IGNORED

Tracked the R1200ST for the first time!

lightcycle

lightcycle

Our local BMW dealership hosted a trackday today and I took the R12ST out for the first time! Although billed as a sport-tourer, it acquitted itself quite nicely on the track. Our ST is pretty much stock, just had to stiffen the rear suspension all the way (I don't have ESA), and even then it was not as tight and responsive as a true sportbike. The tank is very wide which makes it a bit tough to hang off. My first efforts also had my kneesliders clicking the jugs or the engine guard on the way over. The handlebars are a bit too high for track duty as well, as I felt I was too upright. The throttle response is nice and linear in the higher rev ranges, not peaky/twitchy at all. The brakes are fine, but the telelever really allows you to trailbrake into a corner without too much dive/drama. The weight of the bike makes itself known in the chicanes, when you have to shift your weight from side to side quite rapidly. I found that I needed much more deliberate steering inputs than on a lighter sportsbike.

After stalking the other bikes (it likes to eat GSs for breakfast), a few of the other riders commented on the ST's huge headlight, "It's like watching a freight train come up behind you!". What a great bike!

158293539-L.jpg

Gene,

Nice photo. Your comments mirror my experience when I had my ST at the Infineon track last year. I had a great time. It's great fun to learn how far you can push the ST over.

I was surprised to read the comment about the headlight. We had to cover all of our lights with masking tape.

lightcycle

Eschelon1: Red adds 5hp, baby!

Tim: I was surprised too, no tape on mirrors, lights or license plate. I think they just took one look at the ST's headlight and said, "Yeah, we don't have enough tape to cover that".

bmurphypdx

Just had my first track day with my 07 R12ST, today at Pacific Raceways south of Seattle. All I can say is Yeehaa!!

Archived