IGNORED

2001 LT with 91k

Bob

Although some K motors have legendary durability, I’m not familiar enough with its application in the LT to know where it would be in its touring life. For the LT experienced, comments and observations please. It just had its clutch replaced.

Thanks,

Bob

I had a 99 LT which I bought with 20,000 miles and kept for 3 years - traded it in with 70,000 miles. Only problem I had, at about 60K, was the clutch slave cylinder leaking onto the clutch. All replaced and fine after that.

The motor and gearbox and rear drive can go for several hundrded thousand miles with normal maintenance.

Good luck. Stuart

motorman587

I have a 99 with 35k on the speedo. I got it 3 years ago with 15K on it. The only thing I have had to replace so far was a drive shaft. For whatever reason, it wiggled out to where it ate up some teeth near the final drive at the universal joint. This has been the only repair. Planning to ride it to Alaska in 4 days. Let you know if I break down. wink.gif

With a new clutch and slave, (it did have the slave replaced didn't it?) you will be fine as long as it is in good condition. Some on the LT board have up to 300K on the motors.

Although some K motors have legendary durability, I’m not familiar enough with its application in the LT to know where it would be in its touring life. For the LT experienced, comments and observations please. It just had its clutch replaced.

Any life left?? Surely you jest! grin.gif

The thing is barely broken in! My K100RT ('86) -same basic motor as your bike- has nearly 200,000 km on it, and runs GREAT! Original clutch too. These K motors last for bloody ever! There are some people with over 500,000 km on them.

Bruce, thanks for the link. I'll kick around on it a bit.

While you're there, do a search on final drive failures.

Thank you RFW. I am somewhat familiar with the K100 motor, but WAY out of my knowledge base on the K1200

Bob

Wow Bob,

thats a huge change from the days of the RT and what a turn around from a health standard. Good for you!! Im excited for you.

John

Paul Mihalka

Bob, somehow I didn't realize that this thread about a K1200LT is by you. Somehow you and a LT didn't fit in the same frame in my mind. All I can say is thumbsup.gif

Bob: there are some many low mileage BMWs for sale that I can't see any value to be gained in buying one with 91k miles.

Sometimes we get wild hairs replace sensibility grin.gif Sure can't hold a candle to your antics over the years, but I'll bet a dollar our uber-grins match after rides - the difference is that yours is 1,000 miles to my block lmao.gif. Barbara sends her love and hugs, my friend. I think that a bunch of us are waiting to see how you personalize your R1200GS, Paul, so please be sure and share as quickly as you can.

Bob

Steve, you are absolutely correct. I'll be buying used for a second bike when I take the plunge, and a few thousand more to whittle miles isn't an issue.

In my LT research there seems to be concensus that there was a large difference in handling starting in 2005. The last LT I rode was in '01. Things change and so do people, so I'll have to check that out when I'm ready to jump.

I've got my little '06 F650GS to play on, and what an absolute blast and light bike it is. What I want this last time is power, pampering ergo and creature comforts (subjective), and longevity to outlast me.

Thanks,

Bob

NathanJessup

The engine is bulletproof - I have an 05 LT which is alittle prettier, more chrome and hydraulic centerstand and has a few more gadgets than previous models but handling feels the same to me as my buddies 03 LT. 05 has 117HP while pre-05 has ONLY 100 Hp... both run great and handle beautifully. As mentioned the Clutch slave cylinder is the only achilles heel on this bike, but what bike is perfet anyhow? NOTHING is as comfortable or better handlling than this bike. Not my goldwwings or Harley Dressers... THIS is my lastTouring bike...

Thank you, Nathan, for your real-world perspective of no difference between your '05 and your friend's '03.

Bob

I noticed an LT on IBMWR today, advertised for sale, with I believe 169K on the clock.

Maybe the owner would be willing to discuss?

Good Luck...

I had a 2001 LT, had a fuel return line problem at 86 miles, there was later some sort of recall for that. At 23k miles on a trip the final drive went. Everyone I know personally that had an LT had a final drive go. All of them (and me included) got rid of them. I loved to ride the bike but when the final drive went it was 4 months out of warranty and BMW would not make good on it. Turned me off on BMW's for a while then they came out with the RT1200, hopefully I'll have better luck with this.

Archived