February and they "renewed the F/D oil" - I assume that it's a coincidence that it started leaking three months and 4,000 miles after it was serviced. I didn't notice anything unusual until I saw the leak last weekend. I cleaned it up to see how bad it was and it was definitely worse yesterday. I don't know if that means the leakage rate is accelerating or if it had just started leaking a day or two before I first noticed it. I've got a service appointment in 10 days and it will be covered under warranty. One thing I didn't notice until today is that some of the oil has gotten on the rotor and I'll have to be careful the brake pads didn't get contaminated.

Thanks for all the replies and I'll update this thread after it's fixed.

I very much doubt it has nothing to do with when the oil change was done.

13final-drive.jpg

Here was mine. No big deal, and a 30 minute fix. It is simply a seal under the black cover.

IF you have lost a lot of fluid, and kept riding it, bearing damage may have occurred. I rode mine 400 mile like this before replacement.

Jim cool.gif

Jim,

My RT just started doing this also, I noticed it yesterday after hitting 15k miles. Do you have the part number for the seal and pictures of the fix?

Wade.

Jim,

My RT just started doing this also, I noticed it yesterday after hitting 15k miles. Do you have the part number for the seal and pictures of the fix?

Wade.

the dealer's going to fix mine under warranty. Service Manager said there is a service bulletin that covers this issue.

the dealer's going to fix mine under warranty. Service Manager said there is a service bulletin that covers this issue.
Do you have any other details on this service bulletin? I'm taking my ST in next week for the 600 mile service and if this bulletin is applicable, I want 'em to take a look.
Do you have any other details on this service bulletin? I'm taking my ST in next week for the 600 mile service and if this bulletin is applicable, I want 'em to take a look.

no more info, just that the service manager mentioned it. I'm taking the bike in Tuesday so I can ask if no one else chimes in with the info before then.

Kudos to Ride West.

I called the service department today and explained the issue. They were aware of this condition from past failed seals and have fit me in for a 4pm repair.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so three weeks after they replace both the input and output gearbox seals, and the clutch my bike has sprung this leak also! confused.gif

DSCF0469.jpg

DSCF0468.jpg

As you can see it is leaking quite badly, the rear tire is covered in oil and the rear brake has become almost non-existant due to the oil!

Of course this would happen five days before leaving on a 3500km trip to northern Quebec!

The dealer is not sure if they can fit me in!!

So much for fine German engeneering!

tongue.gif

Andy

Jim VonBaden
Ok so three weeks after they replace both the input and output gearbox seals, and the clutch my bike has sprung this leak also! confused.gif

DSCF0469.jpg

As you can see it is leaking quite badly, the rear tire is covered in oil and the rear brake has become almost non-existant due to the oil!

Of course this would happen five days before leaving on a 3500km trip to northern Quebec!

The dealer is not sure if they can fit me in!!

So much for fine German engeneering!

tongue.gif

Andy

When they fixed mine it took all of half an hour. It is a simple seal behind the black plastic dust cover. Swap out the brake pads and clean the rotors and you are golden!

Good luck man!

Jim cool.gif

Archived