IGNORED

Left cam chain tensioner.

StevenM

I'm sure this question has been posted before,but I want to be sure of my course of action on this issue. My dealer has offered to do the upgrade on the cam chain tensioner under warranty . My warranty will be up in June. I have gotten the impression that this issue is no more than a nuisance(noisy)and wouldn't cause any actual harm to the engine.The one reason that I woudn't want this done is that if it doesn't hurt anything than why have unecessary work done and take the chance of something else going bad due to mech tearing into my engine. What's your opinion on this.Thanks in advance for any responses.

I'm sure this question has been posted before,but I want to be sure of my course of action on this issue. My dealer has offered to do the upgrade on the cam chain tensioner under warranty . My warranty will be up in June. I have gotten the impression that this issue is no more than a nuisance(noisy)and wouldn't cause any actual harm to the engine.The one reason that I woudn't want this done is that if it doesn't hurt anything than why have unecessary work done and take the chance of something else going bad due to mech tearing into my engine. What's your opinion on this.Thanks in advance for any responses.

Steven, it (the noise in & of itself won’t cause any harm) but the bike sure sounds better on start up with the new parts installed.. There are other possible effects of installing/not installing.. On my 1150RT I would get a start stall on most cold start-ups, the new chain tensioner cured the stall on cold start up..

When it comes to reselling your bike it will be much easier to sell without that nasty start-up clatter..

It is a pretty seamless install so not much can go wrong… The parts can’t drop down through the hole so nothing can drop into the engine..

Twisty

Steve, Yes it does but I don't think it is always covered under warranty. I think it's at the dealers discretion whether or not they'll cover it.

Twisty1,Thanks for your input. I think I'll go ahead and have it done just in case the noise isn't just the tensioner.

silverhornet

I have installed this mod on my 01 R1150RS, and just cannot believe the difference it has made to the bike.

Apart from the cold/hot start up noise,the bike runs a lot sweeter,and returns slightly better MPG.

I have also installed one on my 03 Rockster, which took 20 mins start to finish (no fairing).

A friend fitted one to his 1100R and agreed how nice and smooth his bike had become.

Highly recommended,cheap,easy, modification thumbsup.gif

The noise is caused by the cam chain flailing under insufficient tension. I feel (without evidence) that this is not good and may lead to an early failure of the tensioner plastic rail which needs the crankcase to be split to fix. Big bucks. As others have said it is an easy fix the engine is not torn down - you unbolt the old tensioner from the outside and bolt in the new one. A very low-risk task with big potential benefits.

Go for it.

Andy

DavidEBSmith

As others have said it is an easy fix the engine is not torn down - you unbolt the old tensioner from the outside and bolt in the new one. A very low-risk task with big potential benefits.

Looking at the parts diagram, it shows the left tensioner on the top and the right tensioner on the bottom. I thought it was the one one the top (which would be the left one) that's tricky to install? Isn't one of the two tensioners much trickier to work on, with the possibility of dropping something into the engine?

As others have said it is an easy fix the engine is not torn down - you unbolt the old tensioner from the outside and bolt in the new one. A very low-risk task with big potential benefits.

Looking at the parts diagram, it shows the left tensioner on the top and the right tensioner on the bottom. I thought it was the one one the top (which would be the left one) that's tricky to install? Isn't one of the two tensioners much trickier to work on, with the possibility of dropping something into the engine?

Fortunately the parts are too big to fall into the engine. The hard part is that the LH throttle body is somewhat in the way, but that is also not too difficult to remove/refit.

Andy

What do you guys mean "CHEAP" ?

My dealer told me $300.00 !!

Did he err ?

Steven, if it would otherwise cost you 300 smackers and you can get it covered by warranty - go quickly now !!

SAAB93driver

You're getting hosed. I paid under $40 for the new style tensioner a couple years ago.

Current list prices as follows:

11 31 7 656 922 piston $39

11 31 7 688 629 cylinder $26

07119963308 seal ring $ 0.21

Still relatively cheap IMO.

Chicago BMW discounts these prices 20%.

Is this a Tech Bulletin replacement, or is it the dealer that decides if the cam chain is making too much noise?

Is there a specific range of VINs affected by this? Mine makes a little clanking noise at start up, but goes away after about 10 seconds. I just assumed it was engine noise until the oil pressure builds up.

eek.gif

Replaced cam chain tensioner the other day and went for a 100 mile ride. Bike was quiet and I expected that then I noticed that there was no more popping or mild backfiring into the muffler when backing off the throttle. Then I noticed the bike seemed to run smoother and idle better. I kept telling myself that it is just my imagination or maybe it was just the beautiful weather and a good nights sleep the night before. Well, none of the above, the bike really does run better overall and is much quieter. When it was fully warmed up I could always hear a rattle type sound that would get worse under hard acceleration, no more! Replace your cam chain tensioner you won't regret it. smile.gif

What do you guys mean "CHEAP" ?

My dealer told me $300.00 !!

Did he err ?

Steven, if it would otherwise cost you 300 smackers and you can get it covered by warranty - go quickly now !!

Mark, possibly not.. There were a few different iterations of the IMPROVED cam chain tensioner with I believe the first or second design being a highly machined part(s) that were quite expensive.. If he included labor or the price reflected both labor & the early parts that $300.00 would probably be in the ball park..

The latest replacement parts are just OEM chain tensioner parts from the BMW 1200 so the parts price has dropped considerably..

Twisty

Twisty, are the part numbers that SAAB.. listed above current? I'll call my dealer back and quote him these part numbers. If the price is what you guys say it is, I'll blast him. I was just down there two days ago and they are 85 miles away !

Twisty has it right, there were three iterations of the cam tensioner assembly with the second (first 'upgrade') being very expensive, and the current (I believe those are the correct p/n above, same as the hexhead parts) being much more reasonable. Your dealer may be working off of an old service bulletin.

I spoke to the service manager at the dealership yesterday.After reviewing my records, he found that my warranty had actually expired on 5/28. OOPs!!!!!Anyway, he said they would cover the cost of the job since I had inquired about it before my warranty had expired. He said the job was approximately $200 parts and labor.

SAAB93driver
Twisty, are the part numbers that SAAB.. listed above current? I'll call my dealer back and quote him these part numbers. If the price is what you guys say it is, I'll blast him. I was just down there two days ago and they are 85 miles away !

Those part numbers are from my receipt from 2005 and they match what the widsom thread on ADV rider says is current as of 2007

cam tensioner swap

They are supposed to be the same parts as what is on the 1200RT/ST, but I have not cross checked it. Also get the o-ring for the thottle body as you made need to replace that while doing the procedure.

I did this on my 98 GS. It was a piece of cake and made a big difference in the ugly startup sound department.

Have to get the parts for the RT.

They are supposed to be the same parts as what is on the 1200RT/ST, but I have not cross checked it. Also get the o-ring for the thottle body as you made need to replace that while doing the procedure.

Yes, I've heard that too, but realoem shows the older spring type for the GS/RT/ST. Maybe the parts list hasn't caught up.

Mark here a thread from about the time I installed the 1200 Hex Head parts in my 1150RT.. These were the parts I used.. Possibly superseded by now though.. Would still be 1200 parts though..

The new (1200) tensioner parts have the little hydraulic system mounted upside down in relation to the OEM 1100 or 1150 original piston/spring assembly.. What that does is TRAP the oil in the hydraulic part between the piston & outer tube so it CAN’T bleed down when it sits overnight.. Works wonderfully!!!

Twisty

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/sh...true#Post747240

Archived