IGNORED

2 killed, 15 injured in police chase of speeding biker

John in VA

Visit scenic colorado in July on a weekend. Pick your favorite canyon road. Miles and miles of beutiful corners and scenery. Now litter it with 50 foot motorhomes pulling boats and enclosed trailers. You may travel 40 miles behind one of those going 20mph before any opportunity to pass. Remember those things are in both lanes. Usually the highway dept has laid out really "greasy" longitudinal tar snakes that melt in the afternoon sun. Turnouts are always littered with them with families taking pictures and sometimes backing up into the traffic lanes for a better perspective. Police rarely patrol those highways on weekends. wave.gif

I've never understood why a boat and a trailer can both be towed by the same vehicle at the same time, touring by motorcyle is so much easier. clap.gif

It's been too long since I've seen Colorado..You just reminded why I love Colorado and why I hate Colorado. thumbsup.gif

I thought they where just suppose to get the

license plate number and pick them up later.

Must have wanted this guy real bad.

I have been involved in many, many high speed chases and often wondered why the perps do it?? Often times it is the chase instinct that compels LEO's to do this. It doesn't say how long the pursuit was going on and the conditions it took place in. Most if not all departments have policies in place to cover these types of things. I hate to judge the LEO's based on limited info. I wonder what the LEO's supervisor was doing at the time?? This is a tragic event that will no doubt continue with a tort action against the dept. It will also bring about change I am sure although the lesson learned may be costly for all. Hope they find the perp and he is charged accordingly.

Thanks for pointing out that many policies are put in effect, not to hamper police, but to help control "the chase instinct".

As a fire fighter for many years, I can attest to the need to control your driving. While we are not chasing anyone, there is something about that pager toning out, the urgency of the call, and getting behind the wheel of that big truck with all its lights, siren, and air horn. We must learn to control that rush of adrenaline and drive in a manner that gets us safely to the call.

Tunnel vision has led to many accidents involving emergency vehicles.

BTW, I was the "victim" of a pursuit that ended in the deaths of two people. Fortunately the only dead and injured were in the stolen car I was chasing. I was placed on admin leave for one week while the CHP, district attorney and my department conducted a joint investigation and reconstruction into the circumstances of the fatility that occurred while these people were in my "custody". Three months later, I was subjected to a coroners inquest where a grand jury decides whether the death was accidental, intentional or at the "hands of another". Then I get to wait another year while the ineveitable civil lawsuit is filed charging me with federal civil rights violation. I was cleared in the end but was it worth to jeopardize my career and retirement to recover a stolen (and now totaled) $1500 Saturn?

Yes it was..Not for the value of the car but for the value of preserving a somewhat orderly society where people are governed by laws and those who break them are brought to justice. If we lose that we lose much more than a car.

Thanks for doing your job well and making the sacrifice required by our sometimes screwed up system. thumbsup.gif

I respect all LEO's and am grateful they are willing to serve.

This statement, taken to it's logical conclusion, would IMO lead to undesirable results. There are times where the end does not justify the means.

• 8 months later...

According to CNN today the motorcyclist has been interviewed and released. Officer Campbell (spelling?) has been charged with two counts of veh. homocide.

This comes on the heels of Baltimore Officer "Dude" Rivieri showing up on youtube harrassing and assaulting a 14 yr. old boy.

Archived