IGNORED

motolight wiring question R1200RT

murfz1200

I have an 05 R1200RT & just purchased Motolights. My dealer can't install them for a few weeks & I'm leaving for Asheville on Wednesday. I have no problem installing them, but I need to know how to connect the wiring. I know the canbus dictates how they should be connected. Thanks! confused.gif

Your best bet is to use an auxiliary fuseblock that's relay-controlled. On my ST (the same basic setup), I hooked the fuse block's main power and ground wires directly to my battery terminals, then hooked the relay into the auxiliary power outlet, which powers off about one minute after the bike's turned off. An even better approach is to use the front "city light" (parking light), but the wiring for that lamp is a little tough to get to on the ST.

If you don't have the time to get a fuse box, wire them right to the battery with the switched power to your favorite switched source - there are many. Mike's suggestion of the AUX power socket or park light is perfect. Use a posi-tap or 3M's Scotch Tap. thumbsup.gif

99Roadster
If you don't have the time to get a fuse box, wire them right to the battery with the switched power to your favorite switched source - there are many. Mike's suggestion of the AUX power socket or park light is perfect. Use a posi-tap or 3M's Scotch Tap. thumbsup.gif

That's how my dealer installed mine. Used the diagnostic connector to trigger the relay. No fuse block, yet.

My dealership is telling me that tapping into dianostic socket is causing problems when testing on the 07s,,They have to keep batt at 13 volts when testing and down loading,They had to get a charger to keep volts up,You also have to trust you dealer now,BMW is cracking down,If a dealer sends in a card to BMW saying up taped into wires,NO MORE WARENTY,,Some dealers are doing this,,Hook up your relay to aux wire,,

My dealership is telling me that tapping into diagnostic socket is causing problems when testing on the 07s,,They have to keep batt at 13 volts when testing and down loading,
How is it going to cause a voltage drop if the connected light's relay or whatever is off? It's just a dead wire. More dealer song and dance garbage.

That being said, given some dealer's lack of knowledge about electrical systems, I do think the diagnostic connector is a poor choice just because it is so 'sacred' to them. A spice connector there is a big red flag and a convenient scapegoat for them to use when something else is wrong. Although their logic behind it is malarkey.

John the owner of Iron Horse ant that kind of guy,#1 dealer in the USA,There techs are the best,Ask any one in AZ,,My main point is that dealers are voiding warenty for doing this,ASk service manager if this is a problem before you let them work on your bike??

I wired the switch/relay into the front accessory socket and the main power lead directly to the battery. The accessory socket has power on for about 30 to 45 seconds after turning off the ignition, but wired this way, you won't forget them and run the battery down. Biggest issue with installing them is stripping off the tupperware and removing the gas tank to run the wiring cleanly to the battery. Be sure to leave some slack in the wires from the Motolights up to the headstock area, for turning. And, be sure to wire-tie all the wiring so nothing rubs.

John the owner of Iron Horse ant that kind of guy,#1 dealer in the USA,There techs are the best,Ask any one in AZ,,My main point is that dealers are voiding warenty for doing this,ASk service manager if this is a problem before you let them work on your bike??

Tim--

I'm fairly certain that Ken's technically correct, and I'm sure you're accurately reporting what Iron Horse told you. However, to use Ken's word, the idea that a dealer can void a warranty is pure "malarkey." The warranty is the legal obligation of the manufacturer/importer and, while the dealer may certainly influence BMW to deny a warranty claim, a dealer has no right to "void" BMW's warranty.

Having said that, if an owner does something to his bike to cause the failure--like screwing up the wiring system--then he doesn't have any right to complain--a component failure that is caused by an improper owner modification would not and should not be covered by a manufacturer's warranty. It really does bug me, though, to hear of dealers threatening to void warranties. I don't doubt you when you say that the folks at Iron Horse are good people, but if they're threatening to void warranties, it's genuinely misleading. If someone is telling customers this, then they should be given a hard slap. ooo.gif

By contrast, my dealer (Tag Sport in Geneva, IL) seems to have a pretty good handle on both CAN-Bus and warranty issues. Let's not tell anyone this, but they've even installed an aftermarket electrical accessory for me, telling me in advance how they were going to do it and assuring me that it would have no impact on the electrical system.

Never said Iron Horse threaten to take away warrantie,They dont play that game,,They just told me that other dealers are playing that game!!! thumbsup.gif

I installed my MotoLights direct to the battery and the +12V to the relay coming from the front left parking lamp near the light. You can reach this by removing the left mirrow housing and the small triangle painted piece in front of the mirrow. You can then reach in and twist out the lamp socket to give you room to solder the wire to the +12V wire going to the lamp. I put in a quick disconnect so that I can easily disconnect the MotoLights when I bring the bike to the dealer for warranty issues that are electrical in nature. I've had no canbus issues with this set up although it was the first thing the dealer blamed when my cruise control was not working.

If the dealer dertermines that you electrical problem is due to an after market device you installed you will have to pay for the warranty repair. By being able to disconnect all add on asscessories I eliminate them from the equation.

although it was the first thing the dealer blamed when my cruise control was not working
The dealer said you cruise didn't work because you had motolights!?! lmao.gif

What's next, someone's BMW bike won't start because their non-BMW brand jacket is red?

I swear, some of the stuff dealers spout just drives me crazy. tongue.gif

Finished the project last night. I decided to jump in head first & removed all the plastic. I ran the wiring harness under the gas tank. I tapped the +12vdc from the accessory plug & mounted the on/off switch under the plug (see photo). Thanks to everyone for their valuble advice.

870669-PIC00046.JPG.5b098e890b1854818ea83e36b4d847fc.JPG

Archived