IGNORED

Two up camping

bmwsit

Thinking about selling my R and getting a 12RT. Was wondering how many people actually camp with their RT. Wife and I want to start doing some camping and we are wondering how it is riding two up and getting gear on the bike and the bike into the campground. Any thoughts? I know the R could do it, and we may just use it anyway, but the RT is so much nicer when two up and would make it a nicer commute to work in the winter. Figure for as often as we would really use the off road capability of the GS, the all weather capability of the RT would be better to upgrade to and would make long road trips nicer for her on the back.

Hay just a tought,,You mite check out UNI-GO Trailers,,AZ AL has one for his RS,,I dont think he ever goes under 100 mph,,People I take to with them say Its like its not even there!!But yes I camp with my R1200RT,No problem on dirt roads,,

Just an idea, that you probably already thought of. Keep the R for the wife, get the RT for you. Two bikes, two riders beats two people on one of anything.

Dave McReynolds

By using the same lightweight, highly compressible stuff we use backpacking, we were able to get a tent, poles, 2 small thermarests, 2 sleeping bags, extra clothes, lightweight shoes for both of us, water bottles, & a certain amount of other essential junk into the two side cases and the small top case of my K1200GT. Everything fit inside, because we planned to eat out. Carrying enough food to cook and a small backpack stove would have required some things to be tied on outside somewhere outside the cases. Having a tank bag would have helped, but I haven't gotten that for the KGT yet. If anything, I think you have more storage room on the RT, so it definitely can be done. With a larger top case, food and stove would have been no problem.

Have thought about trying to keep the R for her, but she so far is pretty attached to her Guzzi. She likes it around town, but I think prefers two up for longer distances.

I have camped many times off of my old R1150RT. I even have a picture of the bike loaded down with firewood. The key is to get very compact gear such as the tent, sleeping bags and ground pads. I would suggest you get some bungy buddies and attach them to the side cases and use them to strap your soft and lite stuff like sleeping bags on the top of the side cases. Get a large waterproof duffle bag or cayak stuff sack for the tent ground pads and smaller hard stuff like a burner, pots and pans. Attach this to your rear rack instead of the BMW hard case. If you are going to camp regularly consider the ez-go tow along pod. Alternatively, if you are going to do some serious camping get a GS with large hard case bags. If your going to camp off of the RT plan on grocery shopping every day or every other day or eat at local restaurants.

Cheers! wave.gif

Nothing beats a GS with Jesse or other aftermarket luggage. My pillions have found the GS to be most comfy, too. The Jesse bags back all the difference when packing for two.

--sam

Todd,

I have never heard of the ez-go tow pod. Care to share the link to it? I googled a couple of times and no love.

My wife and I use our '03 RT for two-up camping. It works great. I have the wide lids on my side cases, she gets one, I get the other. Then we use a "U-Pack" for the tent, sleeping pads, sleeping bags, camp stools, etc. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

So that I am sure what Todd meant when he said ez-go tow pod, he was referring to the Uni-Go. Todd, is that correct?

My bad, I shoulda looked that up. I meant the Uni-Go. A friend of mine had one and he used to whip through the sweepers at 100+ and he said he couldn't even feel it back there. Oh yeah, totally forgot about the U-Pack. It is amazing how much stuff you can get in one of them and how well they fit the bike. I have a friend who has one and does two up camping on his RT with the U-Pack. he loves it.

Cheers!

We camp with the GT.

Here's a pic of a small U pack, and some of the stuff that we carry in it.

Torreya2007039.jpg

Here it is w/out rain cover. The small bag on top I use to keep rain gear in for quick access.

DSC01209.jpg

In addition to tent/fly/grouncloth, 2 chairs, stove/grill/fuel/utensils, we also carry 2 sleeping bags, silk sheets, inflatable matresses/w/airpump, 5 camp pillows, micro fleece bankets/towels, LED lights/lantern, and much more.

Go for it. wave.gif

Archived