IGNORED

Trunk only riding with the R1200RT

fourteenfour

fourteenfour

I am thinking of removing the saddle bags and going trunk only on my RT (when I get the trunk, ordered Tuesday)

Any wind effects? Does it whip around to your back? Affect on handling versus having the weight down low with the saddlebags?

ChrisRappl

In my opinion the RT looks best with no bags. I always need to carry something so the saddlebags stay on most of the time. I add the topbox when I need extra storage or when I carry a passenger so that they have the backrest behind them. I have ridden with just the topbox thinking that it would narrow the bike enough to attempt some lane-splitting, but the bike stilled seem pretty wide and I didn't try it. I did not notice any adverse handling, etc. But I may just be kind of oblivious, so YMMV.

Chris,

I've been doing just the trunk for commuting with no ill effects. The Givi V46 is big enough for a laptop and lunch, the shoes stay at work under the desk.

I have ridden (1100RT and now 1200RT) trunk only for the last seven years without a problem. I only use the panniers when touring as they make the rear end too big for city riding. The large top box is great for storing the helmet and jacket when parked. Now that the 1200RT panniers are painted, this is another reason to leave them at home and avoid any scratches frown.gif

Cheers

I am thinking of removing the saddle bags and going trunk only on my RT (when I get the trunk, ordered Tuesday)

(quote)

I ride mine as bare as possible....

IMG_0380.jpg

This is the way I ride for day trips and whenever I can with a small Cortech tank bag converted to a tail bag (works very well there) with tire stuff, first aid, etc. in it, and a small Touratech tank bag...Work my way up through side cases to top case as needed for longer trips....It handles very nicely in the nude.....Some difference, of course, when fully loaded but still feels good.....

An aside; I think the 1200RT is more suseptible to being moved by the wind than the 1150RT my wife rides...But that's just me......

Thinking about a big Tourtech tank bag as another step up in carring ability but don't like the price....... tongue.gif

Phil........Redbrick

I agree with Cags. The bags only go on for trips or grocery shopping and the 49 liter top case only comes off for cleaning. No problems with stability whatsoever and it is also much easier to maneuver the bike in and out of my 1 1/2 car garage.

i commute alot about 50 miles each way and have notice that with the top trunk on in my opinion the bike actually doesnt whip around as much. not sure why but when i have the bmw 49 on there it is actually a smoother ride.

I mainly use my 50 liter givi and leave the bags home. I found I get better gas mileage and no top heavy problems. cool.gif

I used to have a K1200LTC and so I am used to big and bulky. I run with the top trunk only, and love the sleek look and feel. I need the top trunk for the extra tools and tire repair kit. For bigger trips I put the panniers on to haul the rest of the "junk."

The R bike is lighter and more susceptible to wind than the K bike, but not all that much. And, I don't think having the trunk on makes any difference to speak of.

I do LOVE the lighter weight and enhanced performance. Too bad the seat sucks. tongue.gif

Dr J

maxfrankel

For 10 years, I rode my R11RT with the topcase (a large GIVI) attached at all times. I only used the side cases for long trips. I am now doing the same with my R12RT. I never have experienced any particular problem with this arrangement. The large topcase, always available, gets LOTS of use, whether is a grocery store run, or just for always having available, unanticipated weather gear.

bobanddianne

We have two bikes that are ridden with just the large GIVI top box on. This gives us room for some shopping, etc. while still leaving the bike nice and narrow for lane sharing. And here in L.A. I do like my lane sharing.

The saddle bags only go on for longer trips.

Both the 94 R1100RS and the 07 R1200RT have been up into three digits with no adverse effects what-so-ever.

I also do a lot (perhaps most) of my riding with the trunk/top case/tail bag attached (1100RT)

No adverse effect.

Like others, I enjoy having the space should I need to do a little shopping while I'm out.

One consideration that made me stick with my side cases, is SAFETY.

Some article I read once convinced me that, in the event of an emergency, the side cases may actually protect you from injury.

If you're hit from the side by a car, or lay the bike down and slide it along the road, those side cases can take the brunt of the damage,

it's something to consider. wink.gif

fourteenfour

well thanks for the responses and insight. While awaiting for my trunk to arrive I have am going to and from work using only the tankbag. Leaving the shoes at work in my desk reduces what I need to carry.

Getting used to having the tankbag isn't that bad so far, will swap to the trunk once it arrives depending on the weather... fair weather I will probably remove the rain suit from the tank bag to give a little more space; using the BMW model

Archived