IGNORED

Highway Pegs that mount on R12RT crash bars??

bobbybob

Is anyone aware of highway Pegs that mount on R12RT crash bars? Wunderlich to be specific---I have read all about Elfs, S-curves, etc. but none that mount this way. I am wracking my brain to come up with some sort of bracket to do this but my brain is all wracked out.

Kuryakin,??spelling, makes all sorts of adjustable highway pegs for harley and metric cruiser. Check their catalog after measuring the diameter of your bars. I may have a pair of a gold wing in the garage yet, would be happy to see what size they fit, I do know it was smaller than the Harley standard 1inch bars. It is also fairly easy to make sleeves to fit harley style highway pegs to smaller diameter bars. You will have to live with chrome tho. thumbsup.gif

Kuryakin,??spelling, makes all sorts of adjustable highway pegs for harley and metric cruiser. Check their catalog after measuring the diameter of your bars. I may have a pair of a gold wing in the garage yet, would be happy to see what size they fit, I do know it was smaller than the Harley standard 1inch bars. It is also fairly easy to make sleeves to fit harley style highway pegs to smaller diameter bars. You will have to live with chrome tho. thumbsup.gif

Thanks--I've looked at the Kuryakins, they are for 1"-1.24" bars. The RT bars are all less than 1", but your suggestion of making "sleeves" may work. Only problem, with that small of a bar theres not much surface for a clamp to grip and not rotate with pressure on them. Maybe a modified clamp that would attach to the horizontal bar but also stabilized by the vertical bar that "loops" outward around the cyl head....hmmmmm

I have the ELF's that mount on the Valve covers, not on the crash bars, and i find them comfortable.

As i recall they were about $300. If I had it to do over again i wouldn't buy em. Not because they are uncomfortable, but because i dont think i need them. Let me explain.

On my last bike a Honda ST1300 " the most uncomfortable touring bike ever made" I needed them. So....i figured I'd buy somthing similar for my new '06 RT. I've found that I use them, but dont need them. The RT is so damn comfortable i just forget the ELF pegs are there.

To further clarify, I ride an '06 RT1200. I'm 6'2" with about a 32 inch inseam (accoring to levis) and 215 lbs. If that helps!

In short, great product that i don't need but may work great for you.

Hopefully this helps.

JD

GoGo Gadget

Thanks--I've looked at the Kuryakins, they are for 1"-1.24" bars. The RT bars are all less than 1", but your suggestion of making "sleeves" may work. Only problem, with that small of a bar theres not much surface for a clamp to grip and not rotate with pressure on them. Maybe a modified clamp that would attach to the horizontal bar but also stabilized by the vertical bar that "loops" outward around the cyl head....hmmmmm

You need a 1" long piece tubing that has an outside diameter the size the pegs were originally designed for. Then an inside diameter slightly smaller than the OD of your crash bars. Then have it split lengthwise with a bandsaw. That will give you two inserts that make up the size difference and the clamp that is attached to the pegs will do the rest.

I would think anyway. That was my plan before heading off on my 30 day CCC trip tomorrow, but alas, I have been way to busy to get much done as far as trip prep. At the end of my trip, I will certainly know how much I feel I need them. lol

Hello, I'm doing the same, I wanted crash bars to mount pegs, and extra lights.I've had the bars now for a month, but no time to set them up (tourtech)the pegs I thought would be easy to locate, metric cruiser stuff,let me know if you come up with some thing good.

JD

Thanks for the post. I thought I was the only north-of-200 lb guy on this site. When I told my wife I was going to buy a BMW she said I was too fat to ride one--belly too close to the tank. lmao.giflmao.gif

i just did this yesterday with the touratech crashbars. went to the local honda place and picked up a set of bikemaster highway pegs. they are adjustible have like a five tear system that adjust to the bar you put them on. wont fit on my smallest part of my crash bar but did fine an area they would fit on the front of the crash bar. one plus is there only $20 and easy to install. not the best looking things but will do the trick. heres a link to a set.

http://www.ridegear.com/rg/item/F-36027/BikeMaster/Rubber-Inlay-Footpeg.html?mv_pc=NetCon

Well, I tried a set of the Bikemaster-type pegs with the 5-tier setup but the clamping force just was not great enough--they rotated around the crash bar with minimal foot force on them. I suppose there's not enough contact area--however those other clamps on that website http://www.ridegear.com/rg/item/F-36027/BikeMaster/Rubber-Inlay-Footpeg.html?mv_pc=NetCon look kinda promising. Beginning to think theres not a good (i.e. cost effective)solution to this.

sorry didnt work i was able to use the smaller clamp and bend it in a little and worked just fine on my bars. hope you find something that will work. i only put mine on for this trip north so hopefully wont have any problems.

Dave--you wouldn't happen to have a pic of them would you? Love to see 'em. You can e-mail if you have one--see my profile e-mail address. Thanks.

Bob and DT

I have the simple ones that DT mentions. They are mounted on Touratech bars. Quite a bit of force to stop them from spinning.

I made the mistake of mounting first with the pegs above the bar, or towards the rider. Aside from being a bit close to my feet, when I laid the bike down in a parking lot, the pegs and mount swung in and dinged the valve cover. I now have the pegs forward of the crash bars, so that shouldn't happen.

For the record, mine are about 22 years old. I took them off my airhead.

GAry

I have the ELF's that mount on the Valve covers, not on the crash bars, and i find them comfortable.

As i recall they were about $300. If I had it to do over again i wouldn't buy em. Not because they are uncomfortable, but because i dont think i need them. Let me explain.

On my last bike a Honda ST1300 " the most uncomfortable touring bike ever made" I needed them. So....i figured I'd buy somthing similar for my new '06 RT. I've found that I use them, but dont need them. The RT is so damn comfortable i just forget the ELF pegs are there.

To further clarify, I ride an '06 RT1200. I'm 6'2" with about a 32 inch inseam (accoring to levis) and 215 lbs. If that helps!

In short, great product that i don't need but may work great for you.

Hopefully this helps.

JD

I'd have to agree. I installed elf pegs on my 06 RT cause I always have to have highway pegs. But I have used them once in over 18,000kms and that was more from boredom than any real need to stretch my legs. I too would skip them next time. I'm 6', 34" inseam and ride with the seat in the tall position.

unfortunately elf pegs wont work with the touratech crash bars as far as I can tell. I would have preferred the elf pegs. one of the reasons i got these were because they were cheap solution that way if i find out that i dont use them all that much then i wont be out much money. glad to hear the RT is comfortable enough on long ride with a person your height that maybe i wont have to use them on my upcoming trip. thanks thumbsup.gif

Thanks guys for all the input. I agree with DT, and although the Elf pegs WOULD work with my Wunderlich bars, I hate to spend $350 for something I may decide later I don't need--plus I have "his & hers" R12RT's, so double that amount! I see on J&P's website they have both the 7/8" & 1" 3-piece clamps that you screw together and have a larger contact surface than the universal "step-type" clamps, so I'm ordering 2 of each and will experiment with mounting the pegs on both the upright 1" diam. tubing and the 7/8" horizontal tubing. I may end up drilling a hole all the way thru the clamp and tubing and insert a clevis pin to prevent slipping--will post results. But I'm GONNA make it work thumbsup.gif .

This is my solution, on my Touratech bars.

pegs001Small.jpg

pegs002Small.jpg

I bought the parts at my local HD dealer (not cheap about $70) but it works great. You need.

2-33048-72 pegs

1-50900-72ta support pkg

2-50904-85t clamp

The clamps are for a 1" bar, so I cut a beverage can and wrapped it around the bar first. My bars measured .980.

Gene, looks great--actually I just ordered the same setup from J&P. My problem will be the bars are curved slightly so it will be tough to make it fit. BTW, you need to change the angle of yours just a little so that if they touch down in a turn, the force will fold them rearward & upward. They appear to be angled slightly forward--could lever the bike up if they touch down like that! tongue.gif

Gene, looks great--actually I just ordered the same setup from J&P. My problem will be the bars are curved slightly so it will be tough to make it fit. BTW, you need to change the angle of yours just a little so that if they touch down in a turn, the force will fold them rearward & upward. They appear to be angled slightly forward--could lever the bike up if they touch down like that! tongue.gif

Actually, they do angle back, but at that height, if they touch the ground I'm in big trouble!

GoGo Gadget

About 1300 miles into my current trip, I decided I wanted to stretch my legs. I nitially wrapped electrical tape around the bars to give it more girth for the pegs to grab onto. They rotated around when I put my feet on them while on the highway. So I stopped at the hardware store and bought some PVC pipe fittings and used that as shims to add the necessary girth. They are solid now and work fine.

Pegfix.jpg

<"Actually, they do angle back">

Gene--pls. correct me if I am wrong, maybe the angle is exaggerated by your photo--but it really appears the peg would fold upwards & slightly *forward*, not upwards and slightly *rearwards*. The rearward folding motion insures that the peg folds UP if it touches down with you moving forward. The way it looks, it could actually lock into position with rearward pressure from a "touch-down" and cause a low-side. Reach down and grab your rider footpeg and fold it up--note the way it moves--rearwards. Would the highway peg move that way also? If so, my bad--maybe I need some eyewash tongue.gif

<"but at that height, if they touch the ground I'm in big trouble!">

Gene, it is a known issue that the Touratech bars will decrease the available lean angle somewhat. Compound this fact with a set of highway pegs hanging out there, while you're riding uphill on a steep inside hairpin turn, and you'll touchdown and be sliding sideways before you know what happened. Without leaning much at all.

I have to agree with bobbybob on this the way the pic shows this may be a problem could be mistaken as well but just looking at the picture provided not sure I would have them folding that way.

<"Actually, they do angle back">

Gene--pls. correct me if I am wrong, maybe the angle is exaggerated by your photo--but it really appears the peg would fold upwards & slightly *forward*, not upwards and slightly *rearwards*. The rearward folding motion insures that the peg folds UP if it touches down with you moving forward. The way it looks, it could actually lock into position with rearward pressure from a "touch-down" and cause a low-side. Reach down and grab your rider footpeg and fold it up--note the way it moves--rearwards. Would the highway peg move that way also? If so, my bad--maybe I need some eyewash tongue.gif

<"but at that height, if they touch the ground I'm in big trouble!">

Gene, it is a known issue that the Touratech bars will decrease the available lean angle somewhat. Compound this fact with a set of highway pegs hanging out there, while you're riding uphill on a steep inside hairpin turn, and you'll touchdown and be sliding sideways before you know what happened. Without leaning much at all.

I have to agree with bobbybob on this the way the pic shows this may be a problem could be mistaken as well but just looking at the picture provided not sure I would have them folding that way.

I appeciate your concern, but the only time I will be using the highway pegs is when I'm on a highway. When I'm on the twisties they wil be folded out of the way. I know I could rotate the peg support brkt. approx. 45* but then they won't tuck in as well when folded up. I have no worries about the peg mounting causing a crash. Once again, thanks for your concern.

<"I appeciate your concern, but the only time I will be using the highway pegs is when I'm on a highway. When I'm on the twisties they wil be folded out of the way. I know I could rotate the peg support brkt. approx. 45* but then they won't tuck in as well when folded up. I have no worries about the peg mounting causing a crash. Once again, thanks for your concern.">

Gene--here's one last reason to change the angle. First time you walk past the bike in your garage and catch your leg on it, you will probably grab the closest hammer and beat it into oblivion. lmao.gif Don't ask me how I know this. dopeslap.gif

About 1300 miles into my current trip, I decided I wanted to stretch my legs. I nitially wrapped electrical tape around the bars to give it more girth for the pegs to grab onto. They rotated around when I put my feet on them while on the highway. So I stopped at the hardware store and bought some PVC pipe fittings and used that as shims to add the necessary girth. They are solid now and work fine.

Pegfix.jpg

Great idea--and it preserves the finish of the bars too. I'll have to remember this when I start experimenting later today. Although I'm surprised the pvc offered more grip than metal to metal--maybe the ability to conform more closely to the surface than metal is what makes it work.

Gene--here's one last reason to change the angle. First time you walk past the bike in your garage and catch your leg on it, you will probably grab the closest hammer and beat it into oblivion. Don't ask me how I know this.

Guess what? I changed them.

Archived