IGNORED

HOT starting problem

Parrothead

Parrothead

Hi all,

96RT with 65K on the clock. Used the bike all day in Vegas moving from meeting to meeting, about 2 hours in between each. No problems starting. Temp now about 95 degrees. Bike is now parked in the shade on a slight uphill incline, fuel gauge at 3 bars, temp gauge at 2 bars. Attempted to start the bike after a short 30 minute meeting and no go. Fuel pump engaged, smell gas, bike would lite and run just under 1000 RPM and slowly fade out after about 5 or 6 seconds. Any attempt to give it gas would cause it to shut down immediately. Repeat, repeat, repeat, gas, no gas, gas, no gas.....you get the picture. Is this thing flooded or does it sound like something different? I'm going to let it sit for a few hours, go back and try again. Any other thoughts or ideas would be welcome from the great knowledge of this collective forum.

Thanks in advance for your input.

alan

Hi all,

96RT with 65K on the clock. Used the bike all day in Vegas moving from meeting to meeting, about 2 hours in between each. No problems starting. Temp now about 95 degrees. Bike is now parked in the shade on a slight uphill incline, fuel gauge at 3 bars, temp gauge at 2 bars. Attempted to start the bike after a short 30 minute meeting and no go. Fuel pump engaged, smell gas, bike would lite and run just under 1000 RPM and slowly fade out after about 5 or 6 seconds. Any attempt to give it gas would cause it to shut down immediately. Repeat, repeat, repeat, gas, no gas, gas, no gas.....you get the picture. Is this thing flooded or does it sound like something different? I'm going to let it sit for a few hours, go back and try again. Any other thoughts or ideas would be welcome from the great knowledge of this collective forum.

Thanks in advance for your input.

alan

Alan, try opening the fuel cap to see if there is a lot of pressure build up in there.. If so check your tank vent or verify your vapor canister isn’t plugged..

If nothing found there I don’t know what to tell you.. Could be the hall sensor gone south from heat soak (probably wouldn’t start at all though but you never know)..

I guess if you smell raw gasoline it wouldn’t hurt to check for a good solid bluish spark to the spark plugs.. If no spark or yellow spark look for HES or ign coil related problem.. If a good blue spark then look for possible fuel problem..

Hope it re-starts when it cools off as it is difficult to help you much without the bike being in front of us here..

Twisty

Parrothead

Thanks twisty,

Checked your list of possibles, after two tries she fired up like nothing happened clap.gif..........seems to me it was hot and flooded, but just for good measure the HES harness from BMWmick and a few other choice items will be replaced this winter. Wish me luck this summer riding in the Vegas blast furnace. Think I'll stay close to home this year although a was planning a ride in July through the Sierras and coastal California. Not fun having a bear chew on my butt as I perform surgery on the bike in Yosemite lmao.gif

thanks again for the help, I think the pressure release did wonders.........

Archived